Sixty years an Owl.

I also love a bit of football nostalgia.

Sheffield libraries have various sporting nostalgia discussion groups at about 5 or 6 venues, including Firth Park, Stocksbrdge, Crystal Peaks, Parsons Cross. The timetable says they usually meet on Mondays and Thursdays. It’s a good idea for us older heads, I think it’s over 55s.

I keep meaning to attend a session but never get round to it.

Incidentally there are Sheffield Football History Walking groups planned for Saturday and Sunday 21st and 22nd April, also organised by Sheffield Libraries, they’re free and start at a venue in Heeley, early afternoon, I’ve booked on the Sunday walk.

I started attending Bramall Lane in 1966 but have been going to matches since 1958 with my father. Made my own decision to become a Blade in 1966. My father supported another club.

Good un pal, I don't like it when I see pictures in the Star of the latest dad holding his two hour old sprog dressed in a football shirt ,hat and rattle ,football and religion should be left to the lads and lasses to make their own minds up if they are interested when they get older.

I also love a bit of football nostalgia.

Sheffield libraries have various sporting nostalgia discussion groups at about 5 or 6 venues, including Firth Park, Stocksbrdge, Crystal Peaks, Parsons Cross. The timetable says they usually meet on Mondays and Thursdays. It’s a good idea for us older heads, I think it’s over 55s.

I keep meaning to attend a session but never get round to it.

Incidentally there are Sheffield Football History Walking groups planned for Saturday and Sunday 21st and 22nd April, also organised by Sheffield Libraries, they’re free and start at a venue in Heeley, early afternoon, I’ve booked on the Sunday walk.

I started attending Bramall Lane in 1966 but have been going to matches since 1958 with my father. Made my own decision to become a Blade in 1966. My father supported another club.

Theres an app available for the walk as well so you can do it yourself if you cant make this weekend, I intend to do it when I have the time.

Theres an app available for the walk as well so you can do it yourself if you cant make this weekend, I intend to do it when I have the time.

Thanks for that. I may have already downloaded the app, not sure, I do fancy doing it in a guided group with others

---------- Post added 17-04-2018 at 08:47 ----------

Good un pal, I don't like it when I see pictures in the Star of the latest dad holding his two hour old sprog dressed in a football shirt ,hat and rattle ,football and religion should be left to the lads and lasses to make their own minds up if they are interested when they get older.

100% right. Cheers

Thanks for that. I may have already downloaded the app, not sure, I do fancy doing it in a guided group with others

---------- Post added 17-04-2018 at 08:47 ----------

100% right. Cheers

I would have liked the guided one but can't make this weekend, I thinks theres an audio commentary you can use at certain points on the app.

Edited by top4718

Anybody remember this tale...

Many years ago, late 70s maybe, Wednesday were in the old 3rd division, not sure but I think they were playing PNE in front of about 11,000 fans (guesswork). I was stood at leppings lane end, it was dire, raining cold miserable, second half I was half a sleep.

Then a portly elderly gentleman pushed past me stark naked walked to the front climbed over the wall and ran on to the pitch. A streaker I"d never seen a streaker before, thought I was dreaming, at least it livened things up a bit.

Anybody remember this tale...

Many years ago, late 70s maybe, Wednesday were in the old 3rd division, not sure but I think they were playing PNE in front of about 11,000 fans (guesswork). I was stood at leppings lane end, it was dire, raining cold miserable, second half I was half a sleep.

Then a portly elderly gentleman pushed past me stark naked walked to the front climbed over the wall and ran on to the pitch. A streaker I"d never seen a streaker before, thought I was dreaming, at least it livened things up a bit.

If it was the same match then I was there ,I remember he kicked the ball of the centre spot ,the coppers just stood laughing as he ran of the pitch.

If it was the same match then I was there ,I remember he kicked the ball of the centre spot ,the coppers just stood laughing as he ran of the pitch.

I was there too and once seen never forgotten...:hihi::hihi:

ALAN58 - As a Blade I can't be <removed> to read all your post about Wednesday's changing fortunes but congratulations on 60 years a supporter. :)

Edited by nikki-red

Congratulations on avoiding death so far. I think I'd take 60 if I was offered it now.

Alan interesting thread...... 60yrs ago, I came from that era when opposing fans stood side by side, when the match finished we would shake hands and congratulate the winning team, oh how times have changed. I still hold them values today, well done the blades or well done the owls, and why not....... remember when we all had rattles, mine was a little tinny thing, but some of them were huge, I don"t know how the hell they managed to swing em round.

---------- Post added 18-04-2018 at 10:32 ----------

And I would just like to add, congratulations to our little neighbours Rotherham, love to see em back in the championship.

Alan interesting thread...... 60yrs ago, I came from that era when opposing fans stood side by side, when the match finished we would shake hands and congratulate the winning team, oh how times have changed. I still hold them values today, well done the blades or well done the owls, and why not....... remember when we all had rattles, mine was a little tinny thing, but some of them were huge, I don"t know how the hell they managed to swing em round.

---------- Post added 18-04-2018 at 10:32 ----------

And I would just like to add, congratulations to our little neighbours Rotherham, love to see em back in the championship.

Yes Padders, mine was a large wooden one; painted red and white, of course. Today it would be classed as an offensive weapon!

In those days at Bramall Lane there was no home and away end because at half time you could walk from behind one goal to the other, via the pavilion and on the way nip up to the scoreboard to make sure that the Owls were losing.:)

echo.

Must be around the 60 yr mark, the first floodlit match at Hillsboro.

I can remember being there, and looking up at the pylons, they were awesome, cant remember if there were 4 or 6. (guess 6). used to stand on the kop counting the bulbs ,think there were 48bulbs on each pylon. who did they play? once again the memory is blurred, I seem to think it was a Russian team (Moscow Dynamo?)