Wardsend Cemetery Riots 1862

Possible explanation is that like in other churches and cemeteries, once grave-yards were full they simply dug up the remains, placed them together in a large hole and began the burying process all over again. If the cemetery was privately owned, this is the most plasuible explanation. There was a law which stated that graves had to be three feet, centre to centre, away from each other. Private cemeteries always disregarded that and placed them even closer. Churches were as guilty as anyone when it came to digging up and re-burying, but I thought that procedure stopped around the 17th century or earlier.

Burial grounds meant money to the privately owned cemeteries. The more they could cram in, the more money they were making.

Unfortunately not just a story but a true court account.

Sorry, I meant a good account written well, not to be mistaken for a fictional story. I know things like that happened in Sheffields past. Are these the same riots as the "Sheffield Riots" I have heard of?

Sorry, I meant a good account written well, not to be mistaken for a fictional story. I know things like that happened in Sheffields past. Are these the same riots as the "Sheffield Riots" I have heard of?

I presume you mean the Sheffield riots 1812,

a quick google will bring them up

Sheffielders always enjoyed a good riot. There were also the Chartist Riots, and the riots against the Enclosures of the Commons. The original barracks in Sheffield, the wooden Horse Barracks, were built to house dragoons who previously had to be called from Nottingham and York to quell the rioters.