PIP, waiting for the forms to arrive.

Got the dreaded brown envelope from the Government today. I gave it a good dose of looking at, and unless you are confined to bed with no legs it's hard to see how you would qualify for the living component and the mobility component.

The letter gives a phone number to ring, to claim PIP for both of the above. I duly did this and was connected to a human after about 20 minutes of waiting.

The human was well trained, as he rattled through the shpeel at the front of him, his tone never altered in any way, he may as well have been a robot.

The only bit that annoyed me was to be called a customer. You are not a customer, I think patient would be a better word. Any how it takes around 17 weeks to settle your "claim" I was told.

Been a little computer savvy I spied the welfare rights and CaB sites on PIP. Seems they will fill the forms in for you. Is this the best idea or are you better trying to do it yourself.

The only bit that really annoyed me is thinking that the persons who dreamed this scam up are those who claimed 35p for a sink plug, and God knows how much to have their moat cleaned out. Or indeed swapped homes to fiddle money they were not due to. It stinks.

Angel1.

I would advise NEVER fill the forms in yourself, leave it to people that KNOW what the DWP want as answers.

I would advise NEVER fill the forms in yourself, leave it to people that KNOW what the DWP want as answers.

Thank you for that info.

Angel1.

It’s not quite as easy as that. They do not know you and your problems so can only write down the information that you give them. The applicant needs to think very carefully about the impact of the disability on the activities of daily living. Consider those things for which help is needed and who provides it.

In view of the time limitation it might be helpful to keep a detailed diary for a few weeks prior to requesting the forms. Every detail matters, no matter how small. For example, if you can dress yourself but can’t put socks on, mention it.

Regarding medical evidence, it is important because they can (and sometimes do) contact the medical practitioner. On a separate sheet of paper, write down all medications and doctor/hospital appointments. If the medication gives side effects mention this too.

The forms do not provide enough space so it is vital to add written supplementary evidence, retaining a copy. Doing this in a structured way helps to focus the mind. Start at the beginning of the day e.g. washing, dressing, taking medication, getting breakfast. If you don’t sleep well, mention this as you will be tired and unable to function very well in the morning. Work through the day, adding all the things you find hard or are unable to do. If your problem is predominantly pain, describe this and the activities that it stops you from doing.

Edited by Jomie

Good sound advice, thank you. Form (book) has to be returned before 7th April. not given a lot of time to return it, although you can phone to extend the time.

Angel1

The CAB were booked up well after my form had to be returned, but they put me on to DIAL (Disability Information Advice Line) a local charity kind of organisation I believe. Got to see them and received help filling in the 40 page "form". The Lady I had contact with was well versed with the ins and outs of the questions, and was a great help. So the form is on its way, I await my fate.

Delving into the PIP farce, it seems the form is examined by a health professional, certainly NOT trained up to GP standard. To add insult to injury the decision maker is basically a civil servant, without any medical experience who reads up about the case, then makes a decision that could effect you for the rest of your life. Is there any wonder that around 65% of all cases that reach a tribunal are overturned. How does the Government square the circle when we ship out £13 BILLION in overseas aid every year. Our Country is going downhill at a rapid rate, while we all stand still and watch it.

Angel1.

The CAB were booked up well after my form had to be returned, but they put me on to DIAL (Disability Information Advice Line) a local charity kind of organisation I believe. Got to see them and received help filling in the 40 page "form". The Lady I had contact with was well versed with the ins and outs of the questions, and was a great help. So the form is on its way, I await my fate.

Delving into the PIP farce, it seems the form is examined by a health professional, certainly NOT trained up to GP standard. To add insult to injury the decision maker is basically a civil servant, without any medical experience who reads up about the case, then makes a decision that could effect you for the rest of your life. Is there any wonder that around 65% of all cases that reach a tribunal are overturned. How does the Government square the circle when we ship out £13 BILLION in overseas aid every year. Our Country is going downhill at a rapid rate, while we all stand still and watch it.

Angel1.

It is a pain alright, and deliberately so I'm afraid to say. I wish you well with it, you did right in getting help to complete the form. If they turn you down make sure you do appeal - as you say, the majority of appeals are successful. You'd be best starting with the person who helped you fill in the form if it comes to that but hopefully it won't. Take someone with you to the assessment and get them to take notes (they are allowed to). Tell them how your condition affects you and tell them how much of the time you have difficulty with things - if something is difficult or impossible most or all of the time that is important and goes in your favour. If you can do something unaided but it wipes you out and you have to rest for a long time afterwards make sure you tell them that, it's relevant. I'm continually amazed by how many people put a positive front on when they go to an assessment, make sure they look their best, etc. Don't do that, be yourself so that they can get a sense of how things usually are for you. All the best.

Update, received a letter this morning informing me that the "assessment" would be conducted at my home and not in an office some where.

Don't know if this is good or bad news to be honest.

Angel1.

Update, received a letter this morning informing me that the "assessment" would be conducted at my home and not in an office some where.

Don't know if this is good or bad news to be honest.

Angel1.

I think thats good news, It was for me, so lets hope so.

Had my assessment to-day. My assessor was a nice lady to be honest. Just hoping now that it goes my way, fingers crossed, toes crossed and owt else I can cross crossed.

It's a poor system that picks on the disabled members of society to swell the Government coffers. Sorry to say it again, the £13 billion that goes in overseas aid should be spent on the folks that need it here, many of us who have worked and paid our taxes need help now. Like our friends who have been disabled from birth, they need continuous help, not threatening letters from the DLA.

Rant over, it just makes my urine boil thinking of the Parasites that inhabit Westminster, flip flopping houses, fiddling expenses, claiming for anything they can get away with, the thieving gits.:rant:

Angel1.

Had my assessment to-day. My assessor was a nice lady to be honest. Just hoping now that it goes my way, fingers crossed, toes crossed and owt else I can cross crossed.

It's a poor system that picks on the disabled members of society to swell the Government coffers. Sorry to say it again, the £13 billion that goes in overseas aid should be spent on the folks that need it here, many of us who have worked and paid our taxes need help now. Like our friends who have been disabled from birth, they need continuous help, not threatening letters from the DLA.

Rant over, it just makes my urine boil thinking of the Parasites that inhabit Westminster, flip flopping houses, fiddling expenses, claiming for anything they can get away with, the thieving gits.:rant:

Angel1.

Good luck, and I’m sure it will go your way. I know two people who have just had an assessment and they ended up getting more money. So be positive.

I filled my own out some years ago, had to send it to Leeds, I could have walked to Leeds and back if I was fit some year later I sent for a up date on my claim,and was asked why I did not claim at the same time as my first claim,because local advice centre told me I could only claim for one thing at a time,they cost me four years money when I filled my first claim out I took a copy of it, within a month they sent me another set of forms to fill in the only thing I put different was that I had a hearing aid fitted, they gave me full amount for life.