BT/Phorm commit 19million acts of 'illegal' data interception

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7438578.stm

How BT and other ISPs have been allowed to break the Data Protection Act so blatently and on such a massive scale and get away with it is beyond me. If it had been a Government department who did the same thing the media would have been clamoring for resignations.

Now a leaked internal BT report on their 'illegal' trial of the system shows that every webpage they intercepted could be traced back to an individual via their IP Address, something BT and Phorm denied and a clear breach of the DPA.

Hopefully the ICO will launch a prosecution soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7438578.stm

Now a leaked internal BT report on their 'illegal' trial of the system shows that every webpage they intercepted could be traced back to an individual via their IP Address, something BT and Phorm denied and a clear breach of the DPA.

So what?

If you've done nothing wrong, you've nothing to worry about!

Are you worried?

No I'm not worried but then again just because I'm not worried doesn't mean I want a private adverting company who have been responsible for a large amount of illegal spyware over the past few years to have access to everything I do online, including my financial information. This system is a fraudsters wet dream and internet security experts are calling it that.

It has nothing to do with 'if you've got nothing to hide'. People have a right to privacy.

Would you be happy for BT to install CCTV camera inside your home? I doubt it but you're perfectly happy for them to watch your every move online and sell that info to a third party just so they can make a bit more money?

Would you be happy for BT to install CCTV camera inside your home? I doubt it but you're perfectly happy for them to watch your every move online and sell that info to a third party just so they can make a bit more money?

About as happy as BT would be for the public to do the same to them.

Hmmm, i was considering cancelling our BT contract already due to their stupid billing system and the TV box not working. Anyone know what the cancellation fee would be?

Hmmm, i was considering cancelling our BT contract already due to their stupid billing system and the TV box not working. Anyone know what the cancellation fee would be?

When a friend did this they were asked to pay up to the end of the contract as a lump sum.

Do you mean that they thought they had cancelled it properly? Least they can do is fix the TV.. only reason i signed up!! urrrghh

The ICO are toothless. This is blatantly illegal behaviour from BT but the ICO don't have the guts to charge them over it. The government are implicitly backing BT since this widespread browsing collection is the sort of thing they'd like to do. Instead of introducing it themselves, they're allowing BT to do it first and take all the flak.

As soon as the Phorm news first broke in February, I phoned BT and told them that under the Data Protection Act and RIPA, I denied them permission to pass my browsing information to Phorm or any other third party. I then emailed them to inform them of the same thing. Around two months ago I then emailed them to ask if I was one of the customers whose browsing data was secretly intercepted in the Phorm trials in 2006 and 2007. Like the cowards that they are, they haven't even bothered to reply.

Unfortunately I'm still locked into my BT broadband contract. I'm just waiting for them to change the terms and conditions necessary to introduce Phorm, at which time I'll walk out of my contract without penalty. The crooks.

I wouldn't mind so much if this targeted advertising was used in some way to increase quality of service or bring down prices, but you just know this won't be the case.

Do you mean that they thought they had cancelled it properly? Least they can do is fix the TV.. only reason i signed up!! urrrghh

They moved into a house and set up a landline with BT but 4 months later the landlord wanted to move back in so he had to move out. He moved in with someone who already had a landline so had to cancel - and had to pay the remaining 8 months as a lump sum. Hope that makes more sense!

When BT start running this Phorm system nationwide they will have to send out new contracts to everyone. You should be able to cancel your contract at that point without having to pay them a penny. The only problem then is finding an ISP that isn't introducing the same system.

Around two months ago I then emailed them to ask if I was one of the customers whose browsing data was secretly intercepted in the Phorm trials in 2006 and 2007. Like the cowards that they are, they haven't even bothered to reply.

Did you send them a £10 note as admin fee? They have to provide you with any information they have about you but only if you pay them an admin fee for the time taken to provide that info. I think you also have to make the request in writing, not by email.