What's your opinion of Bouncers?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion of Bouncers?

• They do a good job under harsh conditions
    • They don't do enough
    • They are power-mad
    • Hmm, i don't really have an opinion

Originally posted by Tony

Instead of moaning on here why don't you moan to the Police and Licencing Authorities?

:huh:

You ought to try it,it's like wading through treacle!!The police have as much as said it "probably won't lead anywhere"

Am awaiting a response from the appropropriate licensing department,likewise the security firm in question and the management of the bar.

This forum would be pretty quiet if nobody moaned don't you think?

Originally posted by _mojo_pin

Deano, as we're not allowed to name establishments think of a place in town that shares its name with an area in Morocco, The Clash rocked it, allegedly! Is it the same place you had grief? This sounds just like my experience when I was attacked without provocation by a p****d up young lad claiming to be a bouncer and thrown out of a back door. When I went round the front with blood pouring down my face to warn the doormen that they had someone pretending to be a bouncer, off his head and attacking customers I find out, guess what, he IS a bouncer! You could tell they knew I was in the right despite him saying first that I was banging on doors then that I was tagging the walls with a marker pen because they let me back in. A few of them privately told me that he was deranged and they'd had problems with him before. They put up a wall of silence about it as a group though, leading me to wonder whether he has some family connection to the owners or 'knows people'. or summat. Wish I'd prosecuted, I still have problems bending one of my thumbs and a scar on my top lip where my tooth went through. I still have one more opposable thumb than he does! won't be going back there again even if Rudolph Valentino said "Come with me to the..."

No it wasn't that bar,but the doormen in question does sound very simular.

Thanks for the sympathetic attitude and good advice Tony but Deano's right; informing the police is useless in a lot of cases, you get an incident number and little else. Let's say we successfully prosecuted our aggressors, what then? You get to watch the magistrate give out a ridiculously lenient punishment and release monkeyboy back on the streets safe in the knowledge that he or his mates are free to give you a good kicking the next time he sees you without witnesses around. Call me cynical and negative if you will. When you've been through something like that it's healthy to have a good old moan

Originally posted by _mojo_pin

Thanks for the sympathetic attitude and good advice Tony

He posted that at 7:14am and from previous experience, he's a grumpy old so and so until he's had his morning coffee so I wouldn't worry about it :thumbsup:

Right, had a coffee and walked the dog and raring to go! :D

I appreciate what you're saying TBH, but unless the Police know what's going on they won't be able to prioritise or keep an eye on things, even if it starts off as a thankless task :(

Remember that they need lots of evidence these days even if they know who is committing the crimes. The more they get (even if it from drunken club goers) the more chance they have of getting an arrest.

Stick in there! :thumbsup:

Write to the venue about the incident. Cc the Licensing Authorities and the Police. Maybe contact the Police and try and find out which police spoke to you and they may say what they saw.

The venue will have to respond either to deny it or whatever....you don't necessarily have to press charges you can file a criminal complaint which will go against the venue's licensing record.

Probably unrealistic to expect the manager to speak to you on the night as that is when situations can get out of control. Anyone else this happens to I'd follow this line of advice but it's best to do it first thing the next day otherwise the venue can "lose" Cctv tapes.

On another thought, I was out sat night and saw Police wrestling with fighters etc....and thought how alien it was to me. Then I asked myself why and it was because I'd spent the past 4.5 years worth of sats in Element with our night Phonetics. Fodder for thought.

Most doormen are sound and do have to take a lot of nonsense and it is also, in general, not very well paid. But it's not wise for an 18 year old to be working doors. Older hands tend to have had their fill of fighting and just do the job better.

Mind you, if they're old enough to die in Iraq!!!

Guest rosie

This should not happen after December because all Doormen have to go on a course and then they can only be a doorman after passing and recieving a license.

Originally posted by rosie

This should not happen after December because all Doormen have to go on a course and then they can only be a doorman after passing and recieving a license.

but did you know bars can hire thugs and call them glass collectors.........i was given this option myself.

Originally posted by Tony

Instead of moaning on here why don't you moan to the Police and Licencing Authorities?

:huh:

That is the reason he has come on here to ask advice as he is unsure wether to go to the police or not.

The thread explains that clearly.

This forum will help him decide one way or another.

However, what anbout CCTV surely theres enough camaras in that area monitoring the streets, what about getting on to them.

The Council runs that and would'nt be influenced by the nightclub.

And my subsequent post explained perfectly well why he should go to the Police / Licencing Authorities.

Why should he NOT report it?

Originally posted by deano

Has anyone had any bad experiences with city centre doormen?

....... anyway next thing i know he has me in a headlock and is dragging me out ,he then threw me headlong onto the pavement,where i landed at the feet of three policemen,who picked me up,asked if i was ok,and advised me to press charges against the doorman in question.

Deano, I just asked a doorman-friend & he informs me that head-locks are definately illegal & should never be used (although they are).

Why not go for the jugular yourself mate & contact one of these prolific no-win-no-fee compensation solicitors?

A friend & I from work were in a Sheffield bar a couple of years ago & were verbally 'intimidated' by a bouncer who was showing off in front of a couple of young floozies (so easily impressed). Our crime? Sat quietly at a table being responsible 30-odd year olds!

We immediately left but not before I'd got his name from the bar staff. The very next morning I rang the bar manager to report this & he was very concerned, he confided that he'd had complaints before re; the same bouncer.

Needless to say we have not been in that bar since, as I'd promised the manager. Their loss.

Does the name of your bar have anything to do with a "CRISP-MANUFACTURER" by any chance (if you get my drift).

Guest rosie

Its a shame the doorman involved can`t tell us his version.