HS2 train stop in Sheffield

D'oh! Ignore the lines on that map. Just got caught out by the same problem as you with map links! The lines on that map are very rough and only supposed to be looked at from a great distance as an overview of options, not as a detailed route.

This is a more accurate of the route it could take :- http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210155476846284269415.0004a7028d801cf5385bd&msa=0&ll=53.401243,-1.384234&spn=0.013868,0.027423

Where to? It would be hideously expensive to take it through the city centre, and you can't just take over the old lines - they'll still be full with non high speed trains.

Just upgrade the track, and re-route in the mean time. The line wouldn't be full of non high speed trains because some of the high speed trains would take the place of the non high speed trains. Your route is better but that too would be massively expensive and it's cutting through a lot of countryside, but as I said i'm no expert and I prob don't know what i'm talking about.

That's running through the Outokumpu works - aren't they still in use? Is it really a good idea to demolish them?

By Mosborough Parkway there's a much better site, which would avoid any need to run through the Meadowhall area.

By Mosborough Parkway there's a much better site, which would avoid any need to run through the Meadowhall area.

The transport links are not gonna be good to that site are they and plus I believe that the high speed station should be in Sheffield, it is the hub of South Yorks after all.

The transport links are not gonna be good to that site are they

It's by a primary road, close to the M1, and has an existing train line direct to the city centre. It'd also be easy to extend the tram over from Crystal Peaks. The transport links are excellent!

and plus I believe that the high speed station should be in Sheffield, it is the hub of South Yorks after all.

People would be using the station from across the city and other nearby towns, so, while access to central Sheffield is important, being located in the city itself isn't so vital. Besides, the site is on the border of Sheffield.

Just upgrade the track, and re-route in the mean time. The line wouldn't be full of non high speed trains because some of the high speed trains would take the place of the non high speed trains.

They will, because the only journey that HS2 will replace is Sheffield - London. The other trains which follow some of the route, such as Sheffield - Birmingham or Sheffield - Leeds will still need to run in order to serve places off the route of HS2 (in the case of the latter, Barnsley, Rotherham, Wakefield, Doncaster, Huddersfield, as well as all the small stations).

The whole idea of HS2 is to build new and supplement existing capacity, not to replace it. One of the main reasons we have such a slow system is because we still follow the routes which the Victorians built. Look at the Sheffield - London line - it twists left and right all the way in order to go through every moderately sized settlement, half of which don't even have stations now...

That's running through the Outokumpu works - aren't they still in use? Is it really a good idea to demolish them?

I think a route through there could be found, and who knows if in 30+ years time when we actually get round to building this, if Outokumpu will still be there!

It looks suitable to me too.

Why would the Nunnery Square site not be serving South Yorks? it would be easily accessible with the transport links that already in place.

Because why should people from Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley and Chesterfield have to travel nearly all the way into the city centre adding to the traffic problems to access this service when they can access it virtually straight from the M1 in an area (Europa Link Road) which has relatively light traffic in comparrison.

Would it not be possible to upgrade the current midland mainline so the hs2 could use that and stop in the main sheffield station?

Would it not be possible to upgrade the current midland mainline so the hs2 could use that and stop in the main sheffield station?

If it were possible at all, the costs would be astronomical.

Stevenson, when designing and building railway lines, had the foresight to realise that trains would get faster and, as far as was possible, sought to build straight lines from one major city to the next. Hudson, who was responsible for what is now the main London-Sheffield line, did not; he sought to incorporate every town, and even large village, along the way, so his lines twisted and turned a great deal.

The practical upshot of which is that the line from Luton to Sheffield is so full of bends that you can't get a train much above 90mph on it. Even the existing high speed trains cannot go at full speed. In order to upgrade the line, you'd have to straighten it out, which would mean the compulsory purchase of huge amounts of land and effectively building large parts of the line from scratch.

Given that London-Birmingham-Manchester-Leeds is a perfectly viable route anyway, and trying to incorporate Sheffield would add only one city at an enormous cost, the whole discussion is fairly moot. Sheffield is not going to be part of the network. It's only a question of when the authorities feel it's politically acceptable to say so.

The preferred National HS2 route is a "Y" route. With the West Midland being at the mid point.

There are just a few days left on the consultation for the mapped route to Birmingham and the WCML.

There is no consultation map for the rest of the route.

The section that effects us is the route from HS2 in the West Midlands to Leeds and the ECML.

Currently the HMG wants an East Midland stop to serve Nottingham and Derby (possibly Leicester) which would mean the line would come up to around Chesterfield.

The only other stop is in South Yorkshire.

As a previous post has already said the scale of construction is much much bigger.

To maintain speed and journey times it is likely that only alternate trains will stop at these (EM or SY) stations requring through running speeds of far over 150 mph throughout South Yorkshire.

Because of this there will be no HS2 stop in Sheffield as the route from the Chesterfield area will be through near the current Beighton /Masborough/ Swinton/Moorthorpe tracks. So look for a site here. The Tinsley site would still be a possibility as a slight diversion.

More stations or more stations near city centres slow the trains so it stops being High Speed and becomes slower and more expensive.

The dimensions of Ashford Station in Kent would give an approximation of the size of the station required.

I'm all in favour of railways, I'd much rather get a nice train than drive whenever possible, but I do wonder if this whole scheme is really worth the bother. I'd much rather money was spent on connections to Manchester. We can already get to London in 2 hours and the service is pretty good these days.

Will the cost, demolitions, and disruptions over many many years really be worth it? We're a small, narrow, densely-populated country and I question whether there is really room to be building massive new rail lines across it - especially when the existing ones could be upgraded. OK they couldn't be upgraded to HS class, but they could still be fast enough. Or is it all really a covert plot to serve Scotland with us Sassenachs picking up more than our share of the tab as usual?

I think you might be over exaggerating just how wide the railway will be and just how narrow the country is...