Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

I was in the same class as Kenny Page and I'm 56. If memory serves he joined the R.A.F

---------- Post added 02-12-2017 at 14:18 ----------

Something that I have always wondered about. When I was at Rainbow Forge I used to know a lad called Simon Slight. His dad owned the decorating shop on the Top Shops and was always considered a bit posh by us council house dwellers. He didn't go to Carter Lodge with the rest of us - just before we left Rainbow I remember him telling me that he was being sent to a 'posh' school by his dad. I have never heard anything about him from that day to this. Anyone know what became of him?

Used to go to St. John’s fisher primary school lived on spring water avenue in 1960s

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 64

It was approaching 1960 when the Zakes phratry arrived on Hackenthorpe, in N.E. Derbyshire. My first school was Rainbow Forge Infants, which was 5 minutes walk from our Corporation house, on Carter Lodge Drive. The school was quite nice, and I really liked the pond which had Goldfish and Lilypads with beautiful white flowers. We had a class photo taken at school, I wish I still had it. Does anybody have a copy?

When I reached Junior School age, I thought I would be going to Rainbow Forge Juniors. Luckily, I went to Birley Spa Juniors, which was a 15 minute or so walk higher up the estate.

At Senior School age I attended Carter Lodge School in 1965, but I left this school almost 3 months later when we Zakes’ moved up the hill to live at Newstead, lower Birley. We lived in a Vic Hallam house (pigeon hut) on Newstead Rise.

--

Rainbow Forge Infants

When I first arrived at this school the other children mentioned how I spoke differently to them. This was due to me having lived in other places with mi Dad being in the R.A.F. I quickly picked up the Hackenthorpian accent though. LOL. I liked the children and the teachers at Rainbow Forge. I wasn’t involved in any misdemeanours (didn’t get caught LOL) at this school, hence no punishments.

--

Birley Spa Juniors

Looking back, I treasured all pupils at Birley Spa, it was a great time, I walked up Birley Spa lane each morning and almost always met other pupils along the way…Patricia Millington and Denise Naylor (both Car Forge close), Julie Webster (Dyke Vale Avenue), and other such dolls. On being closer to school I saw other pupils approaching from the direction if Spa View Road. The cutest of them was Jean Sykes, who lived on Cotleigh Close. Jean looked like Elizabeth Taylor (address unknown) in the Cleopatra film, a Goddess and an Empress. Coming down Birley Spa Lane was Elaine Lawson. I liked that Elaine wore a different coloured hair band each day. I liked her teeth and also the way she kissed. The Lawson’s flitted to Torquay? Paignton? Area circa ’62-‘63. Kay Osborne was another cutie-pie coming down to school from Occupation Lane. I attended her 9th or 10th birthday party. Lucky her. LOL.

--

In school I was punished a few times during my time there. The headmaster, Mr. N. Rawlings gave me a good slippering on 2 occasions. Regardless, Mr Rawlings seemed to be a decent type.

Mr Williams gave my legs a slapping loads of times. Psychological warfare was his game, pillock! A twentieth Century Schizoid man. Two other lads in class also copped it big style from Williams.

Mr Wilson was another trunt. Wilson claimed to have a black-belt in Karate, and in Judo. He was left-handed, wore horn-rimmed specs, had a full, untidy beard, and the lower part of his nose was very wide with large nostrils. He was a strongly built bloke at just under 6-feet. It was important to him that we children understood he was in charge.

If any child wasn’t paying heed to what he was saying, Mr Wilson would head smartly to the child’s desk then raise his hand as if to chop (rabbit punch) them. He would di the chopping action but would stop about an inch from contact. Obviously, the child would cower or cringe.

I remember one day Terry Cosgrove or Danny Spokes (Dyke Vale?) Timothy Conroy (Springwater) Steven George (Car Forge) Nigel West (Cotleigh) and I mucking about. In a flash Mr Wilson was at my desk with hand raised ready to chop. I was caught unawares but managed to tilt my chair away from him and throw myself onto the floor. Wilson was glowering down at me with full anger in his eyes. I was really convinced he was going to ‘do’ me. I was about 10 or 11 years old.

The girls in class were not exempt from this treatment but they wisely paid full attention and behaved themselves some of us boys weren’t as clever as them girls. LOL.

Miss Morton, who had a face like a shrivelled apple, was nasty too, she was verbally venomous. She wore those Mrs Merton (on TV) type specs.

Miss North and Mr Auger were the kindest teachers in my opinion.

--

Carter Lodge School

I arrived at this school in September 1965. I already knew a fair amount of the new newcomers, who had been at Birley Spa Juniors. Others I knew, were children I was acquainted with from playing-out, adventuring on the estate and surrounding areas, evenings, week-ends and holiday times.

During the 10-12 weeks I spent at Carter Lodge, I managed to get into plenty of bother with some teachers. Mr. Croft, the headmaster, had the pleasure of caning me once. The deputy-head, Mr Rodgers, caned me on two occasions on me hands. Rodgers used full force, I remember him gritting his teeth. Mr. Kirk, the sports (games) master, slapped my legs a few times in the gym. I was in fear of Kirk, but strange as it may seem, it made me more determined to get further under his skin. I seem to recall Kirk had thrupenny-bit shaped framed specs, and his hair was a shock of grey, cut in military crew-cut fashion. My eldest brother had been a top-sportler at Carter Lodge, and I think Mt Kirk had expected me to be the same. “Tuff bobbar Kirkey, I perform when I wish to perform”!

Mr Fretwell, AKA ‘Noddy’ Fretwell, was another trottel. During a lesson he would slowly stroll (stalk) quiet-footed (a sign of a sneaky type) around the classroom, weaving his way between the desks. He would then approach from behind pupils busily writing in their exercise books. Fretwell would then silently appear over the shoulder of a pupil to read what he (pupil) had written. If ‘Noddy’ didn’t like what he read, or of the pupil had made a mistake, Fretwell would instantly punish him. Fretwell punished by clenching his fist with the middle-knuckle of his middle-finger, then wrap the unsuspecting pupil at the back (sometimes top) of the head, a surprise attack. Fretwell was also quick and adroit rapping pupils knuckles with a ruler. The Perspex rulers were ruddy painful.

Mr Morgan, the music teacher was a also a cruel sod (verbally) at times, but he was sometimes amusing. We pupils used to sing a song about him when he was out of earshot. To the tune of…Build a Bonfire (put the teachers on the top):

Henry Morgan plays the organ

And he plays it rather crammy

And his sisters’ got a pimple

In the middle of her <removed>.

Some other teachers names I recall at this moment are:

Mr Feinberg

Miss Gaunt

Miss Marsden

Mr Driscoll

Mr Pegg

Mr Loy

Mr Revel(l)

Who was the lad who got a garden-fork stuck in his foot during a rural science lesson?

Me Mum once worked as a cleaner at Mr Feinberg’s house. Who was his Missus, LOL.

--

At Newstead (Birley) I went to Birley County School (my favourite school). I attended this school for 2 ½ years until I was shown the door (gates). I had many canings and a few detentions at this school. I managed to get under the skins of 6 teachers:

Lines, Knox, Phypers, Fidler, Shimwell and Phipps. The lasses and the lads at Birley school were second(ary) to none.

My final school was Hurlfield Boys Comp (later mixed). I spent 1 ½ years at this school. I received a few canings at my time there from Mr Houdmont. My favourite teacher of all schools I attended taught here. Mr Keith Turton. He caned me twice. LOL. A wonderful bloke now sadly dead.

--

Looking back now I did enjoy my education. It was better than some had who came up the slum way, and it stuck to them, and it always will, Despite the veneer of a grammar school education at Thornbridge.

--

Some short memories of my Hackenthorpe times:

My favourite three girls were: Jean Cottam (Delves), Jean Sykes (Cotleigh) and Barbara Allen (Springwater). They were excellent examples of femininity.

Denudating gardens of fruit, and occasionally veg.

Girls teaching me a thing of two and me passing what I’d learned onto other girls. LOL.

A good few smashed windows…I now take this opportunity to apologise to the victims…not!

Two court cases at Renishaw House.

Policeman Disney didn’t have to Force (gerrit?) the issue but he did. A nasty trunt!

--

I was always good to people I liked, I’d do anything for them, but I despised most people who had authority, and those who thought they were better than others.

Edited by nikki-red

Sam Miguel: My family lived on delves road or close not sure which, the surname is Rice. Wonder if you know them?

My mum also lived on hackenthorpe closer to Birley tho; she was a Duncan.

---------- Post added 06-01-2018 at 11:48 ----------

[/color]I lived on east glade avenue went to birley senior school from 59 to 63 also went to the rock club great times my names PATrick Green my pals were Dave jones John mallender Tony Watson Pete Johnson from the birley. And more. I left in 68. Miss the place.

---------- Post added 09-01-2018 at 16:38 ----------

hello there, this one got the old memory cells working. did your dad live at 22 spa view drive? I seem to remember a brother derek? and a sister sylvia? I lived across the road in the mid 1950s.

Hi I think Silvia was in my class at birley seniors. Am I right.also there was Barbara Woodhouse and Brenda Grayson I think they all knocked about together could always have a laugh with those 3. Happy days.

Edited by Grabman
Add names

Keith

Glennis / Glenys

Heather

Kenneth

Hilary.

Turn the Page, new chapter. Is it novel to have 5 children?

Looking back now I did enjoy my education. It was better than some had who came up the slum way, and it stuck to them, and it always will, Despite the veneer of a grammar school education at Thornbridge.

I was always good to people I liked, I’d do anything for them, but I despised most people who had authority, and those who thought they were better than others.

Funny how Zakesy can't make a post without reference to Thornbridge. I think he has some kind of fetish for the green blazer or perhaps he secretly lusts over those glamorous, intelligent girls who were sadly out of his reach.

We didn't think ourselves better than others, it was you who put us on pedestals so that you had something to knock down. I don't blame you and Fewksey an' all the others for the hell you put us through, that's life, if it doesn't destroy you it makes you stronger. I can look back on my school days, just as you did (I went to Rainbow Forge too) with fond memories. I can sit back now, in the twilight of life and still smile at the wonderful privileged childhood I had in Sheffield.

One day, maybe, we could get together in the Plover or the Hogs Head, you with your pint of bitter and me with a Tom Collins and talk about old times. Now, that would be interesting!

Surely we can't let the council get away with selling out heritage assets from under our noses to private profitters? Not when there are alternatives...

https://www.change.org/p/13408180/u/23099247?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_campaign=394207&sfmc_tk=CNlkdL3A5VEvZ4QQaUjUPawcp8mQAVlRjLuq2gUm4Q%2fz945vw832VOCEOsAtCSd0&j=394207&sfmc_sub=145245508&l=32_HTML&u=64880815&mid=7259882&jb=1

Please sign and be a part of living history.

Surely we can't let the council get away with selling out heritage assets from under our noses to private profitters? Not when there are alternatives...

https://www.change.org/p/13408180/u/23099247?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_campaign=394207&sfmc_tk=CNlkdL3A5VEvZ4QQaUjUPawcp8mQAVlRjLuq2gUm4Q%2fz945vw832VOCEOsAtCSd0&j=394207&sfmc_sub=145245508&l=32_HTML&u=64880815&mid=7259882&jb=1

Signed but expecting nothing from the clowns than run this great City :(

signed..........

------------------------------------------------------

Signed and brought to the attention of fellow members of the Sheffield History site.

Anyone remember a David Greetham from Hackenthorpe? He would have lived there in the 70's but later moved down south. He was in his 20's then and had a mate called "Ecky" (sp?). I'm asking on behalf of someone at work who knew him around that time but lost touch.

It's an old post but:) I used to occasionally drink in The Whetstone on Cumberland Street in the 70's and I remember a Hackenthorpe lad by the name of David Greetham who was a regular there. I got to meet him when the engine fell out of his car one night while he was in the pub. It was an old purple mini, and the engine mounts had rotted. The last straw was probably driving it across the rough ground that was then used as a car park behind the pub.

It was Gus (Gary) Fordham who put the fork through his foot, as far as I remember. In Colonel Lloyds double digging lesson.