The Chinese Buffets in Sheffield thread- all discussion in here please

only discovered no1 this week. went thurs lunch first time & was pleasantly srprised at the slection & quality.(can only compare with Amraj indian @ peaks which is crap by the way)

then went on sunday b4 going to sharks match & alrhough it was busier nothing much else was different.

although they had mini sausagea & sausage rolls & curly fries on sunday, and they had removed the deep fried chicken balls & deep fried mushrooms & onion rings from the thursday menu.

excllent value mage 2 plates on thursday, 3 on sunday followed by ice cream.

Yes, Jumbo does have crispy duck (with pancakes) but only in the evening.....

Jumbo's every time.

Thanks for that DJ, will definetly go and try Jumbo now, only ever went to No1 as we knew that it did crispy duck. Now that I know Jumbo do it, think we will change.

Does anyone know what the times are for the different prices at 'Jumbo' ?

Whens the cheapest?

Cheers,

RPG.

JUMBO is the bst one by the way... any way the times are since when i last went i thonk 4.30 - 530 maybe or 430- 600 is happy hour i think they may have awebpage http://www.jumbo.co.uk or http://www.chinescuisine summit like that try google jumbo sheffield

No1 Oritenal is the best, im not too keen on chinese food but really enjoyed it there, and was worth the money.

Went to no.1 for first time on Sunday evening and was dead disappointed with the veggie options. Stacks and stacks of pork/beef/chicken/lamb. Only two veggie items on main menu. Won't go there again. Jumbos is better for veggies by far.

I liked the No.1 building though-quite classy I thought.

New Chinese Buffet opening on West St by Tesco in Sept. Could it rival Jumbo?

personally, i dont like either jumbo or no.1.

its all very greasy and tastes the same - and its not very chinese!

the yummiest place ive found (though not a buffet) is the dumpling/chinese fondue place (cant rememeber the name) on london road. They haevnt been there that long yet - but already closed for refurbishment recentely. Does anyone know if they have opened again yet? The fondue/hot pot is just brilliant.

I imagine the thai buffet near waitrose is good - anyone been?

I agree with hoegarden, wouldn't ever venture into Jumbos or their likes either. Far too much MSG, syrup and grease for my liking. If you're at all interested in authentic Chinese cooking, head down to The Golden Dragon on The Moor. I always think a good barometer for a decent Chinese is how many Chinese people eat there. The Golden Dragon seems to be the choice of Sheffield's oriental community.

I went to The Bahn Thai (near Waitrose) last year and it was excellent.

having said that... anyone know if the new one on west street is open yet?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oops sorry - read the earlier post now and see it opens in sept. tsk.