Bought a phone now been blocked/barred

Hi All

I bought a Samsung s7 edge with box and all accessories about a month ago but now I think seller has blocked/barred it not registering the sim anymore, probably reported lost/stolen, can anything be done about it like report to Insurance Bureau because it could be fraud but I don't know as I have paid lots money for it any help or advice would be appreciated.

I would go too the house of the person you bought it off and ask for money back otherwise and if no joy then report the fraud to the police.

Obtaining money by deception is what it it...

Thanks got the address but the person who sold it was outside house not sure if it was correct house no or not but got contact no when rang her didn't answer but replied only by text so she denied selling me the phone so I would like to report because phone is nothing more then a brick

Unless the seller has issued a signed receipt, I am not sure how you can prove that the seller actually sold the phone to you.

It was stolen, you've been had.

You can still sell it on eBay for parts/spares though.

Thanks got the address but the person who sold it was outside house not sure if it was correct house no or not but got contact no when rang her didn't answer but replied only by text so she denied selling me the phone so I would like to report because phone is nothing more then a brick

I would Report it to the police and give them the contact number that she answered by text and the police should be able to trace her. You have done nothing wrong and if the owner of the phone denies it to the police then an id parade can be done.

The person who sold you that phone has obtained money by deception from you and most likely has reported the phone stolen to claim insurance which is fraud.

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 10:34 ----------

It may be that the seller has now reported it stolen to claim on their insurance which is fraud....

Most probably on contract. These scroats get phones on contract sell them report them stolen a few week later. The phone you spend hundreds on then gets blocked. They get a new phone sent from an insurance claim. Win win for them. They get your cash and a new phone. Same happened to me. But lucky for me it was just over £100 i lost and not many £100s.

Sorry but you haven't got the address. You have a house that the seller stood outside of. Anyone can do that to a house.

Unless they come to the door and open it, then it's dodgy. Ask them to use the loo and if they refuse it's not their house, walk away etc..

This doesn't help now of course - as others have said all you can really do is take it to the police tell them what's happened and see if you can get them to do anything. Technically speaking you shouldn't sell the phone on for parts as you can leave yourself liable for handling stolen goods although that's an unlikely consequence TBH.

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 10:40 ----------

It may be that the seller has now reported it stolen to claim on their insurance which is fraud....

May be? I'd assume that's almost certain myself... the scam is an old one.

As bad as it sounds I can't see the police lifting a finger to do anything over it.

Most likely they'll take the phone and write a few notes.

You have no signed contract of sale, you have no proof of transfer of money, no address for the 'seller'.

No actual proof of any crime being committed, other than you standing there with a phone that has been reported stolen/lost.

I doubt if they could do that as it would be classed as selling on stolen goods and handling stolen property

I doubt if they could do that as it would be classed as selling on stolen goods and handling stolen property

There are quite a few like that on eBay, although technically you shouldn't you also won't find anyone to stop you.

The police have much better things to be doing than trawling eBay looking for people who are selling a phone that may have been stolen or lost.

You bought a phone costing hundreds, stood on the street outside a house...that alone should have started the warning bells ringing.

With no proof, dont be surprised if the seller tries saying you must be the person that stole it !