Grass Verge need cutting - Sheffield Council

The length of the grass in the central reservation on the Bochum Parkway is ridiculously high - especially if you are vertically challenged ! This is of particular concern when approaching roundabouts and trying to see over the grass when looking right to enter the roundabouts.

P.s., I have noticed that someone has cut the grass for a stretch of about 6 feet on the approach to the roundabout. SCC or someone with a social conscience I wonder ?

Edited by Daven

In Stannington they have been out all last week and today cutting the grass verges. Trouble is they don’t seem to sweep up afterwards.

I cut mine, it looks a lot better especially without all the grass left in the road and pavement after I have cleared up. I wonder if someone had an accident in wet conditions due to the grass being on the road what the council would say if they were sued.

In Stannington they have been out all last week and today cutting the grass verges. Trouble is they don’t seem to sweep up afterwards.

They have indeed and the verges (and the park) all look as though they've had a really bad haircut with uncut tufts everywhere. The standard is appalling and testament to all the cuts that have been made (pardon the pun).

Interesting that they are cutting them only at cross road type areas - so at top of Hallowmoor Road by the traffic lights but not down the rest or along. Dykes Hall Road right up to the Horse and Jockey is particularly bad at the moment.

Interesting that they are cutting them only at cross road type areas - so at top of Hallowmoor Road by the traffic lights but not down the rest or along. Dykes Hall Road right up to the Horse and Jockey is particularly bad at the moment.

on Ben Lane, someone seems to have mowed a strip on the pavement side of the verges :confused: no idea why... I suppose it might have been a homeowner, rather than the council chaps.

on Ben Lane, someone seems to have mowed a strip on the pavement side of the verges :confused: no idea why... I suppose it might have been a homeowner, rather than the council chaps.

Seems to be standard practice now , there is a biggish square of land near us ( 15x15 yrds) and all they have mown is a 1 yard strip round it

the council dont cut grass verges its done by Amey

I imagine it's a cost-saving measure. The council have introduced a number of "wildflower meadows" into the main parks. Basically, they can't afford (or won't provide the funds) to cut vast swathes of parks in the dubious name of wildflowers.

I believe general guidance on verges is to cut them where there is a need for safety/visibility but to cut less often to allow a benefit for wildlife/plants and reduce pollution.

Don't think I've ever heard so much sloblock!

The council actually believe that some people believe this :rant:

There is some truth in this, and I approve, the bee population is on the decline and something needs to be done help it improve. I've noticed some places that have been cut with a patch deliberately left overgrown.

There is some truth in this, and I approve, the bee population is on the decline and something needs to be done help it improve. I've noticed some places that have been cut with a patch deliberately left overgrown.

If there were actual wildflowers growing on the verges , then maybe I would agree with you but they are covered with dandelions , not exactly a shortage of them for the bees is there ?

Can only think as now they done our area (finally) they was doing it blindfolded other than that There Mower Blade is rusty lol

Spotted a sign yesterday in the grass verge on Bochum parkway (mostly obscured by the long grass!) stating that the grass was being left uncut for "wildlife management" I think the term was.....So I take it that the open grass areas either side of Greenhill parkway which are now more than a foot high will be part of this scheme as well + not cut?...