New Sainsburys in Bradway?

well today we got a letter from Sainsburys saying they are applying for planing permission to build a convenience store on the Bradway pub site. The letter says they will be creating 20 jobs so that sounds like a mid sized store (maybe?)

we will object to try and protect the local shops, but don't hold out much hope. I guess if we only loose a Spar then that might be ok so long as the row of shops (and Post Office) survives.

Might be a bit easier for the Post Office to survive if it wasn't inside the Spar shop! There are proposals to open it for much longer hours, Monday to Sunday, 06.00 - 21.00, consultation period only just ended on 8th February.

Cool, corner shops are a rip off, Sainsburys would be much better. I'll be supporting this application.

If Bradway wants to stop Sainsburys and others of the same ilk from moving onto the site of the old pub it really will have to galvanize itself into action. From my own point of view, probably selfish I admit, Sainsburys will provide us with everything at a very good price, fish, meat, vegetables, grocery, bakery and even possibly, a chemist. Twentywell gives us Spar, utter complacency and indifferent staff, who spend their whole time smoking on the pavement, on top of that it is overpriced and stuck very firmly in the 1960s. I am sure that this comment is of no surprise to the concessionaire who owns it. The Butcher. A dinosaur, nothing organic, nothing free range, he can't bear all that. The Chemist. Closes on Saturday and at 3pm weekdays, no more to be said there then. The Greengrocer. This is a little gem, no pun intended, very good selection, excellent prices, really fresh and the kind of service that would please the CEO of John Lewis. There is a very good chance he will survive Sainsburys, the others WILL go. What will replace them? This is the good bit, Sainsburys will not provide a community spirit in any shape or form, it is highly unlikely that you will go in there to buy some carrots and the greengrocer suggests that he delivers your bag of compost. Sainsburys and other giant supermarkets like them harm communities in places like Bradway and make them feel isolated, because most other trade dies. Incidently, I am not related to the Greengrocer.

If Bradway wants to stop Sainsburys and others of the same ilk from moving onto the site of the old pub it really will have to galvanize itself into action. From my own point of view, probably selfish I admit, Sainsburys will provide us with everything at a very good price, fish, meat, vegetables, grocery, bakery and even possibly, a chemist. Twentywell gives us Spar, utter complacency and indifferent staff, who spend their whole time smoking on the pavement, on top of that it is overpriced and stuck very firmly in the 1960s. I am sure that this comment is of no surprise to the concessionaire who owns it. The Butcher. A dinosaur, nothing organic, nothing free range, he can't bear all that. The Chemist. Closes on Saturday and at 3pm weekdays, no more to be said there then. The Greengrocer. This is a little gem, no pun intended, very good selection, excellent prices, really fresh and the kind of service that would please the CEO of John Lewis. There is a very good chance he will survive Sainsburys, the others WILL go. What will replace them? This is the good bit, Sainsburys will not provide a community spirit in any shape or form, it is highly unlikely that you will go in there to buy some carrots and the greengrocer suggests that he delivers your bag of compost. Sainsburys and other giant supermarkets like them harm communities in places like Bradway and make them feel isolated, because most other trade dies. Incidently, I am not related to the Greengrocer.

Wow! Thank you for the kind words! I was reading down and as I got to "The Greengrocer" I thought there were some brutal truths coming my way haha. I try my best but the business is far from where I want it to be to be honest. Things are looking better so far this year so hopefully we can start pushing forwards again! Make yourself known to me when you're next in, you can have a free bunch of daffies for making me smile : )

There is a meeting on the 26th in which we are hoping Sainsbury's are going to attend. We have to accept that even though 99% of my customers do not want the Sainsbury's there will be many who do. The majority of my customers believe in supporting the little man so the view we get from most people is always going to be biased.

My main worry is how it's going to affect the block on a whole. I believe the Spar is under serious threat from them due to them being a direct competitor. If we lose the Spar we also lose the post office that resides within which is a worry to me. I've always been a bit of a worryer though so I'm just trying to chill out and take a calm and calculated approach.

