Nintendo DSi won't won't read AAC files

We just got a Nintendo DSi for the young 'uns Birthday and put one of his favourite songs on a newly formatted SD card (formatted to FAT)

I'd previously converted the song from mp3 to AAC (it plays OK in Winamp) but when we go into the music section of the DSi it says "Cannot find any compatible music (AAC Files) on the SD card"

Any help appreciated! :)

Edited by Draggletail
Edited - it's a DSi not a DS

put them as .m4a, the DS doesn't support AAC as far as i'm aware...

put them as .m4a, the DS doesn't support AAC as far as i'm aware...

Oops, sorry Ghozer it's a DSi

EDIT:

.m4a works though, ta :)

Edited by Draggletail

I'm curious; Why convert an mp3 to AAC? I cannot think of any benefit of that at all. If it was something that was converted from a bluray or dvd then yea, but mp3?

Do tell :-)

The dsl does, so I don't see why not.

I'm curious; Why convert an mp3 to AAC? I cannot think of any benefit of that at all. If it was something that was converted from a bluray or dvd then yea, but mp3?

Do tell :-)

When I put the SD card containing the mp3 into the DSi I got the message "Cannot find any compatible music (AAC Files) on the SD card" so assumed it didn't support mp3 (after all it couldn't find the mp3)

The message read in such a way that it seemed that the DSi only supported AAC, but as Ghozer pointed out, it does support .m4a