Hawksley Avenue, Hillsborough. 1960's

I remember Ernest Anderson and he had an engineering shop across from the bottom of Hawksley ave in the old mill yard,I remember he had a prop on the wall from a sopwith plane.

My Dad told me when i was a lad that a German Parachute land mine the size of a dustbin landed at the top near Middlewood Rd and rolled right down the Avenue exploding about half way down indeed where the more modern houses are situated. My Mum was a nurse at Middlewood Hospital and on a different shift otherwise she would have been in the house. The roof was blown off and her pet killed thats all. Dad was a crane driver at English Steel in the forge and ran home all the way fearing the worst.Italian POW's were kept at Middlewood Hospital and the grounds planted as a market garden. The local lads allegedly used to get up early and stand at Burtons corner to jeer the new influx as they were bussed in

My uncle had a peice of this parachute (green silk) unfortunately he passed away last year, and as far as I know my auntie will still have it, he lived on Hawksely Avenue during the war.

I was about the same age in the early 1950s; it certainly is surprising that we remember him. I remember the black rug over his leg - I think it came with the invalid carriage contraption. Did he have a beard? They drained the pond around 1955 to make the new concrete sides; I think it was after this that they stopped people fishing there. When the pond was empty we got loads of lovely clay to make "torch burners". Memories...

I remember him well I used to see him all over the area,at the Wednesday ground all around the park,he certainly got around.One time I witnessed him trapped under the front of a tram outside St Johns church at the bottom of Owlerton Green,I don,t know how badly he was injured but I don,t think I saw him at all after that!.I remember it upset me at the time as I was only a kid and it wasn,t very pleasant to see.

My Dad told me when i was a lad that a German Parachute land mine the size of a dustbin landed at the top near Middlewood Rd and rolled right down the Avenue exploding about half way down indeed where the more modern houses are situated. My Mum was a nurse at Middlewood Hospital and on a different shift otherwise she would have been in the house. The roof was blown off and her pet killed thats all. Dad was a crane driver at English Steel in the forge and ran home all the way fearing the worst.Italian POW's were kept at Middlewood Hospital and the grounds planted as a market garden. The local lads allegedly used to get up early and stand at Burtons corner to jeer the new influx as they were bussed in

I remember me mam saying that women were queueing for the parachute silk at the corner of holme lane and riveline rd .don't know wether it was that one though

At no 97 lives a gentleman who deserves recognition.A Richard Worrall 89 years old and has done the Sheffield half marathon and others for at least the last 20 years, raising money for western park hospital and other charities.He has lived there for at least 50 years.Should be the most famous resident of hawksley ave.

WELL DONE

If my memory serves me well I think the eagle which stood on the apex of the roof of Eagle House was made of stone.

I seem to remember seeing the broken eagle lying on the frontage one morning after it had been blown down off it's perch during the night.

I always looked upon that eagle as a kind of local landmark and the house lost it's identity.

I was always surprised it was never replaced.

Happy Days PopT

Hi PopT - I also remember the eagle and I often wondered what it was made of. Here is a link to a 1960s photo on the picturesheffield.com site that shows the garage with the eagle in position.

Hi, my family (Marshalls) lived at 71 for years and years! Our house was next door to the Warings where I used to get told off for playing in their yard! Our back yard was massive and we had 3 garages but no car! Tx

I confirm that some houses were bombed and so was the school which was there before woolies,theres a new book out called Sheffields date with Hitler and there are some photos of the bombed houses.

Where can I find the photo's, My granmother lived in one of the bombed houses.I was born and raised on Elm Terrace in Owlerton Green.Pearsons shop was at the there,I remember my mom sending me there with the ration book,and when they were closed we used to go to the back door to get served, those were the days.

I confirm that some houses were bombed and so was the school which was there before woolies,theres a new book out called Sheffields date with Hitler and there are some photos of the bombed houses.

Where can I find the photo's, My granmother lived in one of the bombed houses, and lived to tell the tale.I was born and raised on Elm Terrace in Owlerton Green.Pearsons shop was at the there,I remember my mom sending me there with the ration book,and when they were closed we used to go to the back door to get served, those were the days.

Howards-that was the name of the shop and i remember the ice sales hatch, i think the whole shop front was a yellow colour and i think my Mum used to rave about their lemon curd. I remember the generating station on the Bradfield Rd corner, there used to be a night watchman there with a coke brazier lit at night. I also recall the slipper baths at the Hilsborough Baths ,we would pay 3d for a bath as we only had a tin bath. I was last in with my two sisters using the water first! A woman in a white coat had a key fastened to her belt to turn the hot water on.

Was one of your sisters named Vivienne?

I worked for the Don Bakery from 1959 until it was bought out by Newboulds Sunblest around 1964,they were the happiest days of my working life!.I started at 16 yrs old as a van boy and in a couple of years they trained me up into a wholesale salesman,the whole working staff where friendly from top to bottom!.I made friends there that I still have today,I remained in the same type of job until my last 10 yrs of employment when I became a class 1 hgv driver on the frozen division at Fletchers Bakery another job I really enjoyed touring Britain at the firms expence,where have all the years gone?.