What happened to these coach companies?

Small operator based on one of the roads that ran between Penistone Rd and Park View Rd , I think they survived into the 1960s with a grey/blue Bedford OB .

I can remember a coach company in Upperthorpe I think were called Mills Coaches. Remember that June Mills was in my sisters class at Upperthorpe school in the 50s. Remember going on an evening trip into Derbyshire and finished up at the Lathkildale Hotel. Just wondered if anyone can remember this operator.

Who remembers Hirst & Sweeting in Holme Lane? It always amazed me how the drivers got the coaches through the narrow entry into the yard.

The sign "Coaches" is still visible over the archway, or it was last time I looked.

Crosslands was a name from the mid/late sixties. I remember the sons names from my cycling days- Michael and Peter. I think the firm might have been a one man band.

Small operator based on one of the roads that ran between Penistone Rd and Park View Rd , I think they survived into the 1960s with a grey/blue Bedford OB .

Just remembered they were called Scholey's .

Was there a coach company -1960's or so- in Poole Road (or thereabouts), Darnall ?

The sign "Coaches" is still visible over the archway, or it was last time I looked....
Yes, I think the "COACH ENTRANCE" sign is still there.
...Crosslands was a name from the mid/late sixties...
The 1965 Kelly's Directory shows "W. Crossland & Sons" at 72 Whitehouse Road and "M.L. Crossland & Son" at 126 William Street, Broomhall as coach proprietors. A 1954 directory shows Dennis Crossland as a coach proprietor at 130 William Street.

Like so many at the time probably sold out to Sheffield United Tours (as my grandfather did G E Whitleys coaches).

I remember Hurst & Sweeting coaches on Holme Lane we used to go on Sunday School trips with them, G.E.Whiteleys coaches used to take us to school Worrall to Loxley in the mid 50s.

I remember Hurst & Sweeting coaches on Holme Lane we used to go on Sunday School trips with them, G.E.Whiteleys coaches used to take us to school Worrall to Loxley in the mid 50s.

Remember going with my grandfather or uncle and stopping at a school on the road that went off at an angle below where the Admira Rodney is/was think I must have been about 5 yrs old.

---------- Post added 09-02-2018 at 12:12 ----------

I remember my grandfather being lent a bus by George Gill I have a feeling that his garage was somewhere round about Hillesborough baths. Can anyone help ?

Like so many at the time probably sold out to Sheffield United Tours (as my grandfather did G E Whitleys coaches).

I remember your Grandfather he used to take us from Worrall to Loxley school on Rodney Hill the school is still there that was in the mid 50s,also Hirst & Sweetings on Holme Lane,Law Bros on Leppings Lane,Furness at High Green

As a very young boy, used to go on several coach trips from the Cross Scythes pub at Totley.. They used Furniss Coaches but was intrigued when it said on the side of the coaches - 'Exors to Furniss Coaches.' I hadn't got a clue what it meant in my early days.

A long time gone! Syd Wood was a lovely bloke - I went to school in the sixties, with his daughter Pam who came third in a Miss England beauty contest. She used to be picked on at school because she was gorgeous and the mutts who bullied her weren't! She must be nearly 60 now - scary!
I knew Pam fairly well when she used to work at Debenhams on the Moor around 1982/3

---------- Post added 10-02-2018 at 11:15 ----------

Just remembered they were called Scholey's .
we knew him as Ginger scholey i think his yard and house were taken over by Cyril Glover for car body repairs.

---------- Post added 10-02-2018 at 11:26 ----------

Eagle Coaches, as run by the Warrington family packed up in 1955. They ran some Bedford WTBs into the 1950s along with a couple of OBs. No Atkinson though, their half-cab was a Tilling-Stevens reg KWJ 141.
From 1955 they just did haulage the old man started the coach business but when he died Bill,Albert and Ethel took the firm into haulage,Bill and Albert had been Superintendents for BRS,finally Bill was the Last to go and the son wasnt interested in it and the lot went to auction around 1986

---------- Post added 10-02-2018 at 11:36 ----------

What about Greyhound coaches. Surbiton St.1950s--
Greyhound Coaches were owned by a friend of mine Bob Alexander.

---------- Post added 10-02-2018 at 11:42 ----------

I am a relative by marriage of Arthur Kitson as well!!! Arthur had 2 brothers Harry and John and they all ran the company together. Harry (my Great uncle) lived at 234 Penistone Road - now demolished - across the road from Charlie Browns. I'm really interested in talking to you.
Kitsons not only had the coaches and fuel pumps it was also a cafe and lorry drivers doss house dont forget at one time lorries could only travel at 20 or 30 MPH i used to go and look in the cafe as a kid When Regent fuel tankers were parked round the back where Bramalls is now.

---------- Post added 10-02-2018 at 11:45 ----------

Wigmores also had coaches mainly in the Thurcroft Dinnington area,