Jabu (Chinese dumplings & fondue)

hiya, ive been there too. Jagu is fab and fun for a meal. Its so different ive never had anything like it.

They have a feature in this month's (February) Profile magazine which finds its way through our post every month.

Jagu is fab and fun for a meal. Its so different ive never had anything like it.

I'll change the name on my posts - in my defence I was told it was Jabu I didn't look that closely :blush:

wouldnt say it was upmarket though, like a cafe syle more than a resturant.

You have a point but according to a friend who lived & worked in China for a year it's very authentic chinese food :)

Moderator Note

London Road Chinese thread merged with this one.

Joe

are the dumplings similar to the ones traditionally served with stew in English cooking?? Love those - in fact mouth is watering as i speak (type!):P

No - as far as I know they aren't made with suet ;) They're traditional chinese ones ( boiled not fried) they have a filling (veg or meat)

They're a bit like the ones you get in wonton soup I'd say but bigger & not in the soup :P

v yummy (my mouth is watering too now!)

Originally posted by theflyingfish

Thanks. The article said that it was going to be quite upmarket and sort of contemporary modern - is this the same place then?

The article was talking about a new chinese restaurant which will be called Mao, and opens in March - see City magazine for more info (Jan and Feb issue), and yes, it's the guys behind WasabiSabi.

Think The Pin Up Club residents will be playing at the launch party........ ;)

Can't wait.

Originally posted by BDP100

The article was talking about a new chinese restaurant which will be called Mao, and opens in March - see City magazine for more info (Jan and Feb issue), and yes, it's the guys behind WasabiSabi.

Can't wait.

Did the article say where on London Road this new place would be?

Originally posted by BDP100

Can't wait.

Yes, that's it! Not open yet then, damn. Well maybe I will try Jagu this week. is it best to make a reservation for a saturday night?

I went to Jabu yesterday for lunch with a friend of mine and it was superb.

The staff were friendly and the waitress absolutely superb. We had personal attention from start to finish - saying this the place was very quiet - however she took the time to explain everything to us, brought us complimentary chinese tea whilst we were deciding what to have and even suggested things that she thought we might enjoy without going to the expense (she said) of ordering things we may not like. The fondue thing was great fun (if a little messy with my poor attempts at using chopsticks!):rolleyes: and i enjoyed the whole event so much i am thinking of going there with a party of friends for my birthday at the end of this month.

They aren't licensed but you can take wine and they charge £1.50 corkage.

Complimentary mints were brought at the end of the meal, along with two lucky charm souvenirs to celebrate the Chinese New Year (the rooster if anyone is interested!)

Recommend this place thoroughly for good, fresh food, excellent friendly service and something that bit different to the usual. Go before it starts getting busy! ;)

I think it's great that this part of London Road seems to becoming Sheffield's own Chinatown... I think this should be encouraged! Mmmmm, Chinese food...