Time to turn things off and make adjustments

"The simple fact is, when you use a microwave, you’re getting a lot more than the food you eat."

They are making some huge assumptions there mostly around packaging.

For example, microwaving my porridge in a ceramic bowl in the morning would be subject to none of those side-effects except perhaps a little vitamin loss in the milk itself. The oats do not heat up much as they are not subject to the milk long enough to soak it up, they mostly do so in the standing time afterwards when the temperate has already dropped. Then I add honey which will not have lost any nutrients.

So suggesting that you NEVER use a Microwave is poor advice.

Also if you read up on cooking food in pans/ovens then you will see similar claims of the metal seeping into your food. So there really is no completely safe way of cooking, but its safer than eating a lot of things raw.

Mind you I'm screwed anyway as I HAVE to eat ready meals due to issues in my hands which makes preparing food impractical.

Ultimately if the worry is losing vitamins, then you just have to make sure its a balanced diet with enough raw fruit and/or vegetables too.

If its the containers you cook in, well, you're screwed either way.

"Leaks, burns, nutritional concerns, and promoting a culture of laziness and immediate gratification are all good reasons why you may want to consider a different cooking method."

"Microwaves are regulated to ensure only low levels of radiation escape—most of which dissipates within one or two feet.

That may sound good, but low radiation is different from no radiation."

Its pretty simple, leave the kitchen during microwaving. Any residual radiation is unlikely to make it through the wall. If it did, you would notice as your WiFi would slow to a crawl. ;)

Honestly, I live close to a cell tower so it seems pointless worrying about things that give out an order of magnitude less radiation. Oh and I DID look out for changes in my health when that tower went online, its just as poor as its always been, following the same routine as my mums health issues which started long before microwave ovens, WiFi or mobile phones.

I think a LOT of things people are associating with microwave radiation are normal health problems. But as science has no explanation, they point the blame at something as they want answers. There is a lot to be said for placebo effect, feeling better just because you THINK you do. (although it doesn't work for everyone, never has for me)

Edited by AlexAtkin

"The simple fact is, when you use a microwave, you’re getting a lot more than the food you eat."

They are making some huge assumptions there mostly around packaging.

For example, microwaving my porridge in a ceramic bowl in the morning would be subject to none of those side-effects except perhaps a little vitamin loss in the milk itself. The oats do not heat up much as they are not subject to the milk long enough to soak it up, they mostly do so in the standing time afterwards when the temperate has already dropped. Then I add honey which will not have lost any nutrients.

So suggesting that you NEVER use a Microwave is poor advice.

Also if you read up on cooking food in pans/ovens then you will see similar claims of the metal seeping into your food. So there really is no completely safe way of cooking, but its safer than eating a lot of things raw.

Mind you I'm screwed anyway as I HAVE to eat ready meals due to issues in my hands which makes preparing food impractical.

Ultimately if the worry is losing vitamins, then you just have to make sure its a balanced diet with enough raw fruit and/or vegetables too.

If its the containers you cook in, well, you're screwed either way.

"Leaks, burns, nutritional concerns, and promoting a culture of laziness and immediate gratification are all good reasons why you may want to consider a different cooking method."

"Microwaves are regulated to ensure only low levels of radiation escape—most of which dissipates within one or two feet.

That may sound good, but low radiation is different from no radiation."

Its pretty simple, leave the kitchen during microwaving. Any residual radiation is unlikely to make it through the wall. If it did, you would notice as your WiFi would slow to a crawl. ;)

Honestly, I live close to a cell tower so it seems pointless worrying about things that give out an order of magnitude less radiation. Oh and I DID look out for changes in my health when that tower went online, its just as poor as its always been, following the same routine as my mums health issues which started long before microwave ovens, WiFi or mobile phones.

