The Linux Thread

I put Linux Mint on some older hardware and it ran ok. It was on a 2011/12 Intel Atom D2700. I'd downloaded the OS for a Z87 test machine I have so it was the latest x64 release. Maybe the 32bit would run better?

I put Linux Mint on some older hardware and it ran ok. It was on a 2011/12 Intel Atom D2700. I'd downloaded the OS for a Z87 test machine I have so it was the latest x64 release. Maybe the 32bit would run better?

Hi zach,

I think this article/thread may shed some light?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/325554-28-atom-d2700-cedar-trail

Hi swarfendor43

I ended up on a wiki page after following links from the linux mint site. As your link says, it has the capability if enabled... or that's the way I read it.

As it's an older machine I had a good read on which version and I think I'll try x64 but MATE or Xfce. Depending on the results, I may then go x86. It will never be a power house but worth a bit of trial and error time.

Mint is up and running well on the Z87/i5/16GB/750ti. A few niggles during the setup but nothing serious. All my usual software found and installed ok and it's now using the shares from the Windows server. I don't think it will become my main OS but it's good to see other options and how it's got much better in the last few years.

Well I have been running the puppy disk on my old dell for 12 hours and all that is happening is that lots of downloads that need prompting keep on popping up they have read outs such as PUPPY LINUX 7.1 5 or 7.1 3 and so on but no sign of any start up page .

Oh and I got a photo of a puppy , have I bought one.

Out of curiosity, where did you purchase the disk from? Also do you have the original windows disks that came with the Dell? You could download that sysinternals program to your current machine then copy it across to the old windows to run and see what the processor capabilities are. ;)

Out of curiosity, where did you purchase the disk from? Also do you have the original windows disks that came with the Dell? You could download that sysinternals program to your current machine then copy it across to the old windows to run and see what the processor capabilities are. ;)

I just purchased the disk from Ebay .

Hi Albert,

Just found this which may shed some light on the matter as I do not know the full specs of your Dell notebook:

"To run this Linux distro, you can use quite the meager hardware. For instance, the minimum requirements are a 1GHz processor and a mere 768MB of RAM! The Puppylinux team recommends at least a 1.6GHz CPU and 1GB of memory for the best experience, however."

Taken from here: https://betanews.com/2017/12/05/puppylinux-75-xenialpup/

Hi Albert,

Just found this which may shed some light on the matter as I do not know the full specs of your Dell notebook:

"To run this Linux distro, you can use quite the meager hardware. For instance, the minimum requirements are a 1GHz processor and a mere 768MB of RAM! The Puppylinux team recommends at least a 1.6GHz CPU and 1GB of memory for the best experience, however."

Taken from here: https://betanews.com/2017/12/05/puppylinux-75-xenialpup/

Cheers I will keep trying its very interesting and testing for a non technical messer like me :)