Plans for 37 Storey tower to go on site of old NMB

Been following this development for a few weeks now, glad it's getting some publicity. I hope an investor comes forward as Sheffield is in dire need of new developments. This, along with the major works taking place in town, West Bar and by Bramall Lane over the next five or so years should act as a catalyst, bringing in much needed investment, infrastructure improvements and jobs for local people.

I think you have everything covered :)

na he missed brexit :hihi:

I expect the hotel would be busy.

I know there are loads around town now, but all involve a hill/a taxi/bit of a walk. Being bang next to the station will be a winner for business people, I would suspect.

So we'll have a 5 star hotel on the Central library site and now one at the old NMB. Ignoring London how many major cities in the UK can support two 5 star hotels?

'5 star hotel' in a press release just trips quite nicely off the tongue.

I think the Easy Hotel model in the old C&A (or Primark in new money) building is more of the type of hotel visitors to Sheffield will demand.

Next week the University of Sheffield is hosting a relatively modest conference. Contacts of mine that are attending have enquired about the best hotels around as there aren't many that meet the criteria of putting up professors and keynote speakers. Leopold and St. Pauls is about it.

There is most definitely a market for high-end hotels in Sheffield.

Will there be any provision for parking? I assume some of the people using a 4/5 star hotel as well as residents of the flats will have cars.

Guest makapaka
Will there be any provision for parking? I assume some of the people using a 4/5 star hotel as well as residents of the flats will have cars.

No - they’ll have to park their cars on the rail tracks.

Next week the University of Sheffield is hosting a relatively modest conference. Contacts of mine that are attending have enquired about the best hotels around as there aren't many that meet the criteria of putting up professors and keynote speakers. Leopold and St. Pauls is about it.

There is most definitely a market for high-end hotels in Sheffield.

Jury's Inn is perfectly reasonable as well, and the Novotel isn't terrible, although from the outside it looks rather drab.

My martial arts organisation runs a national competition here once a year and we find every year that hotel rooms are a little bit more sparse.

Last year we made the mistake of conflicting with a Phil Collins concert and we had people staying as far away as Chesterfield because there was nothing else available.

The St Pauls Tower is 32 storeys high, lets have some ambition and have buildings that have been thought about not just drab tower blocks lets have some innovative ideas. That's why I say let the people of Sheffield put some ideas forward, I am not saying design them but put forwards ideas that experts could perhaps build on if you excuse the pun. Look at these, I know not to everyones taste but they are different and not drab.

Portsmouth https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrP4k_Zuq9aTQUAZDpLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0ZTgxN3Q0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=portsmouth+tower+blocks&fr2=piv-web&fr=crmas#id=40&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fl7.alamy.com%2Fzooms%2F5a64eddfcf124a0caa1b68fa74e7982f%2Fnumber-1-gunwharf-quays-tower-skyscraper-building-portsmouth-hampshire-dxd991.jpg&action=click and these https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrP4k_Zuq9aTQUAZDpLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0ZTgxN3Q0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=portsmouth+tower+blocks&fr2=piv-web&fr=crmas#id=4&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fl7.alamy.com%2Fzooms%2F9ebfa1c648714fe4a1c1c29305cd93ef%2Fadmiralty-tower-portsmouth-e3nrra.jpg&action=click also these in Liverpool https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ7B1xu69a8WsAf0pNBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsZ29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcxNzAwNQRfcgMyBGFjdG4DY2xrBGJjawM5N2U1a24xY243YjdrJTI2YiUzRDQlMjZkJTNEa0h1TEpJaHJZSDFSanN5Q0RPa1RyRF92S3hRZVl1VnZWQ3MtJTI2cyUzRDg4JTI2aSUzRFNxZHVsMWNrMmxfOHZDcXE2TlFPBGNzcmNwdmlkA1RrQ3RqVEV3TGpLVHVMUzRXWE9zOUE1OU1pNHlPUUFBQUFEMTRhNGYEZnIDY3JtYXMEZnIyA3NhLWdwBGdwcmlkA0JUdXVyZ1Z5UXNtTUV1ai52RlBSV0EEbXRlc3RpZANudWxsBG5fc3VnZwMxMARvcmlnaW4DdWsuaW1hZ2VzLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDMjQEcXVlcnkDTGl2ZXJwb29sIHRhbGwgYnVpbGRpbmdzBHRfc3RtcAMxNTIxNDY2Mjg2BHZ0ZXN0aWQDbnVsbA--?gprid=BTuurgVyQsmMEuj.vFPRWA&pvid=TkCtjTEwLjKTuLS4WXOs9A59Mi4yOQAAAAD14a4f&p=Liverpool+tall+buildings&fr=crmas&fr2=sb-top-uk.images.search.yahoo.com&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt#id=42&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.constructionenquirer.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fovatus-600x414.jpg&action=click

