Microsoft Office for multiple uses

Hello again. I want to ask about using a particular specimen of Microsoft Office in more than one place. I borrowed a disc with Microsoft Office on it. This disc had been used many time before in various computers. I was told that it had been hijacked from a university and could be used an indefinite number of times. So I installed it and used the licence number written on the box and everything worked fine. My friend then had a brainstorm and threw the disc away. I couldn't believe it when he told me. Anyway I now need to get this office program on to another PC in addition to where it is at the moment. My question is this: since the program including the licence number can be used over and over, would I be able to copy it across into my other PC and make it work there? If I can, then how do I make the copy? I mean where do I put the cursor so as to begin the copying process? I can't see anywhere in Windows Office to do that. I suppose I could use a DVD or a fire stick but how, in greater detail, do I do it?

Edited by woolyhead

Hi, that licence whilst working would be illegal as it's licence would be for volume educational license for machines used in University not for private use unless person was attending a course at the University. :suspect:

Copying an already installed program from one computer to another isn't a good way to do things. The program files can be in more than one location, with registry entries added as well.

There is software to do it, but it can be hit and miss.

Just go legal and install OpenOffice.

Copying an already installed program from one computer to another isn't a good way to do things. The program files can be in more than one location, with registry entries added as well.

LibreOffice surely....?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

It's what I have been using to prepare the unofficial Zorin OS 12 Manual. :D

I tried Open Office but after doing an ABBYY FineReader 9 OCR scan I found it impossible to transfer the read documents to my Windows 7 documents file. Fine Reader wanted to transfer to Microsoft Word and refused to send to Open Office. Next I tried FineReader 14 but with the same result.

---------- Post added 14-02-2018 at 18:59 ----------

See my other reply

---------- Post added 14-02-2018 at 19:01 ----------

Hi, that licence whilst working would be illegal as it's licence would be for volume educational license for machines used in University not for private use unless person was attending a course at the University. :suspect:

OK. Thanks. In that case I will buy Microsoft Office. Much obliged.

Edited by woolyhead

Just buy office 365.

You get the full MS office suite and can install on 5 PC's , mobile devices , ipads etc.

Always kept up to date and you get online storage thrown in.

Its only about ÂŁ 80 PA

https://products.office.com/en-gb/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=1

Surely the OCR software can write to files directly itself? Then just open the file in LibreOffice.

Just buy office 365.

You get the full MS office suite and can install on 5 PC's , mobile devices , ipads etc.

Its only about ÂŁ 80 PA

Shoots tea out of his nose.....

"Only ÂŁ80 a year"

I clearly live in a different universe where that is insanely expensive.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Just buy office 365.

Its only about ÂŁ 80 PA

80 quid more than needed and has the utterly pointlessly crap ribbon bar.

I've had to resort to using sed and awk to get stuff into excel 365 that libreoffice will just open direct from the disk without a fuss...

You can pick up Microsoft Office 2016 Pro for around ÂŁ12. If you can't be bothered to spend that, you're beyond help.

You can thank the EU for this.

IF the EU are responsible for the abomination that is Office 2016 then can we please march and burn Bruxelles to the ground?

IF the EU are responsible for the abomination that is Office 2016 then can we please march and burn Bruxelles to the ground?

Not quite what I was meaning. They legally allowed the second hand sale of “refurbished” keys which Microsoft didn’t want. So instead of paying £200 for Office, you an get one for far less.