The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Speaking as one of the few I'd like to know what if anything a Labour government could do for me ? I receive disability benefits now having to retire from the NHS due to ill health some years ago. I've never had a well paid job but my wife and I bought up two kids and managed to have a decent life. It wasn't always easy but on the whole not to bad. But what I've never been is bothered about is other people's wealth so long has they pay their taxes. Throughout history rich & poor have existed side by side even in communist countries. I've found my lifestyle doesn't change a lot under whoever is in power.

Edited by hobinfoot

The difference being that Labour aren’t the boss. They also didn’t cause any of this.
My point being that this difference is completely moot: Labour is as divided over Brexit as the Tories. As witnessed time and again, and today at the conference still.

Labour did not cause the referendum. But they have an equal share as the Tories in the socio-economic policies and laissez-faire of the past decades that have led to the popular sentiment underlying the Brexit vote. And a clear liability for dereliction of duty as HMG’s opposition over the past 2 years.

They have used the past 2 years for political advantage, rather than in the best interest of the country.

My money is on a second referendum with three options, including remain. Nothing else will get through the commons.
My money has been on an accidental crash-out (or bare-bones agreed Brexit, little difference in practice) since little over a year now (hence our brexodus earlier this year), and nothing that I’ve seen of U.K. politics since is apt to change my mind. The U.K. political class as a whole is as snookered as before, likewise the U.K. because of it.

By the current reporting of most political commentators (MSM & insiders) currently the only consensus in the Commons seems to be for a Norway-level deal. There’s a political chasm between Chequers and that, and less than a few weeks left to bridge it. Sorry to break it to you (again), but you’re Brexiting. No ifs or buts.

Edited by L00b

This 'Labour' movement under comrade Corbyn are dangerous.

They need to be kept out of government.

Just been watching their conference - waving Palestine flags at every opportunity. If only they could wave the Union flag with such passion.

Speaking as one of the few I'd like to know what if anything a Labour government could do for me ? I receive disability benefits now having to retire from the NHS due to ill health some years ago. I've never had a well paid job but my wife and I bought up two kids and managed to have a decent life. It wasn't always easy but on the whole not to bad. But what I've never been is bothered about is other people's wealth so long has they pay their taxes. Throughout history rich & poor have existed side by side even in communist countries. I've found my lifestyle doesn't change a lot under whoever is in power.

That's a very good honest post. What has changed over the years is the price of houses and the amount hard working people have to pay in rent compared to their income. In the past nearly everyone working hard could afford to buy their own home, but sadly the way things are today, it's not possible for every hard honest working person to own their own home. None of the political parties are likely to make it any easier for people who haven't got well paid jobs to own their own homes.

Rightmove currently has 25 pages of properties in Sheffield for £100 000, or less. That's almost 600 properties.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E1195&maxPrice=100000&includeSSTC=false

There is plenty of affordable property out there.

There's some for even less. £48,000 for a 2 bedroom terrace:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67302328.html

But sadly people don't want to start on the bottom rung of the property ladder anymore, they want to start half way up.

---------- Post added 25-09-2018 at 16:49 ----------

Just been watching their conference - waving Palestine flags at every opportunity.

Or wearing "I Love Jeremy" T shirts, or carrying "Love Corbyn" bags. And people say its not a cult!

On one of the News channels they interviewed Labour people outside of the conference, who were not happy that there should be any remain option, if there was another referendum.

That must have been one of the 14% who support Brexit. The other 86% of delegates want all options on any ballot paper!

Labour getting itself into a mess with their Brexit stance again

It's called democracy and having a diverse range of opinions.

You can't accuse Labour of being a Stalinist party with Momentum pulling the strings behind the scene then carp on about delegates putting forward a whole range of different opinions. :suspect:

I cannot vote Labour since they have done nothing for me or will do anything for me in the future.

At least the Tory governement has secured my job for the next 30 years.

That must have been one of the 14% who support Brexit. The other 86% of delegates want all options on any ballot paper!

You're deluded if you think only 14% of Labour voters support Brexit. The actual delegates only make up a small fraction of Labour voters. You're addicted to quoting statistics.

Any comment on the police Protection issue at the conference.?.

Sorry, been at work all day

You're addicted to quoting statistics.

Shocker isn't it?

Nothing worse for someone talking nonsense, than when someone along comes along and ruins it all with facts! :D

You're deluded if you think only 14% of Labour voters support Brexit. The actual delegates only make up a small fraction of Labour voters. You're addicted to quoting statistics.

65% of them voted remain in the referendum....