Firth Park 50s and 60s

hilip4 sent to a private message , Dave

I called in to the Stubbin community centre on Fairthorn Rd today with my old Hucklow junior school friend Michael Maw. We had a great time talking to other golden oldies and playing indoor curling while others played cards or just chin wagged. We were astonished at the types of activities offered to the over 55s and we will be attending on friday to play walking football. The two young people who run the centre are brilliant and they organise trips all over the place free of charge including a recent day to Whitby.

I would reccomend this venue to everyone especially our old friends from Hucklow Rd School from the 50s..60s.

You just have to turn up at 1.00pm on a Tuesday where after a hello you'll get a cup of tea then just join in.

I look forward to seeing you there especially if you were in Miss Clarkes class J4A./B 1962/3

Alan

Hi Allan sounds good pity I can't join you , love talking about old times , keeps your memory working. Can anyone remember Wayne Lee lived on Tideswell last house before school started . Brother was a copper

Hi Allan sounds good pity I can't join you , love talking about old times , keeps your memory working. Can anyone remember Wayne Lee lived on Tideswell last house before school started . Brother was a copper

I don't remember Wayne, but I'm sure my Mum would. I remember Mr and Mrs Lee with all the cats

Wayne was my uncle though only 4 yr older. He had two brothers, my uncle Brian and Roger and a sister Elsie my mum. Roger Lee was the local PC. Sadly all have passed away now.

My grandmother did have lots of cats and my grandad Eddie sold cigs from his front room, he would even sell them one at a time.

Oh sorry to hear that . Wayne used to hang around with us quite often , was in school with Wayne at Hucklow . His name just popped into my mind . Roger was brilliant has a police man once caught us throwing fireworks handled it very well and left us in no mind to get caught again. Yes and remember the cig buisiness my dad used to send me to get his 5 woodbine 10 if he was flush .

Hiya to all who remember me (Rod Sockett) I've just read the name Wayne Lee. I remember him well.I remember You Heather Fergus and Alan. Other people from the area who are around the same age as me ( give or take a year) Cliff Redfearn and his brother Mick. I have a drink with Cliff every Friday night in Sheffield Lane Top W.M.C. Keith Cotterill ( he lives in the Norwich area these days but I see him occasionally when he comes to Sheffield). Dave Irving still lives in the area. Some of you may remember my sister Lynn, although she is 3 years younger than me, she is still living quite local. Do any of you remember John Dickinson? He lived on Cammel road. He lives in Australia but we are in contact from time to time. Glynn Smith ( okker as we called him) Keith Ratcliffe ( he lives on the same road as me). There are others whose names I forget who I sometimes see and say hello without really having a chat. All the very best to all that remember me.

Hiya to all who remember me (Rod Sockett) I've just read the name Wayne Lee. I remember him well.I remember You Heather Fergus and Alan. Other people from the area who are around the same age as me ( give or take a year) Cliff Redfearn and his brother Mick. I have a drink with Cliff every Friday night in Sheffield Lane Top W.M.C. Keith Cotterill ( he lives in the Norwich area these days but I see him occasionally when he comes to Sheffield). Dave Irving still lives in the area. Some of you may remember my sister Lynn, although she is 3 years younger than me, she is still living quite local. Do any of you remember John Dickinson? He lived on Cammel road. He lives in Australia but we are in contact from time to time. Glynn Smith ( okker as we called him) Keith Ratcliffe ( he lives on the same road as me). There are others whose names I forget who I sometimes see and say hello without really having a chat. All the very best to all that remember me.

I remember all the names, you were the big lads. Your sister Lynn was the year behind me, same year as my mate Michael Maw. Mike and I will be at the Stubbins Community centre Fairthorn Road 1.00pm next Tuesday if you would like to catch up. I had a schoolmate Brian Dickinson, must be John's brother. Next door was Brian Whitaker I think that was his name he was a year younger than you, he was in my sister Hilary's class.

Friday Mike and I played walking football at Concord, this is free to you if you make an appearance at the Stubbins centre, it was great fun but tiring...average age well over 65.

I found I was just as bad as I always was! I'm taking that as a plus!

I too remember the names now that you have reminded me , well done Rod . Can put a face to some . Keith Cotterill didn't he live on the top of the oval . Another person I remember David Unwin he live up that little road opposite Wayne Lees house can't remember name. One end started tideswell and finished on the oval , something Way.

---------- Post added 12-11-2017 at 08:02 ----------

Susan Skidmore is another name what's come back , lived on Bolsover .

I too remember the names now that you have reminded me , well done Rod . Can put a face to some . Keith Cotterill didn't he live on the top of the oval . Another person I remember David Unwin he live up that little road opposite Wayne Lees house can't remember name. One end started tideswell and finished on the oval , something Way.

---------- Post added 12-11-2017 at 08:02 ----------

Susan Skidmore is another name what's come back , lived on Bolsover .

Keith and Stephen Cotterill lived at 55 the Oval, David, Elaine Peter and Christine Unwin lived at the very top of Man Way. Stephen and Peter were in my year at Hucklow

I think David Unwin lived on Calder Way. Susan Skidmore did live on Bolsover Road as I did. I still see Susan now and again. Anyone remember Tony and Melvyn Hogg, they lived on Firth Park Road opposite the bottom of Bolsover Road. Sadly Tony passed away a few years ago. Melvyn lives in Hull I believe. I'll probably remember a few more names before long.

Yes remember Hoggs I think . You and susan used to be on my paper round after I changed from Camms and went to Gabitas at firvale . Used to think Susan was brilliant , remember me to her when next you see her . It was Maun way that David Unwin lived on

Regards Dave Gregory

Also on Maun way we're the Hills, Susan still lives at Firth Park but now On North Quadrant opposite the old Sunday school. Marie and Dennis Shepherd lived next to the Unwins, Further along was Alan Fletcher then John and Stephen Moffat. The Moffat moved to Shire green to Clematis Road. On the oval there was Alan Stone, Michael and Brian Hudson, Alan, Heather, Hilary and Andrew Fergus. I'll remember more after a short nap to recharge my brain.