R.i.p Ray Thomas

Moody blues member Ray Thomas has died aged 76

Sorry to hear that.... brilliant band, saw them a few times, Isle of Wight... even the City Hall...

Very sad indeed...... Seventh Sojourn -- Thier last good album! (And best i might add)

Moody blues member Ray Thomas has died aged 76

Saw the original Moody Blues in 1965 ('Go Now' etc) when Denny Laine was lead singer, didn't care for their music much when Justin Hayward came along and all that synthasiser stuff -they were more 'earthier' before -but that did make them a lot wealthier, anyway RIP Ray who was an original and Birmingham born member.

Very sad news. Joined Spotify recently and listened to all the albums again, most of which I have on vinyl or cd. Way ahead of their time. Also saw Legend of a Band tribute at Rotherham Civic Theatre which brought back memories of seeing the Moodies at Sheffield Fiesta.

“Sleep peacefully Mr Thomas…it was a pleasure to have met you and your colleagues.” Zakes.

I got to see (and hear) the Moodies whilst I was living in Western Germoney. 1xHamburg and 1 xHannover. This was during the 80s.

I next saw them about 10 years or more ago in Sheffield. They were to be playing at the City Hall. Anyway, I gathered my Moodies elpees, CD;s and some press stuff together. It was my intention to get the things signed. After discovering where the group would be staying (hotel), it took a cuppla phone calls, I arrived at the Marriott in Nether Edge . The Marriott is (was) the former Kenwood hotel but after being various other names over the years the hotel is once again called Kenwood (I think) LOL.

Having come across Ray Thomas who was hobbling, and using a walking cane, we spoke. Ray was suffering at the time with gout. I was suffering too with the occasional bout of gout…eating too much offal and suppin’ too much stooonses! LOL. Gout became our topic of conversation and. We spoke about a single bedsheet feeling as heavy as a ton of bricks on our feet (foot) and during the height of gout, how a relief from pain it would be if someone was to cut your (our) foot off. During our chat I de-bagged me record sleeves, and he kindly signed ‘em for me.

John Lodge and Justin Haywood signed stuff too, including their solo stuff. I missed Graeme Edge, I was caught off guard (too much rabbiting with the others). They had to set off for their performance.

I found Ray Thomas to be sincere, respectful, kind and friendly. A good bloke.

Some of the stuff Ray and other Moody Blues signed for me:

Moody Blues

Blue

Sur La Mer

Caught Live + 5

Days of Future Passed – mono, stereo and deramic sound system

Seventh Sojourn

Collectors Series

Octave

Musica Rock

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

The Magnificent Moodies (German original 1965). Hayward & Lodge signed this album too but they weren’t in the Moodies then.

And others.

Ray Thomas:

Hopes Wishes & Dreams

From Mighty Oaks both unsigned. I acquired these at a later date.

Justin Haywood:

Moving Mountains

Classic Blue

Night Flight

Songwriter.

John Lodge

Natural Avenue.

Justin Haywood & John Lodge:

Blue Jays

Press clips:

1987?

Particular favourite Moodies songs of mine are:

Question.

Isn’t Life Strange.

Tuesday Afternoon.

And the song about transvestites …

Knights in White Satin.

Edited by zakes

Loved the Moody Blues. My favourite song was Go Now.

RIP Ray Thomas

Never really one of my favourites, but they did one or two good songs. My main memory of Ray Thomas is that he was doing a fantastic impersonation of Michael Palin on the clip of Question (I think it was) that they showed on Sounds of the Sixties.

“Sleep peacefully Mr Thomas…it was a pleasure to have met you and your colleagues.” Zakes.

I got to see (and hear) the Moodies whilst I was living in Western Germany. 1xHamburg and 1 xHannover. This was during the 80s.

I next saw them about 10 years or more ago in Sheffield. They were to be playing at the City Hall. Anyway, I gathered my Moodies elpees, CD;s and some press stuff together. It was my intention to get the things signed. After discovering where the group would be staying (hotel), it took a cuppla phone calls, I arrived at the Marriott in Nether Edge . The Marriott is (was) the former Kenwood hotel but after being various other names over the years the hotel is once again called Kenwood (I think) LOL.

Having come across Ray Thomas who was hobbling, and using a walking cane, we spoke. Ray was suffering at the time with gout. I was suffering too with the occasional bout of gout…eating too much offal and suppin’ too much stooonses! LOL. Gout became our topic of conversation and. We spoke about a single bedsheet feeling as heavy as a ton of bricks on our feet (foot) and during the height of gout, how a relief from pain it would be if someone was to cut your (our) foot off. During our chat I de-bagged me record sleeves, and he kindly signed ‘em for me.

John Lodge and Justin Haywood signed stuff too, including their solo stuff. I missed Graeme Edge, I was caught off guard (too much rabbiting with the others). They had to set off for their performance.

I found Ray Thomas to be sincere, respectful, kind and friendly. A good bloke.

Some of the stuff Ray and other Moody Blues signed for me:

Moody Blues

Blue

Sur La Mer

Caught Live + 5

Days of Future Passed – mono, stereo and deramic sound system

Seventh Sojourn

Collectors Series

Octave

Musica Rock

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

The Magnificent Moodies (German original 1965). Hayward & Lodge signed this album too but they weren’t in the Moodies then.

And others.

Ray Thomas:

Hopes Wishes & Dreams

From Mighty Oaks both unsigned. I acquired these at a later date.

Justin Haywood:

Moving Mountains

Classic Blue

Night Flight

Songwriter.

John Lodge

Natural Avenue.

Justin Haywood & John Lodge:

Blue Jays

Press clips:

1987?

Particular favourite Moodies songs of mine are: