Winter weather thread 2017/2018

a lot of money must have been lost yesterday and last night by pubs, etc, with it being St Patricks Day.

Guest busdriver1
Seriously people..driving on summer tires on this weather?

Its more to do with the drivers than the tyres, they just help decent drivers. An idiot is an idiot no matter what tyres they are using.

M62 - Are highways england using some stock footage with current time or does this camera see into an alternate dimension>

http://roadca.ms/1263

I've just driven over it from Bury & it's clear. I only hit snowy roads when I arrived in Sheffield onto Abbeyday rd & Woodseats Rd. It does seem a lot worse here than over the Pennines.

Seriously people..driving on summer tires on this weather?

Meh, it isn't too difficult if you use your brain and realise you can indeed drive in a higher gear to increase traction ;)

We ended up the van last night without the winter tyres and we drove down from Teeside last night and we did ok - as did, I have to say, the highways agency, Didn't see any stranded vehicles until there was a queue of hgvs trying to get on the A57 from the A618 at Waleswood. It was a front drive van which helped. Wouldn't have fancied it in the sprinter.

It was more or less virgin snow in t'marsh at 4.30 in the morning. I wonder if that helped rather than driving on compacted ice.

I was walking around Graves park at 0600 hrs this morning with the dogs.

It was absolutely beautiful, fresh virgin snow and it was very quite and eerie.

The roads were a doddle as no one had been out to turn the snow to mush and navigated the hill on Gleadless Road twice with no problem whatsoever.

Lovely. Thanks for reminding us that there is another, rather wonderful side to this weather that we can all appreciate.

All buses in Sheffield currently suspended according to sypte website /twitter feed.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

No buses at all currently, First or Stagecoach. No purple trams, blue to Middlewood only not Malin Bridge, yellow route running.

The main Travel South Yorkshire site has crashed again but http://holding.travelsouthyorkshire.com is working

Yes, but buses on Ecclesall Road are now running to Hunters Bar roundabout at least (+ svc. 88 to Ecclesall- Knowle Lane).

For SYPTE, see https://twitter.com/FirstSouthYorks

Can anyone tell me, did SCC send the gritters out on Friday or Saturday, i couldn't believe how bad the roads were

Can anyone tell me, did SCC send the gritters out on Friday or Saturday, i couldn't believe how bad the roads were

I think they only gritted the roads Amey were planning to chop down trees on.

Semi-sarcasm

The gritters were out Saturday night/Sunday, then again from early Sunday morning.

I think they only gritted the roads Amey were planning to chop down trees on.

Semi-sarcasm

Oh you naughty naughty boy :hihi:

Pavements are lethal I've had to walk on the right hand side of the roads mostly. Still get the odd idiot drivers who don't slow down and give a bit of room sadly.