Cycle Lane past station

what? that makes no sense. I use the road in my car for which I need a licence and have one. I use the road on my bike for which i don't need a licence.

Yes and that's the point. When you have a license you can call the shots on ur bike.

---------- Post added 11-08-2018 at 16:07 ----------

Correct, nor should you.

You were concerned that some stretches of road were very busy. Banning motorists from those stretches would make them much less busy. Problem solved right. :hihi:

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 12:04 ----------

I expect that we're all road users, as pedestrians, on public transport, on bikes, perhaps on horses, maybe on other things. The vast majority don't require a license, nor insurance. Only dangerous vehicles require both of those, so that's motorized vehicles. Everything else uses the road without restriction.

In the hierarchy of road users bicycles aren't top priority. The roads are primarily for motorized vehicles hence the speed limits etc.

Yes and that's the point. When you have a license you can call the shots on ur bike.

---------- Post added 11-08-2018 at 16:07 ----------

In the hierarchy of road users bicycles aren't top priority. The roads are primarily for motorized vehicles hence the speed limits etc.

There is no hierarchy of road users, only in your head.

I'm just as entitled to use the roads on my bike as anyone else.

Edited by Bargepole23

There is no hierarchy of road users, only in your head.

I'm just as entitled to use the roads on my bike as anyone else.

pedestrian>motorist>cyclist>arrogant cyclist.

pedestrian>motorist>cyclist>arrogant cyclist.

Why have you put motorist > cyclist? Do motorists pay more to use the roads?

Why have you put motorist > cyclist? Do motorists pay more to use the roads?

Yes, motorists pay more.

Yes, motorists pay more.

This'll be good...I'm looking forward to the explanation. See if you can manage it without mentioning 'road tax'.

Yes, motorists pay more.

Why have you put Pedestrians>motorists then, that's certainly not down to the expensive pedestrian tax is it...

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 07:32 ----------

The fact that to use a motorised vehicle you have to get a license and pay excise duty, that it's restricted in top speed and a whole host of other laws would rather suggest to me that the car is the lowest priority road vehicle.

Even buses and taxis get to do things that the average car can't.

Cycles and pedestrians however are clearly the highest priority, no need for a license, no VED, no MOT, no speed limits, dedicated lanes, they can even go where cars aren't allowed, bridleways and footpaths for example.

Parking is also free you know, and my cycle to work in 10 mins time won't cost me anything in fuel!

This'll be good...I'm looking forward to the explanation. See if you can manage it without mentioning 'road tax'.

you can call it what you want............. you can call a pig betty but its still a pig.

truth of the matter is most people will contine to call VED (thats Vehicle Excise Duty) road tax.

and do an internet search for road tax and you will be offered lots of suggestions using that exact phrase.

by opting to use a motorised vehicle on the public roads you incur taxes that rest of the population do not.

you still have to pay road tax on sucha vehicle for the time its not on the road, which is really extracting the urine

most motorised road users pay road tax and also very heavy taxes for their use of the fuel they need. pedalists are free loaders in that sense. there is no reasonable denial of that possible.

also many of the financial costs (if not all) of running a motor vehicle on the road include other taxes which are generally far higher than any taxes paid to the state by pedalists.

Not entirely true is it. You can use a low emissions vehicle and it's zero rated for VED, much like cycles.

VED goes to central government of course, it's not hypothecated for road use, and anyway, like most cyclists I pay VED on a car that stays at home when I use my bike, so not only am I paying your 'tax', I'm also reducing congestion and pollution. I'd actually like a refund on my VED for everytime I choose to cycle.

Free loaders in the sense that they don't have to buy fuel or pay an excise duty for which they would be zero rated if not negatively rated. You couldn't make this stuff up, you're hilarious.

I do like how you finish with the implicit assumption that cyclists don't have cars, I have 2, I still have to pay VED, insurance, MOT, etc, I'm doing you a favour whenever I use my bike, you should be thanking me.

Oh, for what it's worth, cyclists on average pay a higher rate of tax than motorists...

fill;

it's pretty simple, the roads are free to use.

even more than that, we all have a right to use them.

you're allowed to buy cars that have a VED charge of zero. are they also 'freeloaders' ...?

you can call it what you want............. you can call a pig betty but its still a pig.

truth of the matter is most people will contine to call VED (thats Vehicle Excise Duty) road tax.

and do an internet search for road tax and you will be offered lots of suggestions using that exact phrase.

by opting to use a motorised vehicle on the public roads you incur taxes that rest of the population do not.

you still have to pay road tax on sucha vehicle for the time its not on the road, which is really extracting the urine

most motorised road users pay road tax and also very heavy taxes for their use of the fuel they need. pedalists are free loaders in that sense. there is no reasonable denial of that possible.

also many of the financial costs (if not all) of running a motor vehicle on the road include other taxes which are generally far higher than any taxes paid to the state by pedalists.

The glaring hole in this argument, which has been said over and over, is that the majority of cyclists also drive so pay VED anyway.

Perhaps it would help you if you thought of VED of a kind of congestion tax?

The glaring hole in this argument, which has been said over and over, is that the majority of cyclists also drive so pay VED anyway.

that not going to work.... the hole in the argument is a hole in yours.

if i have a vehicle to use on the road i pay road tax whether its on the road or not and i have to do so for each vehicle i have no matter how many and that payment is for loads of time i'm not actually on the road with those vehicles

if you have a pedal cylcle regardless of how many other vehicles you have you dont pay road tax for a pedal cycle.

Perhaps it would help you if you thought of VED of a kind of congestion tax?

Now thats just silly..

why pay a congestion charge for each separate vehicle i own when i can only be out congesting with one vehicle at a time. ..