Does anyone remember Eastcliffe children's home?

I was in the eastcliffe children's home for a while and I remember most of the staff especially Glen

by any chance you don't know when it shut down because I am writing a book and I'm using Eastcliffe as the home, Social services won't tell me.

if you go on to the Sheffield Social Services website look for "Freedom of Information" and make a request for what year Eastcliffe was shut down. They then have 20 working days to either, give you an answer or, to tell you why they will not provide one. If they do not provide one then get back to me. Maybe - can't promise, I can help.

Hi All, I was in the flats at Eastcliffe for about a year in 1979 ish, I arrived there after a long term foster placement breakdown; I did however manage to do A levels whilst there at High Storrs School and left Eastcliffe having repaired my relationship with the long term foster family. I went onto University in Leeds and am now a University lecturer. Prior to Eastcliffe I moved through 16 or 17 foster homes and had a short spell at Todwick Grange childrens home. I was born on the Manor.

For other ‘care leavers’ you may like to look at careleavers.com for help and support (I am not associated with this other than being a member). I would be interested to talk to care leavers from around this time as part of some research that I lead into looked after young people. JC.

i used to be in eastcliffe early 80s

---------- Post added 11-06-2013 at 13:22 ----------

i used to go down the national coach garage to get tea and coffee and snacks after we were suposed to be in bed

lo i used to go to the bus depot for hot chocolate i was in eastcliffe in 1982-83

Hi partypixie. a little off topic but do you also have an aunt called valerie corker.

if so my uncle would like to know if she knows him from a while ago. his name is keith milbourne.

Hi can anyone help me out at all...I am looking for anyone who remembers an Anthony Higgins... He was in care in sheffield but I am not sure which childrens home he was in...

I remember this one as my cousin was in here in early 80's deborah taylor.. she had her first child in the supoported accomodation flats.

Anthony was born in 1965 so it would make him around 49 yrs old now..If anypne knew him from this care home or any other I would love to hear from you.. Reply here or messgae me at heavenmbmaa@hotmail.com

thank you sooo much

I am not sure if I remember it properly. Was there a skating rink a lot further down East Bank Road from Eastcliffe? Anyway, if it is the same place then I was there around '75/'76. It was two buildings. The bloke in charge, Brian Cadman, had a flat in one building and Liz, the next in charge, had a flat in the other. It was a mixed place and we each had our own bedroom. I remember some of the lads/lasses (but without surnames just in case....), there were two sisters, June & Julie, Dave, John. There was a member of staff who was quite young and intellectual who we called Bamber (after Bamber Gascoigne from the original University Challenge). Does anyone remember it like that or was I in a completely different place in Sheffield?

Yes that's rite good days for me as I had just spent 3ys in a approve school it was paradise for me there's was Stewart to still friends today brill fellow cadman getting into skates every nite by the lift anyone remember that another lad lad Steve this is John here from the seventies there was another few I can recall roger gill love to see you all fen st gang good times learnt all the needs to live there cook to clean shoes ect but when left to enter the real world in my bedsit what a lonely and happy time at the same time I went back see cadman did a Rodney dell boy on me John you don't leave here anymore approve school made me a man eastcliffe gave me love good times

---------- Post added 26-03-2015 at 14:00 ----------

Yes I was there have tried to tell you but not showing do it again I was there when first opens there was Julie June sisters Stewart my friend today roger he's now in charge of a home there was Steve machanic Dave hippy gill mr gadman in charge brill fellow give me freedom and hope bamber too good chess player I think Liz was staff learnt the way of life in those flats how cook iron clean ect did a Rodney dell boy when left having gone back there you don't live here no more I here mr cadman say ha that was it end of a brill chapter in my life I also remember a lass Sharon who wasn't from the flats but use hang around with us all ice rink and Samantha's was the in places me Stewart gill had our first pint in olive grove bought ten cigs not one of us smoke good times

Yes, I remember Eastcliffe well, I was one of the first kids to live there. Moved from Shirecliffe house to go to Eastcliffe, and remember a lot of the staff and kids who were there at the time. It was a real adolescent learning curve growing up there and I was there for nearly 3 years. Can remember it like it was yesterday. A mixture of happy/unhappy days ,I don't regret or wish for anything different. That's just how life takes you. Could go on about this all day !. Remember Brian Cadman and his dog ( a chow) Changa. Also his Deputy Liz ( a proper Geordie lass ! ) Staff - Paddy (with the big sideburns ! ) Bamber, Pete and Chris McClusky (used to like Chris she was nice-get in touch if you read this Chris ! ) Derrick -went on a holiday to France and came back with a gorgeous girl friend who he went on to Marry, Bruce( the Canadian ) Dave. Kids - June and Julie (sisters) Cheryl, Mary, Dave (thought he was king pin !) Roger, Jill (very petite ) Michael (used to cling to Liz a lot ) John to name but a few. Hope to hear more from any other Eastcliffers Staff and Kids !. Cheers, Steve (the Mechanic )

---------- Post added 25-09-2018 at 12:09 ----------

Yes, I remember Eastcliffe well, I was one of the first kids to live there. Moved from Shirecliffe house to go to Eastcliffe, and remember a lot of the staff and kids who were there at the time. It was a real adolescent learning curve growing up there and I was there for nearly 3 years. Can remember it like it was yesterday. A mixture of happy/unhappy days ,I don't regret or wish for anything different. That's just how life takes you. Could go on about this all day !. Remember Brian Cadman and his dog ( a chow) Changa. Also his Deputy Liz ( a proper Geordie lass ! ) Staff - Paddy (with the big sideburns ! ) Bamber, Pete and Chris McClusky (used to like Chris she was nice-get in touch if you read this Chris ! ) Derrick -went on a holiday to France and came back with a geogeous girl friend who he went on to Marry, Bruce( the Canadian ) Dave. Kids - June and Julie (sisters) Cheryl, Mary, Dave (thought he was king pin !) Roger, Jill (very petite ) Michael (used to cling to Liz a lot ) John to name but a few. Hope to hear more from any other Eastcliffers Staff and Kids !. Cheers, Steve (the Mechanic )

Edited by 70smemories

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2005 at 02:50, tulip said:

I was in Eastcliffe in the early 80's. I can't remember the name of the road it was on but it was down the hill from Norfolk Park flats. Was anyone an 'Inmate' (it was great fun actually, not a prison by any stretch of the imagination!) or a staff member there?

I know it was demolished years ago but I'd love to know what happened to the people who lived/worked there.

A staff member called Peter Lumb (we called him Plum) really helped my through a depressing time in my life.

i wz in eastcliff to in the 80s for a long time it wz on eastbank road I wz in the top building

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2005 at 02:50, tulip said:

I was in Eastcliffe in the early 80's. I can't remember the name of the road it was on but it was down the hill from Norfolk Park flats. Was anyone an 'Inmate' (it was great fun actually, not a prison by any stretch of the imagination!) or a staff member there?

I know it was demolished years ago but I'd love to know what happened to the people who lived/worked there.

A staff member called Peter Lumb (we called him Plum) really helped my through a depressing time in my life.

I wz in there in the 80s to top building

I spent a lot of time in eastcliff to in the 80s top building moved there from Beaumont road kids home  cant realy remember a lot of staff only 4  I can think of which wz pete long legs ginger hair good runner lol  shela who worked in the office and bevon who wz my key worker some good memories and not not so good  :)   .

Was her name Betty she looked after flats at back of the homes.She was brilliant lady

I was in Eastcliffe I remember Nasreen a pakistani girl I mixed with there.Her sister was shaeda there dad took them and never brought them back