Supertram problems

Bus, tram and rail performance is available on SYPTE's website, albeit 2016/17 data...

Bus punctuality 86.2%

Tram punctuality 93.1%

http://sypte.co.uk/PublicTransportPerformance.aspx

Not saying anyones lying but that tram punctuality looks ridiculously high . My other half waited 25 minutes for a tram this afternoon and at teatime we both waited 20 minutes . Not bad for a 10 minute service :rant:

Not saying anyones lying but that tram punctuality looks ridiculously high . My other half waited 25 minutes for a tram this afternoon and at teatime we both waited 20 minutes . Not bad for a 10 minute service :rant:

If you follow the South Yorkshire travel news feed you will see the problems the whole city's transport network has been suffering.... http://www.twitter.com/TSYalerts

If you follow the South Yorkshire travel news feed you will see the problems the whole city's transport network has been suffering.... http://www.twitter.com/TSYalerts

Thought that was the point of the information posts at tramstops

I've been commuting on the tram for 7 years now, and on the whole it has been extremely reliable. Sure you got the odd hold up and the occasional incident that caused major disruption, but by and large it could be relied upon to turn up when you expected.

These last few months, since the end of the summer holidays, it's been awful. Noticebly less reliable and ridiculously busy. There's rarely a morning these days when we're not packed in like sardines. Traffic's always bad at this time of year, but this year it seems to be having a greater impact for some reason.

Mostly this is due to a lack of tram availability thanks to the ageing fleet.

Mostly this is due to a lack of tram availability thanks to the ageing fleet.

There's no shortage of trams although they do require a bit more TLC these days, Sheffield traffic however is getting worse with trams basically disappearing into a black hole around Hillsborough.

This is posted on a day when First are reporting buses running up to an hour behind schedule due to road traffic congestion.

There's no shortage of trams although they do require a bit more TLC these days, Sheffield traffic however is getting worse with trams basically disappearing into a black hole around Hillsborough.

This is posted on a day when First are reporting buses running up to an hour behind schedule due to road traffic congestion.

There is a shortage of trams.

The Citylink fleet has been withdrawn by Stadler until the software update fixes the braking issue which caused caused a brake problem which they couldn’t be certain wouldn’t be replicated across the fleet.

Tram 113 is currently being used to provide parts to keep the other trams going and as such is in the depot, pan down, powered down and unable to move. In recent weeks tram 10 and 23 have failed in service and had to be recovered back to depot. The ongoing bogie replacement and articulation replacement programmes mean up to two additional trams are unavailable.

The increase in driver training means a reduction of at least one tram made available for training on a daily basis.

This reduces fleet availability and reduces the ability to ‘step up’ trams at halfway and Meadowhall. This increases the impact of traffic delays across the network, and has on several occasions this week alone resulted in runs being pulled to allow the tram and crew to step up from terminus.

There is a shortage of trams.

The Citylink fleet has been withdrawn by Stadler until the software update fixes the braking issue which caused caused a brake problem which they couldn’t be certain wouldn’t be replicated across the fleet.

Tram 113 is currently being used to provide parts to keep the other trams going and as such is in the depot, pan down, powered down and unable to move. In recent weeks tram 10 and 23 have failed in service and had to be recovered back to depot. The ongoing bogie replacement and articulation replacement programmes mean up to two additional trams are unavailable.

The increase in driver training means a reduction of at least one tram made available for training on a daily basis.

This reduces fleet availability and reduces the ability to ‘step up’ trams at halfway and Meadowhall. This increases the impact of traffic delays across the network, and has on several occasions this week alone resulted in runs being pulled to allow the tram and crew to step up from terminus.

having none spare is different to a shortage..

Ultimately if there wasn't traffic problems there wouldn't be delayed services although admittedly the impact of delays would be reduced if there was loads of extra trams and staff above and beyond those scheduled available to send out.

having none spare is different to a shortage..

Ultimately if there wasn't traffic problems there wouldn't be delayed services although admittedly the impact of delays would be reduced if there was loads of extra trams and staff above and beyond those scheduled available to send out.

23 trams are required to be available on a daily basis to operate the full service. There are never 23 trams available.

I’d count that as a shortage of trams.

As with most people that share my commute - there is nothing we can do. Simple fact is that the infrastructure around Hillsborough/Stannington/Rivelin/Wadsley is severely lacking, simple reason is that the building density is too high and the space to build roads too low. Only solution I can think off is a proper ringroad round the North West of the city and that will upset a lot of people.

Malin Bridge is a huge traffic-problem, not a lot can be done...

(And before you ask - no, I can't use public transport, it doubles my journey time. Doing 11 hours a day including commute is more palatable then 14 hours a day, I am sure you will understand).

My only question would be, why on earth you choose to commute 3 hours per day? That's a lot of life spent in a car.

I absolutely hate getting the tram now. I try to get on the 7:55 from Leppings Lane but sometimes it's so full you cannot physically get on. And that's only the second stop from the start of the yellow route! I usually try to get the 4:45 ish home from University and it's just as bad. They need to add more trams or make them twice as long. It's dangerous.

Also - those sign things only wind us all up more. They're in no way linked to the real-time of the trams; just go from the timetable!

I absolutely hate getting the tram now. I try to get on the 7:55 from Leppings Lane but sometimes it's so full you cannot physically get on. And that's only the second stop from the start of the yellow route! I usually try to get the 4:45 ish home from University and it's just as bad. They need to add more trams or make them twice as long. It's dangerous.

Also - those sign things only wind us all up more. They're in no way linked to the real-time of the trams; just go from the timetable!

Not just trams, busses are too full as well.

The signs are the sickest thing. I took a bus in Europe last week, it had screens that told you everything, even live flight information of the airport I was traveling to and waiting times at security.

edit: how about live train information on supertrams on way to main or meadowhall station and linking bus information at other stops?

Edited by dutch