What year did the FA allow substitutes

I cannot remember when substitutes were allowed

Without checking I believe mid 60s,If I remember Peacock of Charlton was the 1st.

Without checking I believe mid 60s,If I remember Peacock of Charlton was the 1st.

I would guess 66/67 season - pretty sure it was after the World Cup in 66 and before we moved to Sheffield in September 67 - I can remember Keith Ripley coming on as sub for Doncaster Rovers in a numberless shirt (originally it didn't have to be a number 12).

I am sure they were used in 1967 but cannot remember them in 66, could be wrong though.

Save you looking , according to wikipedia, In the english leagues1965/66 for an injured player, 1967/8 for tactical reasons, although subs had been allowed in some games earlier.

Archie Gemmell (yes that one) being the first in a Scottish first class game in August 1966

Maybe the FL did it in 1966 but perhaps the FA did not.I seem to remember Vic Mobley getting hurt in the 1966 FA cup semi-final, Wednesday v Chelsea at Villa Park, no one came on for Vic, if my memory serves me correctly. I also seem to remember Graham Pugh being one of the first Wednesday subs to wear number 12 and I think that was 1967.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Maybe the FL did it in 1966 but perhaps the FA did not.I seem to remember Vic Mobley getting hurt in the 1966 FA cup semi-final, Wednesday v Chelsea at Villa Park, no one came on for Vic, if my memory serves me correctly.

Same in the 66 World Cup Finals - remember the Hungarian skipper, Kalman Meszoly, playing on with his arm in a sling in their 3-1 win over Brazil at Goodison.

The first season subs (or A sub)were allowed was the 1965-66 season for league games and 1966-67 season for the FA Cup. You are right, Keith Peacock of Charlton Athletic was the first sub in a league game (Aug.1965). In those days the sub -they only had one- could only replace an injured player and not as a tactical move.

---------- Post added 16-04-2018 at 13:57 ----------

Same in the 66 World Cup Finals - remember the Hungarian skipper, Kalman Meszoly, playing on with his arm in a sling in their 3-1 win over Brazil at Goodison.

I think was the game the Hungarian player Farcas, scored a cracker of a volley.

I,m sure the first Owls substitute to be used was John Quinn. It came up in a pub quiz one night was how i remember it.

I think was the game the Hungarian player Farcas, scored a cracker of a volley.

Correct - and if I remember it was Florian Albert who supplied the cross from the right. Bene had scored a very good early opener dribbling past a few defenders - Brazil equalised not too long after - Farkas scored that stunning volley in the 2nd half and not long after Meszoly scored from the spot (before his arm was in a sling).

I,m sure the first Owls substitute to be used was John Quinn. It came up in a pub quiz one night was how i remember it.

One of the first ones I remember seeing wearing #12 was Graham Pugh, but I am pretty sure Johnny Quinn was probably the first, as he was a very versatile guy.