HS2 train stop in Sheffield

OK; so London-Birmingham-Sheffield-Manchester-Leeds.

Makes much more sense to go london-brum-manchester-sheffield-leeds surely?

Makes much more sense to go london-brum-manchester-sheffield-leeds surely?

OK- I'll allow that (via Woodhead, not Hope Valley). Deal? Get building.

Erm... Meadowhall Railway Station?

When copying a link from Google maps, you need to do it using the little "Link" button on the right hand side above the map, not by copying from the address bar - that just has the link to the place you searched for originally, not where you moved the map too.

Erm... Meadowhall Railway Station?

When copying a link from Google maps, you need to do it using the little "Link" button on the right hand side above the map, not by copying from the address bar - that just has the link to the place you searched for originally, not where you moved the map too.

Sorry mate here it is.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Meadowhall+Rail+Station&hl=en&ll=53.40792,-1.428266&spn=0.004247,0.013797&sll=53.448834,-1.462507&sspn=0.271527,0.883026&t=h&z=16

It's a massive site, easily big enough for the high speed trains and it goes straight on to Leeds, but doesn't have the transport links.

Too small, zoom out til the scale thing shows "500m", that's slightly longer than the train length but the station will need to be roughly that long.

Now try and find a suitable location.

Too small, zoom out til the scale thing shows "500m", that's slightly longer than the train length but the station will need to be roughly that long.

Now try and find a suitable location.

That site is easily big enough for high speed trains, plus there is extra land next door to it too that could be used for the station, which is industrial at the moment.

Edited by Mr Sheffield

That site is easily big enough for high speed trains.

I don't understand why you think it's a better site than Tinsley, which already has the adjacent motorway, railway land, suitable routes north and south and for a small amount of money, a link to the tram network.

I don't understand why you think it's a better site than Tinsley, which already has the adjacent motorway, railway land, suitable routes north and south and for a small amount of money, a link to the tram network.

Because it goes straight on to Leeds, no turns. Give me a link to your site.

Because it goes straight on to Leeds, no turns. Give me a link to your site.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=210155476846284269415.0004a702e9b4e1b86e8c1&ll=53.400373,-1.386831&spn=0.006934,0.021887&t=h&z=16

Note that the big white building is a warehouse built for rail <> road freight connections, so not going to be an issue knocking it down (even if it was doing well, which I understand it isn't, at all).

You second location has no suitable route to the south.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=210155476846284269415.0004a702e9b4e1b86e8c1&ll=53.400373,-1.386831&spn=0.006934,0.021887&t=h&z=16

Note that the big white building is a warehouse built for rail <> road freight connections, so not going to be an issue knocking it down (even if it was doing well, which I understand it isn't, at all).

You second location has no suitable route to the south.

The route that line is taking is crazy, is going up hill for a start and it's going the long way round compared to mine. My location has got a route south, just reconfigure the line a little bit.

The route that line is taking is crazy, is going up hill for a start and it's going the long way round compared to mine.

D'oh! Ignore the lines on that map. Just got caught out by the same problem as you with map links! The lines on that map are very rough and only supposed to be looked at from a great distance as an overview of options, not as a detailed route.

This is a more accurate of the route it could take :- http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210155476846284269415.0004a7028d801cf5385bd&msa=0&ll=53.401243,-1.384234&spn=0.013868,0.027423

My location has got a route south, just reconfigure the line a little bit.

Where to? It would be hideously expensive to take it through the city centre, and you can't just take over the old lines - they'll still be full with non high speed trains.