Edgar Allen Steelmakers and Engineers

I used to work in the Non-destructive Testing (N.D.T.) Department within the Research Department from 1958 to 1961, it was my first job. Dr. Edwin Gregory was the Chief Metallurgical Director who first interviewed me and to my surprise said "Whatever you do, don't work too hard!".

The Chief Physicist who was an expert on magnets, and also N.D.T., was Fred Hinsley.

One of the interesting jobs I was given was in the Shepcote Lane Track-work Department, they were drilling the holes ( for the bolts for the fish-plates)in the end of the rails and these were cracking up in service. My job was to measure how hot the rail was during drilling. this was done by taking the drillings and putting them into water and measuring the temperature rise caused by this.

This involved physics known as the "method of mixtures" which I had done at school for O level. I also worked on measuring the magnetic properties of steels.

Hello worked at Edgar Allen Foundry doing wages 1978 to close never a day when i did not want to go to work.

loved every day.Even the ride down Attercliffe common in a three wheeler and it wasnt

Dell boy. The pattern shop who stuck heels back on my shoes have last bit of steelmade

also remember furnace going up to Scotland.

My dad worked there as a pattern maker during the Sixties.

Worked in the "new tramway shop" on Shepcote Lane for a few months in 1977 where they finished the manganese castings they made in the foundry.

Some of the manganese castings were for heavily used and/or high speed turnouts and are still being used on the railway today. As well as BR, customers included the tramways in Toronto, Cairo, Hong Kong and Blackpool(one).

The "new tramway shop" was actually brand new.

Edgar Allen Foundry was the best part of my life I learned all about steelmaking and melting processes and every aspect of running a melting shop! What memories I have of all the good friends who were more like a family.

Edited by CF8M
grammar

CF8M....cast 316 Stainless?

Trying to remember the melting shop managers name for some years.Im sure it was Ray ??? somebody.

Sure is!

Ray Wrigley was the Manager and I was his assistant.

When Ray lost his son Stephen in a car accident things changed and I more or less took over from him. A very sad time. even then the writing was on the wall for the future of Edgars. Ray always said that whenever he was asked where in Sheffield did he work the answer was Meadowhall car park!

Thanks for that.Was your predecessor Keith Johnson who also worked with Ray?

It sure was. Keith left to work for Tommy Wards on the scrap side. He went from there to ELG-Haniel the stainless people in Templeborough and became a Director. I believe his son now works there. I ran into Keith again when I developed a new form of Stainless Steel PAK 450 and I needed some one in Europe to make it. Keith introduced me to Richard Carrs in Hillsborough. Small world in the metal game!

Edited by CF8M

A very small world indeed.

It was Richard W Carrs that then became Carrs Special Steels under Elg ownership.

Elg Recycling was also set up in Melbourne and run by a former colleague of Keith from Sheffield.Did you have any dealings with them?

Thanks for evoking memories.

Recycling Processes in Melbourne was run by a good friend of mine David Stewart. His main business was stainless steel scrap and other high alloy, mostly Nickel alloys. I had known David for many years and when I became Technical Director of Graham Campbell Ferrum I set up a Stainless and High alloy division which became very successful. I used to buy Nickel and other materials from David. Things like Cobalt, pure Molybdenum and Selenium I always paid less than the going rate!

David used to send 20 tonne containers of stainless scrap and Nickel alloys to ELG in Templeborough on a regular basis.

David eventually sold out to ELG and they became ELG Recycling, with Jim Smilie in charge with David (forgot surname) as deputy. I still kept buying material from them. David worked for Spartan Alloys in Sheffield at one time.

It's a small world indeed

All familiar names.

It would be Dave Beardsall who did come back to England after a while but I’m not sure that he didn’t return to Australia.

Interesting chat and all the best.I should be seeing Keith in the next month or so.