The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

There is no problem with immigration. The problems arise when it becomes unsustainable.

To maintain a certain level of immigration government needs to invest in services and infrastructure. If government doesn’t invest then that isn’t the fault of immigrants. After all immigrants are making rational economic decisions based on the options available to them.

Quite simply our governments (of all types) have not invested sufficiently in services, and embarked on insane policies (e.g. housing sector) while using few of the tools that were already available to control immigration.

The irony is that the heavy support for the people running Brexit is for the same people who have presided over these ruinous policies for 7 years, built on ruinous policies from previous governments. Given their track record how can these politicians possibly respond to the demand for change?

you mean like Labour having an open door when others put restrictions when the accession of the Easter counties were invited to join the EU

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:03 ----------

So what are the benefits then? You think immigration from the rest of the world will stop? Big business will throw its hands up and shout "more wages for everyone!" and chuck fivers in the air? You really think the current government will sort out deals like that?

The divorce bill is going to be about £50bn according to the BBC by the way. Who do you think will pay for that?

BBC is biased just got to see the interviews with David D today, why would anyone in the country want to down our side, I still cannot get my head around why we as a one of the largest Net contributor owe them anything

Nope. Quite the opposite.

From what you’ve said, you prefer to be lorded over by privately educated toffs.

Now don’t forget to doff your cap and bow before your superiors

Goldman Sachs board members will raise a large glass of Dom Perignon and thank all Remain voters for supporting the EU gravy train. Remainers supported the EU which permitted Goldman Sachs to make vast sums of money at the expense of the working class.

As we signed article 50, they'll have to let us back in and that will be very much on EU terms to the best of my knowledge and that will involve adopting the euro by my reckoning.

Dream on, that will happen.

Much better to listen to Goldman Sachs? A 'Vampire Squid' of a bank which helped Greece to hide its debt levels so that the country could join the euro. This crippled its economy and put millions of working class people out of work.

I’m not a fan of parasitic banks at all, but many of the problems affecting Greece were self-inflicted, such as unsustainable pensions (90% of final salary at age 55 is it??) and a culture of cash-in-hand tax-dodging (we have a similar problem on this very forum) and which corrupt moron in the Greek government approved the cooking of the books to join the Euro? It must have had significant support from somebody high up in the Greek government, surely?

Goldman Sachs also wanted the UK to join the Euro...

Didn’t Gordon McBroon block this? If so, he will always have a special place in my heart :)

Nope. Quite the opposite.

From what you’ve said, you prefer to be lorded over by privately educated toffs.

Now don’t forget to doff your cap and bow before your superiors

where did I say that? Quote, please.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:10 ----------

Dover and other ports, plus the channel tunnel.

20-30 mile sea crossings plus a tunnel close to tens of millions of people.

Read the report I linked to and you will understand the importance.

---------- Post added 17-11-2017 at 23:21 ----------

You couldn’t make it up could you?

---------- Post added 17-11-2017 at 23:26 ----------

There is a valid point in arguing that the EU is an agent of neoliberalism. Not going to dispute that.

But the vision of right wing Brexiteers eclipses any of the EU excesses. These people hate the EU not because it helps big business, but because they believe it constrains the corporates.

They want an acceleration of neoliberal policies and globalisation, not to end the process.

Bottom line is they don’t care if you end up with no job and no home. They simply couldn’t care less.

You're talking about EU road transport, how about ports taking containers and road transport?

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:14 ----------

I’m not a fan of parasitic banks at all, but many of the problems affecting Greece were self-inflicted, such as unsustainable pensions (90% of final salary at age 55 is it??) and a culture of cash-in-hand tax-dodging (we have a similar problem on this very forum) and which corrupt moron in the Greek government approved the cooking of the books to join the Euro? It must have had significant support from somebody high up in the Greek government, surely?

Didn’t Gordon McBroon block this? If so, he will always have a special place in my heart :)

They were sound when they joined the EU, oh now I remember the EU fixed it, invaded occupied and not a shot fired and you blame the Greeks.

Goldman Sachs board members will raise a large glass of Dom Perignon and thank all Remain voters for supporting the EU gravy train. Remainers supported the EU which permitted Goldman Sachs to make vast sums of money at the expense of the working class.

so, now we’re no longer paying £350million to fund the EU gravy train or to pay Goldman Sachs’ bar tab, when will my income tax bill drop accordingly ?

Dream on, that will happen.

You missed the point - we've left the eu. If we have a another referendum and chose to rejoin the eu, they'd have the choice to let us in or not and under what terms.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:20 ----------

you mean like Labour having an open door when others put restrictions when the accession of the Easter counties were invited to join the EU

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:03 ----------

BBC is biased just got to see the interviews with David D today, why would anyone in the country want to down our side, I still cannot get my head around why we as a one of the largest Net contributor owe them anything

Because we all planned projects in the eu, long term projects that still need paying for and finishing. Now we won't enjoy the fruits of those projects but that's our fault not the eu. Didn't anyone tell you this before the referendum?

You missed the point - we've left the eu. If we have a another referendum and chose to rejoin the eu, they'd have the choice to let us in or not and under what terms.

I agree but once bitten, for the Euro to work there would have to be a universal tax, across the EU.

where did I say that? Quote, please.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:10 ----------

You're talking about EU road transport, how about ports taking containers and road transport?

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:14 ----------

They were sound when they joined the EU, oh now I remember the EU fixed it, invaded occupied and not a shot fired and you blame the Greeks.

I’m talking about it because we will still have to do 50% of our trade with the EU for a long time to come. Goods can’t be just teleported in and out of the country

I agree but once bitten, for the Euro to work there would have to be a universal tax, across the EU.

I don't know Phil truth were told. It works of a fashion now, most of the time.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:20 ----------

Because we all planned projects in the eu, long term projects that still need paying for and finishing. Now we won't enjoy the fruits of those projects but that's our fault not the eu. Didn't anyone tell you this before the referendum?

We are committed to current projects yes, how much real estate do we own over there? We must have at least a fifth of the building they are sitting in. I have not heard anyone saying they are thinking of pulling the plug on funding the current fiscal projects, also we are committed to their inflated pensions. After that what? schemes

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:42 ----------

I don't know Phil truth were told. It works of a fashion now, most of the time.

I was a believer in the Euro, then the EU wanted, poorer members that had so different structures to Northern Europeans, then I realised it was a doomed project.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:50 ----------

I’m talking about it because we will still have to do 50% of our trade with the EU for a long time to come. Goods can’t be just teleported in and out of the country

Logistically, only time-sensitive goods need to come through the shortest way. A lot of EU transport companies deliver goods from the EU, then ply their trade within the UK., to be honest, I don't believe that there is a need for the number of EU trucks to be in the UK. Its a detriment to the UK trucking industry

Edited by phil752

We are committed to current projects yes, how much real estate do we own over there? We must have at least a fifth of the building they are sitting in. I have not heard anyone saying they are thinking of pulling the plug on funding the current fiscal projects, also we are committed to their inflated pensions. After that what? schemes

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:42 ----------

I was a believer in the Euro, then the EU wanted, poorer members that had so different structures to Northern Europeans, then I realised it was a doomed project.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 00:50 ----------

Logistically, only time-sensitive goods need to come through the shortest way. A lot of EU transport companies deliver goods from the EU, then ply their trade within the UK., to be honest, I don't believe that there is a need for the number of EU trucks to be in the UK. Its a detriment to the UK trucking industry

The problem is you are wishing and hoping for an unrealistic overnight logistical earthquake.

It isn’t going to happen. It will take years and during that time our primary trading partner will be the EU. No way round it. Just face reality.