A lot of people have asked me to set up a petition. I'm going to wait until after the meeting to figure out how we are going to proceed. Unfortunately while I know my fruit and flowers, I'm at a complete loss as to how to contest something like this! I'd hate to get all the signatures sorted and send it to the wrong place!

Again, thanks for the kind words. I'm going to see if I can fit my head through my living room door now...

After reading through these post I have noticed a lot of people are wanting the sainsburys, but just to let the few that aren't bothered about losing the spar shop but will like to have a post office to know that if the spar goes so will the post office because it isn't actually owned by the post office it's owned by spar. So therefore Bradway will lose the post office.

After reading through these post I have noticed a lot of people are wanting the sainsburys, but just to let the few that aren't bothered about losing the spar shop but will like to have a post office to know that if the spar goes so will the post office because it isn't actually owned by the post office it's owned by spar. So therefore Bradway will lose the post office.

And newspaper deliveries.

Still no planning application on the council's web site.

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk...-applications/ search string:- Bradway Hotel

I like the butcher, no fads same top quality meat for the last fifty plus years, Alan has been there in the old supermarket and then as an independant trader for around fourty years.

Interesting. I drive through Bradway most days on my way from work and a sainsburys would be very handy. I would use it in place of the Spar personally, for newagenty stuff rather than meat or fruit n veg... so i wouldnt worry if i was Makinsons or the butcher (supermarket fruit/veg/meat is rubbish anyway but especially the convenience supermarkets), but the spar... id be very worried if this is true. The staff in there are rude (including the post office staff), so i dont like going there anyway and only go if i really have to!

By the way, have Makinsons got their hanging baskets in yet does anyone know?

Both myself & my mum use the local shops at Bradway, Makinsons is very good, the new bread they've started selling is superb, Alan the butcher is also good, excellent steak pies! Agree that the spar & chemist leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame that a pub chain doesn't open up the Bradway again.

Yes, I know this is snobbish, BUT, perhaps we could have a really nice "Spoons" in Bradway to give the clientele the chance to fight and vomit on the pavement.

Interesting. I drive through Bradway most days on my way from work and a sainsburys would be very handy. I would use it in place of the Spar personally, for newagenty stuff rather than meat or fruit n veg... so i wouldnt worry if i was Makinsons or the butcher (supermarket fruit/veg/meat is rubbish anyway but especially the convenience supermarkets), but the spar... id be very worried if this is true. The staff in there are rude (including the post office staff), so i dont like going there anyway and only go if i really have to!

By the way, have Makinsons got their hanging baskets in yet does anyone know?

My main worry is the effect it would have on the Spar. I understand a lot of people would welcome the Sainbury's and I'll be happy to go toe to toe with them on price and quality. It's the things that are out of my control that worry me.

I'll be going to the meeting on the 26th to see what's cracking. At the moment I'm more worried about the impending road works. The last lot on Bradway road took a lot of trade from us =(

As for the "famous" hanging baskets...It varies each year when we start with them. It's all dependant on the weather like most things! I'll be contacting the chap who makes them in the next couple of weeks to catch up and see how they are looking. It's amazing how much they can come on with a week of good weather. Warm nights are the most important thing for growth so fingers crossed!

To give you an idea of dates though...here's the dates we started with them in the past.

2009 - 30th April

2010 - 28th April

2011 - 7th April

2012 - 9th May

As you can see late April/early May is a safe bet but if we do get some cracking weather early on (fingers crossed) we may at it early like in 2011! Keep an eye out on the big 12ft Chalkboard at the front of my shop. There will be a massive Hanging Basket sign up there hopefully for when we start with them.

Both myself & my mum use the local shops at Bradway, Makinsons is very good, the new bread they've started selling is superb, Alan the butcher is also good, excellent steak pies! Agree that the spar & chemist leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame that a pub chain doesn't open up the Bradway again.

Thanks for the compliment =] Even though I know we aren't perfect it is nice to hear a few compliments. There's been a lot of pessimism floating around this past few years with the recession and whatnot so it comes as a much needed boost!

Glad you like the bread too. We are doing better with it than I had imagined and I've heard a lot of positives. Hopefully we can increase trade on it and get a nice steady stream of customers coming to us!

Thanks again!

Tom Makinson