Farewell Tikka (Ian Wood)

I've just heard that Sheffield anarchist Tikka passed away last weekend. He's probably not well-known to anybody under 60 years old but I remember him well from the 60s and 70s.He was a good guy and a good friend.I'm not in Sheff. right now but should be back in about 10 days.If anybody knows about the funeral/memorial arrangements will you please post on this thread.Thank you very much.

Hi, yes Tikka passed away on the 14th July. He was my Uncle. Please let me know your connection and anything you want to share as I'm finding wonderful things about his life and can give you more details. We had a goodbye at the crematorium at the end of July I'm sorry you weren't here but lots of friends attended which was great comfort to us all.

This might seem pretty random...

Sometime in the 70s I attended the opening meeting of the "Sheffield Science Fiction Group" in an upstairs room of the then "West St Hotel".

Some of the attendees stood out somewhat, and as we passed round a sheet of paper to sign to say who we were, me and my mate Paul noted that 2 of the attendees had only written...

"Tikka"

and..

"Kerrigan"

While there was some other guy there with a weird lop sided haircut (hmmm) and me and a couple of my mates, and sundry people I knew from the various bookshops in town. The two people who stood out, and whom I have never forgotten, were the aforementioned "Tikka" and his mate.

Richard

Hi, this could quite possibly have been my uncle. He had a commune in the Hanover district and was an active anarchist.... didn't know he was into science fiction tho as he was a very factual man. There really was only one Tikka ( Buddhist name) in central Sheffield at that time! Thanks...interesting thought!

From what you have said I am 100% sure it was him.

He spent most of the meeting discussing what the aims of the group were with the guy who was assuming the "leadership".. and me and my mates used the terms "nebulous and amorphous" for years afterwards.

Richard

That sounds like him! Thank you for letting me know..Im finding out .lots of interesting things!

Cheers then!

Since I heard of his death I've searched, unsuccessfully, for a photograph I took of him performing his unique dance at the free end of year concert at the Students Union. Mighty Baby were on stage so that makes it around 1970. In the early seventies he used to attach himself to my group of friends when we were drinking in pubs around Broomspring Lane, Fitzwilliam St, Glossop Road. I think he enjoyed the conversation. He was always very direct and didn't suffer fools at all. I saw him only very occasionally after the late 70's but he was never any different. A sad loss. I hope there is some sort of permanent commemoration for him.

I've never seen my uncle dancing! And yes I would like to put some kind of dedication in his community or the Hanover once things have settled.

Thank you for your memory of him!

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 08:51 ----------

Also...if anyone out there has an involvement with the current Sheffield Anarchists I have memorabilia from the 70s of my uncles that I would like to donate. Please let me know.

I've never seen my uncle dancing! And yes I would like to put some kind of dedication in his community or the Hanover once things have settled.

Thank you for your memory of him!

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 08:51 ----------

Also...if anyone out there has an involvement with the current Sheffield Anarchists I have memorabilia from the 70s of my uncles that I would like to donate. Please let me know.

In most of the venues that Tikka attended the prevalent dance style was 'grooning' - see Neil in the Young ones for a variation. Tikka's style was one of his own, very much free expression.

That sounds about right!! Thank you !

I knew Tikka in the 70's he was a good friend of my sister. Lovely man. Very intelligent and a great conversationist. Sad news that he has passed. He will be fondly remembered by many.

That's great to know that you held him with high regard, Thank you.He was preparing a book on the archeology of south yorkshire. I found a bibliography and research too.