Dash cam question

get a mobious camera full hd recording auto start auto stop motion detection small enough to be left in car without theives seeing it and can be bought for 40 quid second hand of ebay

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mobius-action-camera-dash-cam-version.html

Probably pinched out of someones car!!!!

Probably pinched out of someones car!!!!

what you on about

Just been looking on Ebay and one says battery only lasts 3 minutes and is meant to be plugged in all the time as are most of the dashcams on Ebay. If that's right can't see any point leaving it in the car when not in use as would imagine most cars cigarette lighter only work when the ignition is on.

Just been looking on Ebay and one says battery only lasts 3 minutes and is meant to be plugged in all the time as are most of the dashcams on Ebay. If that's right can't see any point leaving it in the car when not in use as would imagine most cars cigarette lighter only work when the ignition is on.

in order to leave the camera in the car you need to have it hard wired to permanent live. I believe halfords offer this service

Ian, the battery is really if you just want to mess with it when out of the car. Probably lasts 10 to 15 mins on mine. You can mess with it in the car.

There are* one or two variations of the way a dash cam can be** set-up. I have the 0801 mini cam that is easily concealed behind the r v mirror. I take the risk of leaving it in the car. I am generally careful where I park/leave the car, but that would apply regardless of leaving a dash cam in,common sense really.

I have intended hard wiring it since I got it, but after many months of procrastination it is still plugged in to the cig lighter socket.

If hard wired, you can still take it in to the house because the camera slides out of it's windscreen mount. This mount is also where the cam gets it's power supply. Another reason I leave it in is because constantly sliding it in & out will eventually* effect the metal contacts of the base and cam respectively. Realistically, cams are designed to be left in place ideally, or at least mine is.

If you want to view footage, just pop the micro sd card out, put it in a card reader then watch/listen to it on your device of choice.

The only thing I don't like about mine is the file type it records in- a one minutes clip of video & audio is 80mb! The playback quality is very good. The clips are one minute each and you can hardly tell where one clip ends and the next one begins.

Also, you can simply press a button and take stills. You can choose the frame rate from the settings 720* 1080 etc. GPS* on off, time stamped or not.* I just stuck it in the car and forget about it. It comes on with the ignition and off when I switch off. I don't mess with it, it does what I want.

*Very pleased. Cost less than £100 about 2 years ago. There are always new and improved cams coming to the market.

A friend bought one recently for around £60, can't remember the model, but this has a magnetic mount (including the 12v contacts) so to remove it he just plucks it off its mount. Only forwards facing though.

I see Sainsburys have dashcams on offer in their petrol station, anyone bought one and are they any good?

They're probably just the same as the ones you can get off Ebay for around a tenner these days. That's if its the same as the other kinds of offers like heat mugs, tools, mini compressors and the like.

I got this one a couple of years ago for £20 and its been brilliant:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080p-HD-Dash-Cam-Wide-Angle-Night-Vision-Car-DVR-2-4-LCD-Camera-UK-G-Sensor-/252428448576?epid=624641180&hash=item3ac5e87340:g:9lUAAOSwTM5Y5wq2

Oh right cheers, they have a display at Sainsburys but there are just boxes stuck together onto the display stand and low down so cannot get to read what it says on the boxes. I searched on their site but nothing on there I guess it is because they are offers in the filling station, they also got memory cards for sale as well.