I think a LOT of things people are associating with microwave radiation are normal health problems. But as science has no explanation, they point the blame at something as they want answers. There is a lot to be said for placebo effect, feeling better just because you THINK you do. (although it doesn't work for everyone, never has for me)

Hi Alex, good advice - also stated in this Daily Mail article - I also did not know that microwaves leak through walls! ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3745308/From-cataracts-cancer-REAL-dangers-microwave-ovens-test-leaking.html

Do you even go out in sunlight? That big unshielded nuclear reactor in the sky emits an awful lot of microwaves that make it to the surface...

Do you even go out in sunlight? That big unshielded nuclear reactor in the sky emits an awful lot of microwaves that make it to the surface...

Yes I do, sensibly covered!:D

But you can't wear protective barriers to Microwaves - well worth a read:

http://www.stopthecrime.net/trower%20to%20irish.pdf

Don't have a microwave or ever intend having one. :D
I avoid using a microwave at all costs!!

Not good for food... Ruins it!!

@Dude111 - you should be more concerned with Wi-Fi and mobile technology - read the pdf! ;)

Yes I do, sensibly covered!:D

But you can't wear protective barriers to Microwaves - well worth a read:

http://www.stopthecrime.net/trower%20to%20irish.pdf

So you are worried about milliwatt microwaves yet you use a computer that emits microwaves and go out in sunlight?

I used to think you were a somewhat sensible poster but this is MAC33 levels of batcrappery.

Hi Alex, good advice - also stated in this Daily Mail article - I also did not know that microwaves leak through walls! ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3745308/From-cataracts-cancer-REAL-dangers-microwave-ovens-test-leaking.html

Well WiFi wouldn't work if it couldn't.

Honestly if you take all this to its natural conclusion, we should all stop using electricity, period. But that's just silly as electrical devices have extended our lives well beyond the point where how much it reduces them is relevant.

Without electrical devices I would have died at birth!

Whenever I read horror stories about things like this, I always wonder how anyone who thinks we're all dying because of terrible things like microwaves (or non-alkali diets, or wifi, or chemtrails or ghosts or whatever) can explain the steady increase in life expectancy we have seen over the last hundred years.

Also, microwaves don't cause cancer. If you've watched the video, do also have a read of this: https://thehealthsciencesacademy.org/health-tips/microwave-radiation/

Edited by TimmyR

I think the real issue is EVERYONE has their own sensitivities. Some people are more prone to cancer so things which might not typically cause cancer can increase your chances if you are genetically prone to it. But avoiding all those things is outright impossible.

I myself have plenty of allergies (though thankfully less than my mum). I'm sensitive to perfume, spray deodorant, smoke, dust, pollen, many handwashes, cold water (I have blood flow issues in my hands), but nobody is catering to my issues, I have to live with it.

There is no telling if any of those are increasing my risk of lung cancer.

If we banned everything people might be sensitive to, it would cause far bigger problems for everyone.

Heck, I have hayfever but totally support keeping our healthy street trees. Because the benefits far outweigh the down sides, the same with WiFi, cell phones, etc.

I think the real issue is EVERYONE has their own sensitivities. Some people are more prone to cancer so things which might not typically cause cancer can increase your chances if you are genetically prone to it. But avoiding all those things is outright impossible.

I myself have plenty of allergies (though thankfully less than my mum). I'm sensitive to perfume, spray deodorant, smoke, dust, pollen, many handwashes, cold water (I have blood flow issues in my hands), but nobody is catering to my issues, I have to live with it.

There is no telling if any of those are increasing my risk of lung cancer.

If we banned everything people might be sensitive to, it would cause far bigger problems for everyone.

Heck, I have hayfever but totally support keeping our healthy street trees. Because the benefits far outweigh the down sides, the same with WiFi, cell phones, etc.

Its true, there are lifelong smokers who die in their 90s "of natural causes" and people who've never smoked who get lung cancer at 30. The difference is that there is considerable evidence that smoking increases the risk of cancer. I doubt there is any evidence to support microwaves causing cancer. personally I'm not ditching my microwave because some unscientifically backed loon on you tube tells me to.

Edited by TimmyR