Hibberts art shop.....

Ok, just done some checking and the relative in my tree Graham Lidgard, his mother was Mary Hibbert who married Albert Lidgard in 1931. I will do some more research.

my partners nan used to work years ago and has some original george cunninghams she also has some copies but worked there for many years

Just heard back from my second cousins husband and this is what he wrote

Muriel's husband Graham' mother (Mary) was a Hibbert. The shop in question was owned by her sister Freda, previously owned and managed by their father (possibly William)

Hope this helps.

Hi, I find myself here because of a photo I bought 40 years go from an antique shop in Maidstone, Kent. It is a very interesting photo because it shows a young woman standing in the background, a young black man sitting in the foreground next to an elderly man & woman ...My daughter-in-law is fascinated by it.....We are trying to date the photo. I would put it at about 1850 from the dress & hairstyles......last night (for the first time!) I saw a label from Hibbert bros. Sheffield on the back. It lead me here ...............A long shot but would anyone have any info. about this photo?

Can you post a picture or a link to the picture on here gilla?

The Last person to own Hibbert bros was Paul Greaves. His mum was one of the Hibberts. So i suggest you try to trace Paul. I think hes still around in the Sheffield area.

Okay, thank you .....Will do. I'll keep you informed !

Gillia has sent me a copy of the photo to upload.

This is the original, showing the framed print: LINK1

And this is a closer one that I have slightly enhanced: LINK2

Edited by handypandy

Thank you all for your help so far .......It would be so nice to find out who these people were!

I worked at Hibbert Bros in the 80's. Miss Hibbert was still involved in the business and her sister MAry Lidgard. When I was at art college I bought supplies there so I had a soft spot for the shop. Was saddened to see that it had closed.

---------- Post added 26-09-2018 at 06:37 ----------

I think Paul Greaves went to live on the east coast

---------- Post added 26-09-2018 at 06:39 ----------

I remember George Cunningham well. He went to Wjitby every year for a holiday and strangely enough we moved there.

---------- Post added 26-09-2018 at 06:45 ----------

I think Paul Greaves is living on the east coast now. I worked at Hibberts in the 80's

Thank you all for your help so far .......It would be so nice to find out who these people were!

For some reason I can't get the picture to open so can't comment on the picture itself, but, Hibberts, as well as selling pictures and supplies also provided a picture framing service. It could well be that whoever owned the picture originally had it framed at Hibberts. As well as buying several paintings from the shop during the years we lived in Sheffield, we also had pictures framed by them and they did put a sticker on the back. Sadly the Hibbert name on the photo may mean nothing more than the fact that it was taken to them to be framed.

yes I was sorry to see Hibbert's go, I bought all my George Cunningham framed art pieces and his book there.

There is not a great deal of profit in the lower level art business today, so no surprise that they would have trouble with increased taxes. Although Hibberts did not have to be in the city's high rent district, but to keep them in the city, the council should have tried to get them into an alternate location within the city's boundary.

Should there be a different tax bracket for company's in the art business, ie. encourage them to come to Sheffield ??