Collective stupidity

El Cid,

The quiz is from the link (eu).

I wouldn't dream of labelling any of the contributors to this thread as "stupid".

I posted it to contribute to the discussion.

I have nothing but respect for the intelligence of the contributors.

The Barnsley/Moon posts had me in stitches.

El Cid,

The quiz is from the link (eu).

I wouldn't dream of labelling any of the contributors to this thread as "stupid".

I posted it to contribute to the discussion.

I have nothing but respect for the intelligence of the contributors.

The Barnsley/Moon posts had me in stitches.

Hmmm... :huh:

It's not very nice for anyone to be labelled "stupid"...

... so, as the proud owner of a NVQ (level 1) in "Wheelie Bin Identification And Their Place In Society", I just thought I'd better contribute to this thread in order to gain a bit of respect and to clear-up any misconceptions anyone may have as to the level of my intelligence. :roll:

I just thought I'd better contribute to this thread in order to gain a bit of respect and to clear-up any misconceptions anyone may have as to the level of my intelligence. :roll:

I have written all my answers to the quiz on a piece of paper, just waiting for the answers. I will be disappointed with anything less than 8 ;)

Are you a climate change expert?

Multiple Choice Quiz :

1 By how much has the EU committed to cut its greenhouse gas emissions by 2020? A 20% below the 1990 level B 12% below the 1990 level C 17% below the 2005 level

2 Which of these gases contribute to global warming? A Oxygen B Methane C Argon

3 Which of the following is causing sea levels to rise? A Warming oceans B Heavy ships C Erosion of beaches

4 If you are going to visit family at the other end of the country, which is the ‘greenest’ way to travel there? A By car B By train C By plane

5 Which of these is not a renewable energy? A Geothermal power B Solar power C Coal power

6 Through what instrument does the EU limit greenhouse gas emissions from power stations and heavy industrial sites? A The Montreal Protocol B The European Timber Regulation C The EU Emissions Trading System

7 To reduce risks and the impacts of climate change, the international community has agreed to limit the increase in global temperature to below a certain level. What is this level? A 3°C above the temperature before the Industrial Revolution B 2 °C above the temperature before the Industrial Revolution C 4°C below the temperature when Leonardo da Vinci was born.

8 Which of the following does not release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere? A Forest fires B Deforestation C Carbon capture and storage .

9 What proportion of food produced globally is wasted every year? A 1/4 B 1/3 C 1/5 .

10 Which of the following is true? A It is too late to fix the climate B Everyone can do their bit to fight climate change C Climate change has entirely natural causes.

As far as living on the moon. Morgan got there before anybody else :

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=morgan+the+moon&rlz=1CAACAJ_enGB652GB652&oq=morgan+the+moon+&aqs=chrome..69i57.14003j0j4&sourceid

Answers to follow.

Source:

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/sites/clima/files/youth/docs/youth_magazine_en.pdf

You might have the answers to the questions, but do you have the answers to the problems? :confused:

Anna B,

With respect. What you've just written is rhetorical. Of course, I have the answers-I looked them up on the link. I'm just a lowly retired college teacher, so I'm in no position to offer up a panacea for solutions to the earth's climate problems.

I'm just interested in what is going on globally in the scientific/political community viz-a-viz climate change.

Benign dictatorships and moving to the moon are just bizarre.

Doing our own bit -as suggested in the link-is about all an ordinary citizen can do.

I'll post the answers later today.

Edited by petemcewan

You might have the answers to the questions, but do you have the answers to the problems? :confused:

The answers to the problems are quite easy, but getting people/politicians to do them if almost impossible unless you have a dictatorship.

The answers to the problems are quite easy, but getting people/politicians to do them if almost impossible unless you have a dictatorship.

Anybody got the answer to that, other than a dictatorship?

Answers:

1 A. 2 B. 3 A. 4 B. 5 C. 6 C. 7 B. 8 C. 9 B.

10 B.

---------- Post added 11-08-2018 at 15:55 ----------

Professor of Philosophy Firmin DeBrabander, Maryland Institute College of Art, has joined the growing list of greens who think “autocratic” governments like China are better climate custodians than Democracies.

The notion of liberal democracy is under attack from many directions. Some deep ecologists are quite prepared to see democracy trampled in favour of environmental prerequisites.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/08/the-conversation-dictatorships-are-better-climate-custodians-than-democracies/

Deep ecologists have always been a bit on the dodgy side.

Edited by petemcewan

Answers:

1 A. 2 B. 3 A. 4 B. 5 C. 6 C. 7 B. 8 C. 9 B. 10 B.

I got 9 1/2, I didnt realise you were just meant to choose one from question 2, I put Argon and Methane.

El Cid,

I got 9 . I put A and B for No.2.

You see, multiple choice questions are only supposed to have one unequivocally correct answer. The rest are supposed to be detractors and wrong.

However, during my career in FE, I witnessed multiple choice questions constructed where there was more than one correct answer. So I can appreciate why you went for two choices.

Argon greenhouse gas

Argon, an element found in relative abundance in the Earth's atmosphere, is not a greenhouse gas because, like oxygen, nitrogen and other gases, it is largely transparent to the wavelengths of light responsible for trapping heat

LONDON - A new survey showed that 45% of British people do not fully understand the consequences Brexit could have on the economy.

"On Brexit, only 42% of respondents report that they understand the main economic consequences, outweighed by the 45% reporting that they do not understand them," the report, created in collaboration with the Royal Economic Society showed.

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/ing-economics-network-brexit-economy-uk-2017-5/

I wonder what % understand the political consequences of remaining in the EU.

And what % couldn't care a toss of staying or leaving.