Plans for 37 Storey tower to go on site of old NMB

Most Universities won't pay for 5-star accommodation even for professors.

Story is different if a private company is paying for them to be there though.

I'm sure the students paying extortionate rates for worthless education will be delighted to hear professors are staying in the very best hotels.

To me I don't see need for 5* hotel, you go to London for that. A well balanced, free flowing well thought out and put together town centre is more want we want for us that live here 365 days a year

I'm sure the students paying extortionate rates for worthless education will be delighted to hear professors are staying in the very best hotels.

Everyone has been saying the opposite - that they won't be making use of a proposed 5 star hotel.

I would think that the 5 star rating is important because it relates also to the quality and provision of additional services such as private dining, conference and business facilities, leisure facilities etc. Many national and international conference venues are selected on these criteria, even if the attendees don't all stay at that venue (however, international visitors often will as the conference organisers negotiate attractive rates for them).

To me I don't see need for 5* hotel, you go to London for that. A well balanced, free flowing well thought out and put together town centre is more want we want for us that live here 365 days a year

Brilliant plan, you want to stay in Sheffield, you can afford the very best hotel, but by your logic you thus go and stay in London :huh:

And quite how the well thought out and put together town centre is related to a private development of a high rise building I don't know.

Everyone has been saying the opposite - that they won't be making use of a proposed 5 star hotel.

Yes try reading what people are saying before sticking your idiotic oar in :loopy::loopy::loopy:

I would think that the 5 star rating is important because it relates also to the quality and provision of additional services such as private dining, conference and business facilities, leisure facilities etc. Many national and international conference venues are selected on these criteria, even if the attendees don't all stay at that venue (however, international visitors often will as the conference organisers negotiate attractive rates for them).

I would have thought its possible to make all the other items high class, without the hotel being 5-star. After all I can go to a good restaurant without a 5-star hotel being nearby. Most conferences I have been to do not combine the conference venue and hotels.

But the developers don't want to build a nearby restaurant, they want to build a high rise block part of which will be sold to a high end hotel chain.

Of course one has to be careful when reading news reports or journalist's articles and other bits of information which might possibly be skewed to influence our perception of things. It would not happen in this country of course but you never know it might be the Russians or North Koreans behind it.

My point we I did hear that the number of students in Universities ( not HE because that included colleges) is slowly in decline and I was wondering what was the purpose of yet more student related construction work in Sheffield's city center.

The Universities are I think to be thanked through their relentless ( it seems) desire to provide (and own) student accommodation in Sheffield they are forcing the traditional student bed-sit style, shared houses, landlords to sell which is lowering the house prices for everyone else generally and possible keeping the price of new builds down which must be good. Especially when you think that when the students graduate and want to get on the property ladder will be so greatly encumbered by their student loans, lower priced quality housing is what they will be looking for. Raising the population of Sheffield and the amount of revenue available to the council to use as they think fit.

Of course one has to be careful when reading news reports or journalist's articles and other bits of information which might possibly be skewed to influence our perception of things. It would not happen in this country of course but you never know it might be the Russians or North Koreans behind it.

My point we I did hear that the number of students in Universities ( not HE because that included colleges) is slowly in decline and I was wondering what was the purpose of yet more student related construction work in Sheffield's city center.

The Universities are I think to be thanked through their relentless ( it seems) desire to provide (and own) student accommodation in Sheffield they are forcing the traditional student bed-sit style, shared houses, landlords to sell which is lowering the house prices for everyone else generally and possible keeping the price of new builds down which must be good. Especially when you think that when the students graduate and want to get on the property ladder will be so greatly encumbered by their student loans, lower priced quality housing is what they will be looking for. Raising the population of Sheffield and the amount of revenue available to the council to use as they think fit.

Hallam doesn't own any student accommodation at all. Most recent student developments in the city have been private developments.

Surely the development on this site is for the Business School to do Business School things. No indication in the article that there will be any student accommodation in the building?