Bin collections in the snow...

I am surprised that the council has not seen the money making opportunities and sent the enforcement officers out to fine the likes of me and my neighbors who have now had our bins out for 6 days

No doubt the council did not put anything in the contract with veolia about communication in times of disruption hence the simple kop out of leave your bins out we are collecting which may be true but not our bins

What is really annoying me is the lack of sensible communication as now for 5 days I have been advised to leave my bins out as they were collecting. Still they stand un-emptied and the winds continually blow the paper everywhere

It might have been sensible to have suspended collections Wed/Thursday, Friday and put in places comprehensive plans given this cold spell was forecast so far in advance

They can hardly say 'you must put your bins out regardless of how dangerously slippy it is as we really want little old ladies to fall over, and we'll be sending the bin men out even if there's sheet ice or 3 foot of snow on the roads'

They err'd on the side of caution with the message in case they couldn't send the lorries out, but obviously decided to send them out after it seemed ok. You chose not to put your bin out, chalk it up to experience.

If you have too much waste, take it to the dumpit site.

Great, your volunteering your car..

Last time I checked they don't accept walk ups at the dump site. And I can't take my black bin on the bus without being stared at..

Great, your volunteering your car..

Last time I checked they don't accept walk ups at the dump site. And I can't take my black bin on the bus without being stared at..

I have walked into three of them (Shirecliffe, Woodhouse, Gleadless) on foot (after parking my car on the road outside due to the large queue) and just lobbed my stuff in quite happily. They can hardly stop you, in any case they may be too busy to see where you have come from.

As an aside, you claim the advice was not to put the bins out if it wasnt safe.

Was it safe?

I am surprised that the council has not seen the money making opportunities and sent the enforcement officers out to fine the likes of me and my neighbors who have now had our bins out for 6 days

No doubt the council did not put anything in the contract with veolia about communication in times of disruption hence the simple kop out of leave your bins out we are collecting which may be true but not our bins

What is really annoying me is the lack of sensible communication as now for 5 days I have been advised to leave my bins out as they were collecting. Still they stand un-emptied and the winds continually blow the paper everywhere

It might have been sensible to have suspended collections Wed/Thursday, Friday and put in places comprehensive plans given this cold spell was forecast so far in advance

I completely understood and agreed with the bins not being collected under the conditions an even accept it if we completely missed our recycling collection altogether.

However the way veolia have told everybody to leave the bins out blocking the paths until they get around to them is crap. Perhaps a system where if the bins aren't collected by 7pm or if notice is given no collections that day they should be removed from the roadside and notice will be given for a new collection date. It would mean it could not be the following day as people would be at work and unable to put bins out, you need about 16 hours min notice, but better for everybody to have a planned day rather than left out for a week or more.

They must (or certainly should) have a plan for catching up, presumably by working longer days and slotting the missed ones in then, just put the dates on the council AND veolia websites, its not difficult.

On the Council site it directs you to the veolia site which tells you to see your local council site for information, talk about passing the buck, ended up having to phone up.

Tomorrow it will have been a week for us, at what point do we give up and pull them back in?

Its a good job we haven't had the traditional March winds or they wouldn't have had any thing to collect. Just a bit more rubbish strewn around wadsley bridge.

Where I am the bins have not been emptied for 3 weeks because of the weather, no complaints about that it couldn't be helped. I have noticed that rubbish is obviously piled up so what is it going to be like when collections go to monthly?

Nothing at all to help anyone who has left their bins out on the Veolia website. Blue bins have been left out on street now for 6 days and still not emptied. Black bins tomorrow. So what do we do Veolia? Nothing on your rubbish web page, so everyone's left in the dark. Bunch of useless prats.:rant:

just leave bags next to bins if they dont take them council will have to

Our blue bin was emptied on Sunday morning, then folks saw lorry then put their bins out they are still there and full.

S13 black bin collection should have been last Thursday, left bin out as normal, was emptied yesterday, they even took extra black sacks some people had put out.

S13 black bin collection should have been last Thursday, left bin out as normal, was emptied yesterday, they even took extra black sacks some people had put out.

I'm S13 and my bin was emptied this morning. Blue bin due tomorrow.

Not sure how they went about the order of sorting missed bin collections. First bins they wouldn't have collected would have been last Wednesdays, the first day of snow (and our black bin day) so you would think they'd start with those. They clearly didn't as even though they worked over the weekend and extra hours (according to their website) ours was only collected today. Didn't cause too much of an issue for us but surprising that it took so long.

Blue bin was meant to be emptied last Thursday, but wasn't and is still out there. Black bin emptied as usual yesterday. Apparently Veolia have said crews will be working at the weekend so there seems little point taking it in now when there's a chance it might get emptied.