Drivers fined for avoiding emergency vehicles.

Expected is the operative word here.Emergency vehicle drivers just don't do this,in fact some of them just turn them on in a situation like this,this can be after approaching quietly instead of having warning systems operating at all times,I have even seen them start hooting to try and get vehicles to move.

OK.

Instead of "expected", read required to do so by their operational instructions and guidelines. I have seen sirens switched off when stuck behind vehicles at red lights.

As per my update above, these instructions appear to be policy only in some regions, not national.

But I will still recommend you drive sensibly so that you will always have room to manoeuvre without breaking the law.

Edited by cgksheff

I think I'd take the hit and willingly break the law in a safe and appropriate manner, not so much for a police car, but certainly for an ambulance (could be a serious medial emergency for someone).

I'd challenge any ticket; and tell the judge I'd do exactly the same again in future.

We've had this discussion on here before(no surprise there).

It's a personal choice to break the law no matter what the circumstances.

I think I'd take the hit and willingly break the law in a safe and appropriate manner, not so much for a police car, but certainly for an ambulance (could be a serious medial emergency for someone).

I'd challenge any ticket; and tell the judge I'd do exactly the same again in future.

Ditto, always have done, always will do. Maybe that Ambulance is going to one of my family members - who knows?.

Angel1.

The number of people who lack common sense is astounding as shown by this thread. There are many many examples of people being fined for traffic violations because they were making way for the emergency services. However, it is dependent on individual cases if it is correct. If you were in this situation, all you need to do is to go through the appeals process and explain your case. With near certainty, your ticket will be rescinded.

This is no where near as outrageous as some are making it out to be.

If Puggie and Tzijlstra at posts 2and3 above really believe what they have put, I suggest that the next time they are stuck at red lights and an emergency vehicle comes behind them with siren blaring and lights flashing,they just stay there until the lights change to green and see what happens.They will soon find out they will be expected to break the law.

Will we? Are you an ambulance driver? Because if you are, your comment here probably means you should be sacked on the spot.

Emergency services take road safety of other road-users very seriously and so should you.

I wish that drivers wouldn't automatically stop and freeze when they see a blue light.

The number of times I've been sat at green traffic lights whilst everyone tries to move to the side for an ambulance. Just drive through the now green lights, and then slow/stop where there's actually some room!

Agreed. Especially on dual carriageways! Just move into the left hand lane and let the emergency vehicle pass on the right - you don't always need to stop...

I have got used to a practice of leaving space between me and the vehicle in front or the solid line. This is to give me chance to manoeuvre should the need arise.

I've always stopped a little bit short, it gives you space to move over for emergency vehicles and for filtering cyclists and motorbike riders :)

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

My driving instructor always told me that I should be able to see tyres and tarmac. It leaves me a bit of space in front which is safer if the car in front rolls back, but also enables some manoeuvring if I need to move over.

May be the police car would be going to a serious incident involving the safety of lots of folk.

Bearing in mind if someone calls 999 because they are going to harm themselves using a weapon or throw them self from height it will be police attending first!

What about a fire engine, would you move over for them?

Not being obtuse, just wondering your reasoning.

I've always stopped a little bit short, it gives you space to move over for emergency vehicles and for filtering cyclists and motorbike riders :)

It's called a safety gap and is good practice at all times. It used to be covered in driving lessons, don't know about nowadays.

May be the police car would be going to a serious incident involving the safety of lots of folk.

Bearing in mind if someone calls 999 because they are going to harm themselves using a weapon or throw them self from height it will be police attending first!

What about a fire engine, would you move over for them?

Not being obtuse, just wondering your reasoning.

Yeah, I think a fire engine more so than a police car.

I guess to my mind; I just don't associate a police car with blue lights on, with 'someone's life is on the line'. With an ambulance though, I would imagine there's a good chance that could be the case.