Tram Trains thread

Thanks Andy - however Supertram's journey planner continues to show the current Purple Route tram times from Herdings for weekday travel dates on & after 25th October hence it seems apparent that the journey planner hasn't yet been updated?

Incidentally the Purple tram towards town (due at Townend at 07:24) often doesn't appear at the top of the hill just after the Leighton Rd stop until at or after that time, despite usually only light traffic at that time in the morning. On some occasions I've boarded this service at Herdings Park & the tram's departed from the terminus several minutes late, despite having arrived there on time i.e. several minutes prior to the time it's due out. So while it seems to be a good idea to bring forward the departure time to allow for traffic, I still wonder whether Supertram will actually provide a service in accordance with their timetable?

Actually looks like there may be a problem with the journey planner

Will Parkgate have dedicated car parking for passengers leaving their cars there and then using the tram-train into Sheffield?

I have asked SYPTE and still waiting for a reply.

The Parkgate stop is owned by Network Rail.

The land at Parkgate is privately owned and the parking is/was operated by Total Parking Solutions.

SYPTE have no Park and Ride facilities in the area.

If Parkgate Retail see an advantage in allowing parking for the TT then TPS

will no doubt be instructed accordingly.

Any disadvantage will soon see restrictions going up.

As it is a trial for two years maybe it will be a 'wait and see' situation.

Future planning permissions might be dependent on some TT parking.

I have asked SYPTE and still waiting for a reply.

That's probably because it's got nowt to do with you. :loopy:

Seriously, why do the people here want to run everything down? This tram extension has the ability to save the future of the supertram if it's a success and could even lead to expansions again in the future if lessons have been learned (I'm sure they will have).

If we all just moan and complain about it we'll be like our grandparents generation but we'll get to tell the younguns stories about "catchin t'tram ter Medderall all t'way from Hillsborough. Eee it only cost £2.40 and took twenty minutes, and look what we've got now!"

I shudder to think what we'd end up with. Maybe more yellow bikes again? Could be flying cars but no doubt Sheffield council would find a way to block them and much rather we brought back the horse and cart so they could implement a dung tax.

They've been creating parking spaces next to the tram train stop at Parkgate around the back of Matalan.

Either that or they are going crazy with paving on the service road.

The Parkgate stop is owned by Network Rail.

The land at Parkgate is privately owned and the parking is/was operated by Total Parking Solutions.

SYPTE have no Park and Ride facilities in the area.

If Parkgate Retail see an advantage in allowing parking for the TT then TPS

will no doubt be instructed accordingly.

Any disadvantage will soon see restrictions going up.

As it is a trial for two years maybe it will be a 'wait and see' situation.

Future planning permissions might be dependent on some TT parking.

It’s already been confirmed on the Supertram twitter feed that there will be some park and ride spaces next to the tram stop at Parkgate.

It’s already been confirmed on the Supertram twitter feed that there will be some park and ride spaces next to the tram stop at Parkgate.

There is a passenger parking area including disabled bays but the number of spaces are very limited.

There is a passenger parking area including disabled bays but the number of spaces are very limited.

Which is a shame because there’s so much waste land around there it wouldn’t be hard to build a decent sized park and ride. If there’s nowhere for the good folk of Rotherham to park there’s no incentive for them to stop using the park and ride facilities in Sheffield (Meadowhall/Valley/Ikea).

Guest busdriver1
If there’s nowhere for the good folk of Rotherham to park there’s no incentive for them to stop using the park and ride facilities in Sheffield (Meadowhall/Valley/Ikea).

There is an assumption they are doing so already. Possibly they dont use park and ride at all.

---------- Post added 17-10-2018 at 20:50 ----------

Which is a shame because there’s so much waste land around there it wouldn’t be hard to build a decent sized park and ride.

I doubt the provision of a park and ride site is the key to the success of this project. For many years the People of Rotherham have been very clear that they dont want the tram in Rotherham. Even with the much more sensible off road route may not be enough to rescue it.

There is an assumption they are doing so already. Possibly they dont use park and ride at all.

I doubt the provision of a park and ride site is the key to the success of this project. For many years the People of Rotherham have been very clear that they dont want the tram in Rotherham. Even with the much more sensible off road route may not be enough to rescue it.

Have a chat with them on a morning as they're boarding the tram. All the surveys data etc shows they are.

Guest busdriver1
Have a chat with them on a morning as they're boarding the tram. All the surveys data etc shows they are.

So it looks on the face of it that some passengers may be displaced from one stop to another then.

I lived in Rotherham near the earlier proposed route to Hellaby. Councillors who were in favour were shouted down at a meeting by residents who were against it. I travelled to work in Sheffeld centre from Bramley for a number of years. The reduction in direct bus services (which I originally used) meant we needed a second car for my commute, I caught the tram from Carbrook or Centertainment before parking was restricted. If the tram route had been extended then, we might have stayed put. I'll use it, I like Parkgate.