Any memories of the sidewalk cafe chapel walk

I used to work there in the early 70's as a Saturday girl. Anyone remember the square scones? :thumbsup:

I do. I thought they were lovely and very filling. The butter nearly always melted when you use to spread it on the scones. I am sure they were fresh out of the oven. I use to have one for my lunch most days. Oh I wish I had the recipe.

Many happy memories of The Sidewalk when Chapel walk was thriving like a mini Carnaby St. It's in a sorry state now.

I seem to remember really nice artists materials/craft shop there ? I can't remember the name of it though.

I seem to remember really nice artists materials/craft shop there ? I can't remember the name of it though.

Whiteheads.

Was it ? Thanks anyway!

I think so. I used to go in there with my mum to buy bags of felt and other crafty bits and pieces. Small shop, but packed to the rafters with all sorts of stuff. It moved to the bottom of London Road, as I recall.

I think so. I used to go in there with my mum to buy bags of felt and other crafty bits and pieces. Small shop, but packed to the rafters with all sorts of stuff. It moved to the bottom of London Road, as I recall.

H. R. Whitehead, handicraft supplies, 21 Chapel Walk. (1965 directory).

I also remember the London Rd./St.Mary's Gate shop, I used to buy polystyrene balls for fishing from there.

Edited by me-and-pippo
sp:

Yes I remember going with my mum and getting raffia and paints it was a lovely little shop.

I was discussing the Sidewalk with a friend just the other day! They did lovely scones and coffee. It was a good place for people watching.

Oh! I loved the Sidewalk. I'd go there with my mates on a Saturday. We'd just hang out with coffees. Cool moments with boyfriends. A special time! I will come back to UK this next year and visit, but having read the blogs, it sounds run down.

I remember the Sidewalk Café on Change Alley, there was a group of us went there every afternoon at 4.00pm when we finished at Whiteley's Commercial College on Surrey Street in the late 60's, we often mixed with the famous faces of Sheffield, such as Joe Cocker, Dave Berry, Peter Stringfellow.

178 Patricia

I remember the Sidewalk Café on Change Alley, there was a group of us went there every afternoon at 4.00pm when we finished at Whiteley's Commercial College on Surrey Street in the late 60's, we often mixed with the famous faces of Sheffield, such as Joe Cocker, Dave Berry, Peter Stringfellow.

178 Patricia

The 'Sidewalk Cafe" was on Chapel Walk. Change Alley was demolished around 1966, perhaps you meant 'Marsden's ?

---------- Post added 26-04-2016 at 20:36 ----------

This had to be the meeting point for most Sheffield groups in the sixties, Dave Berry & the Cruisers, The Bitter Suite, Glyn Barry, Joe Cocker who occasionally sang with the Bitter suite.It was a great atmosphere but difficult getting in if the groups were there but well worth it...A

Don't remember Joe singing with 'Bitter Suite' -even as a guest- as he'd been in U.S. for years by the time they were formed. Even 'Dean Marshall and the Deputies'- the 1963 nucleus of that group- and in both cases that was Barry Marshall anyway.

Edited by stpetre
Add