Lets show we can do something different something that will make people look twice. The cheese grater is one of those buildings people love or hate but it got people talking.

I consider St Pauls Tower to be a disaster. A truly ugly building and I find the way it imposes itself on the Town Hall to be unacceptable. Not sure if this link will work, but its a view of the Town Hall from Leopold Street where the tower looms over roof of the Town Hall.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3812474,-1.4707488,3a,60y,152h,101.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1NqcK1EefTXXAp64I7UqLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This should have been a much much more carefully considered piece of architecture. The councillors who voted it through against the advice of the planners should hang their heads in shame.

I don't have a problem with a tower on the NMB site but I would worry about whether the finesse required to make a truly exceptional peice of Architecture would be forthcoming. The relative height is a cause for concern. Few buildings have such a wide impact as truly tall ones and they have to be very carefully considered. The universities have a good track record for the better end of Architecture, but I wonder if this will be in University control or if it will be developer led with all the race to the qualitative bottom that usually entails.

This building will be a massive impact, gateway piece of Architecture for Sheffield. It must be exceptional in its quality. The image in the article doesn't speak to me of such exceptionalism.

Jury's Inn is perfectly reasonable as well, and the Novotel isn't terrible, although from the outside it looks rather drab.

Jury's inn and Novotel are definitely not high end hotels, not by a long shot.

I consider St Pauls Tower to be a disaster. A truly ugly building and I find the way it imposes itself on the Town Hall to be unacceptable. Not sure if this link will work, but its a view of the Town Hall from Leopold Street where the tower looms over roof of the Town Hall.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3812474,-1.4707488,3a,60y,152h,101.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1NqcK1EefTXXAp64I7UqLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This should have been a much much more carefully considered piece of architecture. The councillors who voted it through against the advice of the planners should hang their heads in shame.

I don't have a problem with a tower on the NMB site but I would worry about whether the finesse required to make a truly exceptional peice of Architecture would be forthcoming. The relative height is a cause for concern. Few buildings have such a wide impact as truly tall ones and they have to be very carefully considered. The universities have a good track record for the better end of Architecture, but I wonder if this will be in University control or if it will be developer led with all the race to the qualitative bottom that usually entails.

This building will be a massive impact, gateway piece of Architecture for Sheffield. It must be exceptional in its quality. The image in the article doesn't speak to me of such exceptionalism.

cough *The Diamond* cough.

Shortlisted for the Carbuncle Cup in 2016, and a truly ghastly piece of architecture.

I have no problems with this tower though. Maybe Hallam University have higher standards.

i quite like The Diamond...

i like the way that the ridges which form the diamonds, are of a similar colour., form, and scale to the vertical stone pillars/columns within the windows of the hospital and church either side of it.

i do think it's important this this area of sheffield is planned with consideration*. 37 storeys does seem a little out of place...

*among other things, 37 storeys would mean ... at least 1500 people needing transport at the start/end of each day. SCC is putting all it's transport eggs in the more-and-more cars basket. so that's another 500+ cars on the ring road at rush hour.

so we'll need a 37 storey car park built next door...