New Irish Bar for Sheffield.

Apparently, Sheffield has the best nightlife in the UK, according to the report & it's about to get even better(?).

I'm guessing that there will be a few places in Sheffield that will dispute that live Irish music doesn't already exist in Sheffield?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/new-irish-bar-heading-to-sheffield-city-centre-and-this-is-when-it-will-open-1-9114472

I thought the 'cod' Oirish bar phenomenon died out at the end of the last century?

"From bar hopping down Ecclesall Road to the clubs on West Street and Division Street, Sheffield is a guarenteed great night out."

Sheffield Star writers still not worked out how spellcheck works. Neither have the sub-editors.

I too thought the craze of 'pretend to be Irish while drinking in an establishment no one Irish would be seen dead in' had died off.

Another place I shall doubtless make efforts to avoid!

"From bar hopping down Ecclesall Road to the clubs on West Street and Division Street, Sheffield is a guarenteed great night out."

Sheffield Star writers still not worked out how spellcheck works. Neither have the sub-editors.

I too thought the craze of 'pretend to be Irish while drinking in an establishment no one Irish would be seen dead in' had died off.

Another place I shall doubtless make efforts to avoid!

I don't think the Star employs sub-editors any more.

I'm another one who thought the brief craze was over by the millennium - I suppose the owners think there must be a new generation of suckers to fleece.

When I first read this story my reactions included 'oh god the return of the plastic paddy theme pub' and 'wow, they are claiming to be the only one despite being so close to the Irish Triangle (Dog & Partridge, Fagans and Grapes)'.

If it is just a cheap theme job painting the bar green, nailing tat to the walls and serving Guinness then it probably will fail.

However from what I've read and been told elsewhere I will keep an open mind. It sounds like they are more going for the atmosphere of a pub with 'Irish Craic' - chilled out during the day with sport on TV and a simple food offering with bands on at night and a party atmosphere, similar to West Street Live. They are also spending a few quid on the refurbishment.

If they get the food, drinks and prices right then it could work - certainly an improvement on Huttons Bar anyway.

Anyone remember this one?

https://goo.gl/images/swidSc

O'Hagan's formally The Raven at the junction of Fitzwilliam St & West St.

Went in a few times in the mid 90's. It was funny watching the students believe the stuff written on the walls that this place was a genuine 'old' Irish boozer & bakery originating from the early 1800's.

Went in a few times in the mid 90's. It was funny watching the students believe the stuff written on the walls that this place was a genuine 'old' Irish boozer & bakery originating from the early 1800's.

Went in a couple of Fridays after work at around the same time. It had been the Hornblower after the Raven - which I remember doing black pudding on toast on darts nights back in the '70's.

Apparently, Sheffield has the best nightlife in the UK, according to the report & it's about to get even better(?).

I'm guessing that there will be a few places in Sheffield that will dispute that live Irish music doesn't already exist in Sheffield?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/new-irish-bar-heading-to-sheffield-city-centre-and-this-is-when-it-will-open-1-9114472

I thought the 'cod' Oirish bar phenomenon died out at the end of the last century?

What an awful era that was for pubs, truly terrible.

Guest makapaka

No one did that did they?

---------- Post added 16-04-2018 at 23:59 ----------

When I first read this story my reactions included 'oh god the return of the plastic paddy theme pub' and 'wow, they are claiming to be the only one despite being so close to the Irish Triangle (Dog & Partridge, Fagans and Grapes)'.

If it is just a cheap theme job painting the bar green, nailing tat to the walls and serving Guinness then it probably will fail.

However from what I've read and been told elsewhere I will keep an open mind. It sounds like they are more going for the atmosphere of a pub with 'Irish Craic' - chilled out during the day with sport on TV and a simple food offering with bands on at night and a party atmosphere, similar to West Street Live. They are also spending a few quid on the refurbishment.

If they get the food, drinks and prices right then it could work - certainly an improvement on Huttons Bar anyway.

I agree. See what it’s like first eh?

Look up the Old Bar Glaslough on Facebook to see just what a genuine irish village pub is really like. I've been in the bar many times and it's just great.

Fake, generic and aiming squarely at a towny audience. :rolleyes:

What could go wrong?

Any place serving Guinness Extra Cold (as this place almost certainly will, modus operandi: kill any remaining flavour so it appeals to people terrified of flavours who still want to feel Irish for half an hour) has no business calling itself an Irish bar, or even Irish-themed.

Go to Fagans for the live music. It's not an Irish pub but it's a legitimate folk music pub run by a couple who know what they're doing, and the kind of tasteful neighbourhood pub you actually get out in ROI instead of these horrendous cut and paste places.

Fake, generic and aiming squarely at a towny audience. :rolleyes:

What could go wrong?

Any place serving Guinness Extra Cold (as this place almost certainly will, modus operandi: kill any remaining flavour so it appeals to people terrified of flavours who still want to feel Irish for half an hour) has no business calling itself an Irish bar, or even Irish-themed.

Go to Fagans for the live music. It's not an Irish pub but it's a legitimate folk music pub run by a couple who know what they're doing, and the kind of tasteful neighbourhood pub you actually get out in ROI instead of these horrendous cut and paste places.

........better still go to "Flynns" aka the "Grapes" on Trippet Lane. as near to an Irish pub across the Irish sea as you could get!.........would never win the best decor prize like Fagans would not, but what real Irish pub would."Flynns is the nearest place to the real deal for miles! and Ann Flynn the best Irish Landlady around.

Having frequented Anne Flynn's pubs in Trippett Lane for a number of years now, I'll definitely say that she's the warmest, most hospitable owner I've ever had the pleasure to meet during my time as a resident and visitor to Sheffield!