The Chinese Buffets in Sheffield thread- all discussion in here please

Someone must have been by now. Any good? How does it compare to Jumbo's and No1 Oriental? Thinking of going tonight.

Well...

We're going there tonight, so we will let you know as soon as we've sampled the grub/ atmosphere/ service lol. what it's like.

PT

Whereabouts on west street is it? Went to Jumbo at lunch cos we didn't know where to find wokmania...

Can you report wether they serve crispy duck or yuk sung as a starter please?

Thanking you... have a lovely evening!

Isn't it about time forum members when on a buffet testing week?

It's not too expensive and we could move around the tables Mad-Hatter's-Tea-Party style.

As for cripsy duck; I thinks its terrible. I just don't know what people like about it. Over-cooked meat and almost cooked flour sheets.

Originally posted by mrchinnery

As for cripsy duck; I thinks its terrible. I just don't know what people like about it. Over-cooked meat and almost cooked flour sheets.

Wash your mouth out! :o

It's orrible and not even Chinese.

Honest, it's not Chinese. They don't have have it in China.

Well, we went to Wokmania in the end last night and weren't disappointed. Slightly more expensive than Jumbo's, but the quality of the food was significantly better. Maybe not quite as much choice though, but certainly sufficent. Most of the dishes that are at Jumbo's are there. Free refillable soft drinks were a good idea.

For Veggies, not a great deal of choice. In terms of dessert, there's an ice cream machine and fruit. Overall, very impressed.

we might even have been there at the same time, lee!

I thought it was passable, although the rice was a dried mess...

the diet cola post mix ran out and ended up serving soda water.. Yuk!

true, the veggie selection was poor, but no matter where you go, unless it's specifically veggie, you will find a fairly poor ish selection if you are a vegetarian.

the leaflet said "fruit, jellies and ice cream for dessert", but all there was on offer were three types of fruit (apples bananas and oranges) and the ice cream with sprinkles

all in all not horrendous bad... staff fairly helpful, and polite.

Accessible premises, (better in that respect than no1 buffet) and the accessible facility itself was well spacious.

PT

the new one on west street....

anyone been? wots it like????

Looks really sleek, the chairs are big and comfy, they had TV screens showing Takeshi's Castle(!), they're not mardy about bringing you a jug of water, the air conditioning's great and the food's pretty tasty as well. Including whole fruit for after.

Go during lunch and it's a mere £5, or £4.50 if you're pretending to be a student.

Oh and there's free refills if you order a fizzy drink (no, not lager - more like diet coke etc).

ooooh sound sbetter than Jumbo already :D

The only thing I didn't like was the fact they automatically put a 10% tip on the bill, it would be nice to make the decision yourself, especially since they charged me 1.95 for a semi-cold latte and it's listed at 1.50 on the menu. Oh and the staff aren't quite with it yet, but it's all new to them so I guess they'll get better in time. Food was lovely tho, such a bargain at lunch time.