Disabled benefits cut have caused a 'human catastrophe'

As I said it's a shocking figure but one with little context.

It is, but the effort (and cost to the taxpayer) that they put into trying to keep them secret gives it a sort of context.

It is, but the effort (and cost to the taxpayer) that they put into trying to keep them secret gives it a sort of context.

That's a valid point.

No it is not.We could, for example rally together and help the victims to challenge their abusers in the courts.

There is, I think, plenty of scope for it, but I've not heard tale of any attempts.

This is happening. There have been a lot of rallies and protests but they rarely make the mainstream media. Likewise, loads of court cases, and they seem to mostly find in favour of the disabled person. Even courts / magistrates etc have objected on many occasions to the unnecessary cases being put before them in the first place.

How much all this costs doesn't bear thinking about.

Edited by Anna B

I have worked for a charity who take vulnerable people on as volunteers, their main expense for said people is one dinner once a week. These people generate thousands a month for the charity with their labour. Most of the volunteers have now been there years and not moved an inch forward because without them the number coming through the door won't allow it to continue operation, so they are literally not being given the help and support as suggested by what the news prints.

Some of these people have mental health issues including autism and the company is payed 70 pounds per day, per person. Now for a charity not raking it in that comes in to a nice little earner, any wonder they are still there now?.

There is alot of this helping the disabled into work hype going on, but the reality is, it's mostly just another numbers exercise with nice loopholes to make money from.

When genuine change and help was suggested I ended up as a mostly one man crew and criticised when it was taking longer to implement and was then distanced from the charity. In stark contrast more money goes to the management than the disabled it supposes to help, go figure.

Edited by Weazel2006

Likewise, loads of court cases, and they seem to mostly find in favour of the disabled person.

I don't mean fighting to overturn the bad decisions, I mean fighting to seek damages consequent upon those decisions.

Some of these case I am hearing about, if true, are misfeasance and the victims have may have a claim against the officers making those decisions.

And the length of time these things are taking very likely breaches Article Six of the European Human Rights Convention.

---------- Post added 26-08-2017 at 19:14 ----------

When genuine change and help was suggested I ended up as a mostly one man crew and criticised when it was taking longer to implement and was then distanced from the charity. In stark contrast more money goes to the management than the disabled it supposes to help, go figure.

There is an answer to that: we should round up ateam to set up and do it better.

I don't mean fighting to overturn the bad decisions, I mean fighting to seek damages consequent upon those decisions.

Some of these case I am hearing about, if true, are misfeasance and the victims have may have a claim against the officers making those decisions.

And the length of time these things are taking very likely breaches Article Six of the European Human Rights Convention.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________-___

These people are sick. The stress involved in just getting the benefits they are entitled to overwhelms some of them, many give up because they just can't endure it. I doubt they have either the appetite or stamina for yet another court case. They are also amongst the poorest and most vulnerable in society, so no clout and no money for protracted legal arguments.

More and more these days, justice is only for the rich, confident and well connected.

Edited by Anna B

These people are sick. The stress involved in just getting the benefits they are entitled to overwhelms some of them, many give up because they just can't endure it. I doubt they have either the appetite or stamina for yet another court case. They are also amongst the poorest and most vulnerable in society, so no clout and no money for protracted legal arguments.

You missed the bit about "rally together and help..."?

Oh sorry no, you thought I meant go out and wave flags. :roll:

More and more these days, justice is only for the rich, confident and well connected.

It is there*, if you can be bothered to look for it.

{* sometimes}

You missed the bit about "rally together and help..."?

Oh sorry no, you thought I meant go out and wave flags. :roll:

It is there*, if you can be bothered to look for it.

{* sometimes}

Rally together and help? Do you mean the sick should help each other or people in general should help? A big part of the problem is that disabled people are 'tolerated' and even that attitude is changing for the worst. Everything now seems to be measured in money, and the disabled are just seen as a drain on resources.

Justice: No it's not always there. And unless it's a criminal case which qualifies for legal aid it has to be paid for and is extremely expensive.

I also take issue with the the phrase 'if you can be bothered,' which makes it sound like laziness. Again these are often very sick people who are struggling to deal with the basic necessities in life, without the added burden of energy sapping court cases.

Tories attitude is if someone is mentally disabled they can always be taught to mop the floor and clean the toilet.

What type of work do you think they should do?

What work gives us :-

social contacts and support

a way of structuring and occupying our time

physically and mental activity

an opportunity to develop and use skills

social status

a sense of identity and personal achievement

money and other resources needed for material well-being.

Studies show that work is generally good for health. As well as a financial reward, it gives many of us self-esteem, companionship and status.

There is good evidence that being out of work or 'workless' is bad for your health.

People who are unemployed :-

have poorer physical and mental health overall

consult their GP more

are more likely to be admitted to hospital

have higher death rates

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/usefulresources/workandmentalhealth/worker/isworkgoodforyou.aspx

Rally together and help? Do you mean the sick should help each other or people in general should help?

If half the effort that goes into bemoaning the poor deal for the disabled went instead into organising the help they need, then they would be that much better off. All you're giving me here is excuses.

A big part of the problem is that disabled people are 'tolerated' and even that attitude is changing for the worst. Everything now seems to be measured in money, and the disabled are just seen as a drain on resources.

And yet, just a few posts up, there is tell of a "charity" that's taking money hand over fist yet not doing being a lot of help...

Justice: No it's not always there. And unless it's a criminal case which qualifies for legal aid it has to be paid for and is extremely expensive.

If they are as poor as you claim, then they should be exempt from the court fees which just leaves the question of representation and one can always represent oneself...

Which raises an interesting question: how would a court cope if someone with a severe mental disability brought a case to court without representation?

They would surely be obliged to make reasonable adjustments for that disability...

Edited by Hairyloon

Because they can only possibly think about one thing at once.

Well that is precisely the problem and what I've spent 7 years arguing on here.

Governments do not do joined-up planning. If cuts are made in one service then pressure increases on another service. Cut support in one area and on paper yes money has been saved but then the costs in other service increases. But there is no way of measuring that impact in fiscal terms. Nobody can predict who many disabled people will lose their jobs or suffer other physical and maybe mental health issues once support is withdrawn or reduced.

The government knows this of course.

The tragedy is that we as a country have let it happen. We've allowed disabled people to become a target, and labelled on masse as scroungers. How sad and how unfair.

What type of work do you think they should do?

What work gives us :-

social contacts and support

a way of structuring and occupying our time

physically and mental activity

an opportunity to develop and use skills

social status

a sense of identity and personal achievement

money and other resources needed for material well-being.

Studies show that work is generally good for health. As well as a financial reward, it gives many of us self-esteem, companionship and status.

There is good evidence that being out of work or 'workless' is bad for your health.

People who are unemployed :-

have poorer physical and mental health overall

consult their GP more

are more likely to be admitted to hospital

have higher death rates

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/usefulresources/workandmentalhealth/worker/isworkgoodforyou.aspx

I'd agree with most of that, which begs the question why such places as Remploy were shut down? Nothing since has been able to make up the shortfall.