Brown paper bin sacks

Can anyone remember the brown paper sacks which replaced dustbins for a while in the 1970s. You placed them on a concrete stand with a wire contraption holding them into place, took them off, tied them up and left for the bin men. They certainly had them in Grenoside and Chapeltown but I can't remember how long they lasted before being replaced with conventional bins again!

I remember them and if the wire guard wasn't secured around them the foxes would tear into the paper bag at night if they thought they could smell any scraps of food.

I think it was all changed to proper bins when Sheffield took over Wortley which was . . . .mmmm got me there, I'd say around 1978.

I lived at greno in the 70's and remember the paper bin bags. If it rained heavy they would fall to bits.

Another great decision by the council.

Jim, perhaps the paper bag fiasco was not the doing of Sheffield CC as that area was administered by Wortley till 1974..but then again...

Edited by St Petre
Add

Another great decision by the council.

Nothing to do with the Sheffield Council on that occasion as we belonged to the West Riding then.

I remember them at Stannington.

It if rained heavily they would disintegrate and they weren't quite big enough to go on the stand provided - always had to rip them a bit to get them on.

i moved to high green in 1984 and am sure we had them for a short period

Can you remember the brown carrier bags with string handles we used to have at the shops?

Can you remember the brown carrier bags with string handles we used to have at the shops?

Yes, what happened to them ? Not so great though when the bottom got wet and the contents fell out.

Hi smary and St Petre - I'm glad you also remember these bags as whenever I mention them to people I get a blank look! In the 1950s/60s they usually cost 4d and often had the shop name etc. printed on them. The top of the bag where the string handles were attached was reinforced with cardboard. Thanks to Google here is a photo of one.

Hi smary and St Petre - I'm glad you also remember these bags as whenever I mention them to people I get a blank look! In the 1950s/60s they usually cost 4d and often had the shop name etc. printed on them. The top of the bag where the string handles were attached was reinforced with cardboard. Thanks to Google here is a photo of one.

Thanks Mr.H. Perhaps that's the world's shortest phone number on the bag.