Artists performing at Sheffield Theatres

And for jazz and swing fans, not 1964 I know but Count Basie, Sarah Vaughan and Jimmy Rushing at the City Hall in 1963, and I believe Sarah made some comment about the acoustics....brilliant concert though.

I saw Shirley Bassey at the Empire in 1957

The Lyceum about 1958

Package tour

Ken Dodd

Terry Hall [Lenny the Lion]

Eddie Calvert [The man with the golden trmpet]

Rosemary Squires

Dickie Valentine

About the same time

Hilda Baker

Sheffield Empire

Right, I've got information for all the dates I needed in the original post but there are two I'm looking for information on.

Actress Anna Neagle visited Sheffield for a few days starting March 2nd 1936 but I don't know the reason- if anyone has any information on that I'd be grateful. Again, I've visited the archives and there's an account of her arrival on the 12:14 from London at Sheffield Midland but no details as to what she was doing for the period that she was here.

The other one is Big Bill Broonzy who I know visited the city in or around March 1957. Does anyone know if he performed in Sheffield? I can find no accounts in local archives but this isn't unusual for an artist who may have only performed in small venues.

And thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. I may not use the information immediately but it will be retained because it could come in useful later.

Big Bill performed at the City Hall. I still have the ticket stub somewhere, can possibly find it if it's important

Big Bill performed at the City Hall. I still have the ticket stub somewhere, can possibly find it if it's important

If you can remember dates that would be good. I know he performed in Sheffield several times but dates are a bit sketchy.

I'm particularly interested in March 1957 because I think by that time he was feeling the effects of the cancer that would ultimately lead to his death. I know. with about 90% certainty that he visited Sheffield around that time, I have two first hand accounts.

I remember seeing Big Bill Broonzy at the City Hall. I think, Chris Barber Band with Ottile Patterson were on the same bill. I am pretty sure it was 1957

Yes, they were on tour together and Brother John Sellers was on the bill too. Someone sent me a copy of the programme only yesterday. March 1957.

Seem to remember going to see Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee - perhaps with Lightnin' Hopkins? - in Sheffield as well. Mid-late 60's?

Hanged if I remember where, though...City Memorial Hall?

I remember my mother going to see; Slim Whitman at the Empire . She was a big fan of his.

Emile Ford and the Checkmates - City Hall - late 1959.

There was also the Plaza cinema at Handsworth, some good acts performed there.