Old Town Hall campaign

Ultimately I don't think it matters what use this buiing is put to, as long as it's a good one and the structure and facade that matters is sympathetically restored. It's about time lot's of these nice old buildings around town, like the old Post Office, were given some love. They may even attract some visitors to the city.

It's criminal that a beautiful building like this is just left to decay. It would make an excellent visitors centre or vintage shopping centre. I personally wouldn't like to see it turned into flats, but if that was the only option would rather that happen than see it destroyed. Too many beautiful buildings in Sheffield have been demolished.

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 11:27 ----------

Interesting film MrsMozzy thank you for sharing

I agree, but I think at least part of it should be a museum. I know I for one would like to have a look around it.

I agree, but I think at least part of it should be a museum. I know I for one would like to have a look around it.

A museum would be fantastic, especially if the original courtrooms could be restored.

how can we get involved? id be quite interested.

You can help in a number of ways. Firstly just by being a named supporter. Secondly by becoming a Friend and helping with events, putting out publicity, and helping fundraise or even be a committee member. We are a very small group though getting considerably bigger by the minute.

We also welcome ideas on the use of the building as I think it is good to get as many ideas as possible on this.

As it stands it is complicated. The Council cannot legally just compulsory purchase they have to serve a notice on the owners to make repairs. The owner could at that point offer to sell to the Council. If the owner wants to be awkward they can ignore the notice. The Council can then move in and make repairs and send them the bill. This is likely to be a pretty big bill. If they do not pay it within a certain time the Council then has the right to compulsory purchase.

Re making offices apartments etc there are some problems there in that the court furniture is listed too so any scheme will mean the developer will have to work round this. However there are experts who have dealt with similar big projects. We are not closing doors on any solution that would protect the building. It is complex and probably why most wise developers wouldn't touch it with a bargepole and why present developer has got themselves stuck. I think that they were hoping the Castlegate Development would have been further along by now and that the value of the building would go up and then they could sell. I doubt this would ever have given them much of a profit Sheffield property prices are not like London and the amount of work it would need to be done to turn it into apartments would only work if you could afford to not make a profit for a while.

If we are so keen to attract visitors to the city via pulling the market down and making an inner city park then surely the Ken Hawley tool collection could be housed in this building to show these people the skills that made Sheffield a great powerhouse of the country.Just an idea.

We would have been better served by saving the whole area inc the Markets.

An area that has been used for meeting and trading for a thousand years now destroyed by stone sniffers.

The old markets were a magnet for druggies and wino`s who used it as a hangout whilst waiting for that cesspit of a pub The Cannon to open for the day .

The sooner the whole market building is demolished , the better.

It's criminal that a beautiful building like this is just left to decay. It would make an excellent visitors centre or vintage shopping centre. I personally wouldn't like to see it turned into flats, but if that was the only option would rather that happen than see it destroyed. Too many beautiful buildings in Sheffield have been demolished.

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 11:27 ----------

Interesting film MrsMozzy thank you for sharing

i walk past his twice a day and have always thought it a crying shame to be left in it's current state. if you restore it and sand blast away the grime from the exterior it was look magnificent and brighten up the drab area.

i also agree that it would be a travesty to turn this into flats or appartments etc, god knows there are enough of them in the city centre. A visitors center all about the local history and heritage and what the area has to offer would be a fantastic idea bringing in people and revenues streams to the city.

I like that idea.

Nice idea but Hawley collection is best where it is I think at Kelham Island. Other suggestions were a Museum of Crime and Punishment, a Story of Sheffield Museum. A Performance space and rehearsal rooms, Mixture of retail, restaurant, and museum. Art Gallery. Part of University using courts as lecture rooms.

I would expect offices would be the most logical use of the building considering the plans for the rest of the area are for exactly that. If the current owners are just going to sit on the asset then the council should arrange for a compulsory purchase and redevelopment inline with what's happening in the rest of the area, same goes for Castle House.

After the town hall moved it became the law courts, after the law courts moved the building appears to have been sold off. It's scandalous that a listed building was treated so shabbily by a government organisation, when a listed building is sold off it should be done so with an expressed purpose.

That's interesting. Thank you.

I think it would make a nice restaurant but also fancy the idea of it being used as a courtroom for mock trials, getting people of all ages involved in the law and local politics, etc. Does it have cells? Could it be used to give young people whilst in education a chance to see what it would be like standing in the dock, and being held in a cell, etc? Might be a good way of deterring young people from a life of crime? Would have appeal wider than Sheffield, I would have though, maybe?

The old markets were a magnet for druggies and wino`s who used it as a hangout whilst waiting for that cesspit of a pub The Cannon to open for the day .

The sooner the whole market building is demolished , the better.

The forum expert Rachman spouting up about poor people once again.

Just go and run or a cyclist or two .

A museum would be my suggestion as there isn't one in the city centre near transport links where visitors would see it. I am heartened to see that Valerie Bayliss is chairing the Friends group. I worked with her years ago and she's one very bright lady and a tough cookie when she has to be. If anyone can get a result here and save this magnificent building she's the very person.