Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

Most of these bikes will end up chucked in rivers, sold for scrap or nicked I'd be willing to wager.

I give the scheme 6 months.

That's not what's happened in Manchester.

---------- Post added 10-01-2018 at 18:13 ----------

the app says they have to be parked off the highway and considerately? i am sure the council will have something to say and their insurers ? this one was half against a wall propped up with wheels halfway across the pavement which is for pedestrians.

So it was off the highway then, sounds like people could easily get past, you get cars parked on half the pavements in Sheffield, so a bike really isn't a problem.

Am I right in thinking you have to leave the bike within certain areas? i.e. - I couldn't pick one up in town, and ride it home to Woodseats?

If that's correct, the scheme is pretty useless to me, and many others, unless we want to paddle around town a bit!

Edited by paula4sheff

I saw three leaned up to a wall near park square last night and this evening when i went past the rack opposite the station there was just one of the older bikes there.But i saw somebody riding one of the yellow ones later on.Being a bit cynical i do wonder how many will end up in the canal.

I've seen a few of them whilst out and about today - they appeared outside Zest while I was in a meeting, then there were lots outside Pond's Forge tonight!

They seem much lighter than the blue ones. Lets hope the gearing and the brakes are better...

Maybe I've not thought this through and am missing something but it occurs to me that you could pick one up, ride it somewhere to do some shopping, for example, (and end your journey so you're not still paying for it), but whilst you're in the store another user comes and picks it up, you're left with no transport back from where you've ridden it to!

I suppose you could not end the ride and lock it up ready to use to go home again, but that means you'd have to take your own lock, reducing the convenience somewhat.

What about cycle helmets ? .... I presume you have to provide your own if you want to wear one.

Yes, exactly.

---------- Post added 10-01-2018 at 21:11 ----------

Am I right in thinking you have to leave the bike within certain areas? i.e. - I couldn't pick one up in town, and ride it home to Woodseats?

If that's correct, the scheme is pretty useless to me, and many others, unless we want to paddle around town a bit!

You can check the geofencing location using the app, it doesn't go far enough for me, stops 1km short of getting home at the top of Dixon Road.

Yes, exactly.

---------- Post added 10-01-2018 at 21:11 ----------

You can check the geofencing location using the app, it doesn't go far enough for me, stops 1km short of getting home at the top of Dixon Road.

Right. Absolutely useless to me then. As it will be to a huge amount of people in Sheffield. Marvelous!

Talking of bikes just being thrown around on pavements reminded me of when I used to cycle as a kid.

We were shown a method of parking on the road at the kerb edge - wheels parallel to the kerb, bike leaning slightly towards the footpath, with left pedal moved round so that the pedal itself rested on top of the kerb stone....and there it was.

"Parked" and upright.

Haven't seen it done in years.

data tonight...walked up to top of Fir street to find nearest one (google probably knows this) rode to Closed Shop (probably don't know what I bought as I used cash rather than google pay), rode back to Gerry's bakers. Left it for next punter. Solid tyres not much fun on Heavygate

Out of interest, are these things insured?

Are the riders?

Out of interest, are these things insured?

Are the riders?

I'm sure the bikes will be covered by insurance for loss.. .that is Ofo's interest. Their FAQs state that liability cover is in place for accidents.