Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

My wife Margaret Ruth Savage attended there. Born in Jan 1930, so possibly there early forties.

Edited by JOGI

Jogi Was your wife Margaret Harris of Abbey Lane?

Sorry, No. Not the same person. Cheers.

I was in Marvel from 1959 - 1964 Flo was awesome could silence the room with a glance !

I moved to Abbeydale Girls Grammar School from Totley county school in 1957. I have some good and a lot of bad memories. Some of the teachers were strict and impatient and I underachieved a lot of the time. Miss Lucas and Miss Tomlinson (both nice) had actually taught my Mum too when she was there. Miss Woodland would bring her dog into maths lessons. I thought that the Fry house was for the academically gifted but maybe it was a rumour. As mentioned by Sharrovian above, I have also lived in Switzerland for the last 33 years.

Ashamed to say I haven't been on the site for ages. I was interested in the mention of Miss Woodland, Miss Lucas and Miss Tomlinson. I was there from 1942 to 1947 and they were all teaching then. Don't seem to be many using this forum from my years. If there are any please contact me, I would love to hear from you

I went to Abbeydale from 1959 to 1964 and was in Marvel House and our colour was yellow. The other houses then were Darling, Cavell and Nightingale. I am sure that there was a form created from our year called Fry that had the brightest of the year in and they advanced a year. I am sure that there was not a Fry house at that time - altho I am obviously getting on now !!!

I remember Marvel was yellow and Cavell was blue, I think, (I was in Cavell). I know there were 5 houses when I started at Abbeydale and I understood that Fry had just been created that year (1957) yet it has been mentioned as existing earlier than that so I don't understand. What is strange is that there was only a first year Fry when I started and no 2nd, 3rd year, etc. There is probably a simple explanation. It's true that there are not many AGGS girls on Friends Reunited. I did contact one person although we didn't remember each other. I just thought it would be fun to exchange a few general experiences but she wasn't really interested as we weren't in the same class.

Does anyone remember the Christmas parties? I'm not sure if the following happened every year but I remember that we all brought our party dresses to school. The senior art pupils had created huge paper angels which were fastened up high on the walls. There was dancing and some games in the big hall, then we all did the "Dambusters" march and went in a chain down to the dining room. Each table had logs holding candles, the lights were out and there was a lovely spread (we all brought food). Looking back someone had gone to a lot of trouble to make it look lovely. Maybe I was just an impressionable child!

I am the person who has mentioned Elizabeth Fry house earlier. I was in Fry house from 1942 to 1947. Each house had a choir, I was in their choir and we had a competition each year between the houses.I can remember Fry winning the competition two years running.

When I first went to AGGS in 1942 the school had been bombed in the Sheffield blitz, part of it had been destroyed and it took quite a few years to repair it. The headmistress for the first two years was a Miss Mulley, followed by Doctor Green (she was quite strict about school rules and uniform etc).

My late mother attended this school circa 1930. I can't find anything out about it but I think it was probably an independent secondary school that after the 1944 Education Act turned into Abbeydale Girls' Grammar School.

Would like to hear from anyone with information.

Hi Mike65 - welcome to the Forum! I don't know of a school with this exact name; the Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls (here is an old thread) was evidently founded in 1918. Here is a scan from the 1942 Kelly's Directory. The 1925 directory mentions, under Holt House Cottages "GIRLS' SECONDARY SCHOOL (Miss Beatrice A. Tonkin, head mistress) (Abbeydale grange)".

I think Abbeydale High school was a small private school on the corner of Bannerdale Road and Carterknowle Road, a friend of mine went there, and then onto Dore and Totley High school.