Rules for the gardens of council tenants

A friend of mine is a council tenant and she has recently received a letter which has been sent to all council tenants, saying that nothing in her garden must be allowed to grow to over 2 metres in height.

She is very upset about this as she has some shrubs that only flower when they get bigger than that.

The letter threatens eviction if the rule is not adhered to and my friend is very upset about it.

What do other people think about this?

Seems like total nonsense, who exactly is being paid to go around measuring the height of plants in council tenant gardens??

It might be a rule they try and use to evict problem tenants but I can't see someone being thrown out of their home for simply growing some flowering shrubs.

Thanks for that geared. I must admit that had occurred to me too.

theres several rules as I am sec of a big tara in lowedges,all gardens must be kept neat and also a silly rule in my opinion,

if you wish to plant a tree you must by there law contact them and they will visit and discuss where and which tree,then if form to give you permission or reject the idea,if passed call to check its been planted and the type of tree agreed,i would of thought with job cuts that this is not practicable and virtually imposible to police,but it is a labour council,also the same applys if you wish to cut off branchs or cut down a tree,seems back garden trees have more rights than main road trees,i personally think the whole lot is silly to say the least,i hope this clears the picture so to speak.

The council booklet looks fairly straightforward, is the OP a housing association tenant and it's that particular association that have odd rules??

I can't see the OP falling foul of the council regs:

36. You must keep your garden tidy, so that it does not become overgrown or spoil the look of the surrounding area

38. You must regularly trim hedges, bushes and shrubbery so that they do not exceed a height of two metres, become

overgrown, or cause an obstruction

39. You must not plant or cut down any tree without our permission

It's not just council or housing association tenants, a couple of years ago the Council sent out letters to houses in our area, saying anyone whose front garden Hedges and shrubs were encroaching the street by more than, I can't remember if it was 6 or. 12 inches would face action.

very few took any notice and nothing has happened to anyone since, even those that take over half the pavement or more, it's pretty toothless attempt by the council.

I'm suprised that the council don't fine and carry out the work, then charge back to the house owners the costs, it would be a simple way to raise money and improve better access for the public.

At a guess, maybe it's the few spoiling it for the many i.e. tenants who refuse to keep their gardens tidy. The rule might be to make it easier for the council to take action in certain cases as this makes it a bit more clear cut.

I cant see the point in most of this UNLESS theres someone to police it and I cant see anyone going round inspecting every council to see if its had a tree planted without permission or the back gardens being kept okay,unless a neighbour complains

I cant see the point in most of this UNLESS theres someone to police it and I cant see anyone going round inspecting every council to see if its had a tree planted without permission or the back gardens being kept okay,unless a neighbour complains

Even when people complain the council does very little to enforce things - we have 2 leylandii growing in the garden behind us that are higher than chimney height along with all sorts of self seeded sycamores, ash trees etc. Plus the carpets and rubbish hidden amongst it all. Once upon a time in the days of rent collectors going round to collect rents, tenants were fearful of being reported for a slightly overgrown hedge. Shame things have changed so much that people have littel respect or consideration for keeping their areas nice and tidy.

theres several rules as I am sec of a big tara in lowedges,all gardens must be kept neat and also a silly rule in my opinion,

if you wish to plant a tree you must by there law contact them and they will visit and discuss where and which tree,then if form to give you permission or reject the idea,if passed call to check its been planted and the type of tree agreed,i would of thought with job cuts that this is not practicable and virtually imposible to police,but it is a labour council,also the same applys if you wish to cut off branchs or cut down a tree,seems back garden trees have more rights than main road trees,i personally think the whole lot is silly to say the least,i hope this clears the picture so to speak.

No thats just a garbled mess of words, try a paragraph and correct grammar. Also the rules of housing are very clear regardless as to whether its a labour or lib dem council.

For a secretary of a TARA you seem extremely dense when it comes to the conditions of the tenants and residents you are elected to represent,its is perfectly acceptable to ask permission to plant a tree in a garden you do not own likewise to remove branches as failure to carry this out correctly can cause other issues.

do you really think that every tenant will contact the council to plant a tree?

do you think it can be implemented ?

surely there time could be better spent on more important things,its another labour idea that sounds good but wont work,like the 20mph on estates ,but no one to check it.

I fully understand the idea ,but it wont work,the cant even sort out cutting of grass and parking on grass land? they do a reasonable job ,but some ideas would only work if they had lots of staff and sorry but they don't have that luxury.