New bar under town hall

There are public toilets in orchard square.

Seems to have gone quiet on the bar plan, must be a year or two since idea was announced?

They shut at four o'clock, if you're lucky. They're also being run down and might well disappear. My point is that councils are meant to provide public services for the people of the city. If they believe in that principle, why stop the toilets from being returned to use when funding improves?

Guest sibon
There are public toilets in orchard square.

Seems to have gone quiet on the bar plan, must be a year or two since idea was announced?

Work has started according to The Star.

---------- Post added 11-07-2017 at 18:58 ----------

They shut at four o'clock, if you're lucky. They're also being run down and might well disappear. My point is that councils are meant to provide public services for the people of the city. If they believe in that principle, why stop the toilets from being returned to use when funding improves?

There are plenty of city centre toilets. They don't have to be council run, you know.

Guest makapaka
I think it's disgraceful. Closing down public utilities because of austerity cuts, but not thinking ahead to mothball the facilities until such time as the financial reign of terror is over. I didn't think much of Sheffield Council anyway, and this doesn't help.

There's loads of toilets - the city is managing fine without the town halls.

I think it's a great idea.

I'd rather have public toilets to be honest. If the public were free to use the toilets in the new bar that would be an ok compromise.

Have you ever been prevented from using a toilet in a pub? I go in pubs and other places all the time just to use the toilets.

I think it's disgraceful. Closing down public utilities because of austerity cuts, but not thinking ahead to mothball the facilities until such time as the financial reign of terror is over. I didn't think much of Sheffield Council anyway, and this doesn't help.

It has been closed for years and no one has noticed. As others have posted there are plenty of toilet options. How often do people need to use one?

Because they are not needed.

Time and time again this issue comes up and I just dont understand it.

Its 2017. Why should the council be spending precious resources on things that most people wouldn't use. This is not the bad old days of backyard outhouses and communal public baths. Every house has facilities.

If you are out and about you will have access to hundreds if not thousands of publicly accessible facilities all over the city.

If you are shopping all the major department stores and Orchard Sq has one. If you use any bar/restaurant or cafe they will have to have one by law. If you are travelling through the city both interchanges and the station has them. If you are visiting a business, every office block has them. If you visting a public facility, the town hall, all council offices, the library and galleries have them. If you are visiting a cinema or theatre, all of the facilities have them. If you are visiting the university or college buildings all these facilities have them. If you are a tourist, all the hotels have them.

If you are in the city and not crossing any of the above paths then quite frankly what are you doing here?

Back on Topic, I think (subject to being themed and priced right) a bar would do well in that location. Its just close enough to both ends of the city to catch trade and would give quite a unique location and style to the other offerings. This sort of conversion of former public loos has worked well in the past in other cities. No reason why it shouldn't here.

Will it have any toilets in it?

Will it have any toilets in it?

Yes it will. Although perhaps not such an extensive facility as before...

The Waterloo?

Sorry...

The Henry Pissinger ? (yes I know).

Edited by stpetre
Add

There are free toilets in town. On Fargate, M&S have a sign on the door saying that people are free to use theirs. Debenhams too on the moor. There are others that escape me, but quite a few bars joined the scheme I seem to remember.

John Lewis also.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/out-and-about/work-starts-on-new-bar-in-former-sheffield-town-hall-toilets-1-8642003

Any suggestions of what it might be called ?

Clean ones only please - remember this is a family friendly forum :D

What about. The Wind and Pyss. like what goes on upstairs.

Edited by Geo-atkinson
inappropriate word

Time and time again this issue comes up and I just dont understand it.

Its 2017. Why should the council be spending precious resources on things that most people wouldn't use. This is not the bad old days of backyard outhouses and communal public baths. Every house has facilities.

If you are out and about you will have access to hundreds if not thousands of publicly accessible facilities all over the city.

If you are shopping all the major department stores and Orchard Sq has one. If you use any bar/restaurant or cafe they will have to have one by law. If you are travelling through the city both interchanges and the station has them. If you are visiting a business, every office block has them. If you visting a public facility, the town hall, all council offices, the library and galleries have them. If you are visiting a cinema or theatre, all of the facilities have them. If you are visiting the university or college buildings all these facilities have them. If you are a tourist, all the hotels have them.

If you are in the city and not crossing any of the above paths then quite frankly what are you doing here?

Back on Topic, I think (subject to being themed and priced right) a bar would do well in that location. Its just close enough to both ends of the city to catch trade and would give quite a unique location and style to the other offerings. This sort of conversion of former public loos has worked well in the past in other cities. No reason why it shouldn't here.

Brill post! Totally agree with you.

I would use the toilet facilities in a bar because it gives me a very good excuse to order a glass of wine whilst there. :hihi: