Demolition of old factory in Meersbrook

Does anyone know what is happening to the old factory/warehouses on Valley Road in Meersbrook?

They are in the process of being demolished, but I can't find any info about what will replace them - or if they are being converted into housing.

Also, any idea what is going to replace the terraced houses that have recently been knocked down on Chesterfield Rd?

Erection of 39 apartments with associated car parking.

Go to the Council Website showing the Agenda for the City Centre South and East Planning and Highways Area Board Agenda 19th September 2005 - HERE.

Click on "APPLICATIONS UNDER VARIOUS ACTS/REGULATIONS" and you will open a large .pdf document.

Look for Case Number 05/02276/REM on Page 98.

The convoluted way to find these kind of reports is to do a search on the Planning Applications page.

Find the relevant Application Number and then call 273 4215 and ask them which Committee Meeting and on what date the application was presented to.

You then have to look for the Agenda for the relevant committee meeting of that date via this page and look for the report usually in a downloadable document..

I've noticed that they're burning a lot of the debris on site. Is that legal? Given that three fire engines were called and the road blocked off a few days back, I think we can assume it isn't safe!

They are not allowed to burn debris on-site.

I can't think of the name of the relevant officer/department but if you call 273 4215 (Planning Switchboard) and they will help you find out who to talk to.

cheers :) I'll be walking past in an hour or so, so if they're at it again I'll give 'em a ring.

Originally posted by cgksheff

They are not allowed to burn debris on-site.

I can't think of the name of the relevant officer/department but if you call 273 4215 (Planning Switchboard) and they will help you find out who to talk to.

They've been burning stuff on-site for the majority of the past 2 weeks (maybe longer)

I've been following this site development *very* closely as we ajoin it. I'll check with the planning officer involved about the burning of debris etc. - having see them do it so much I'd (wrongly) assumed that they were allowed to do this. The fires have been perilously large / high at times, so most interested to hear more about this (i.e. where did you get the info re: they can't burn debris on site etc.?) - please PM me about it with a web link or some other form of confirmation on this if you have one - thanks.

We had a similar situation on a development site (a couple of years ago) and, after contacting the council, an officer came out, chatted to me and confirmed that it was illegal and he was issuing them with a warning.

I cannot remember exactly who ended up coming out but my first contact was through Planning Enforcement. The officer may have been from Environmental Control.

Originally posted by cgksheff

We had a similar situation on a development site (a couple of years ago) and, after contacting the council, an officer came out, chatted to me and confirmed that it was illegal and he was issuing them with a warning.

I cannot remember exactly who ended up coming out but my first contact was through Planning Enforcement. The officer may have been from Environmental Control.

Thanks for this. I have just emailed the planning officer connected with this development, so he's in the loop.

I have a horrid feeling that the horse may well have bolted on this though. Reason being because although they've been having BIG fires on-site since day one of the demolition (including the ridiculous lighting of the chimney.. but that's another story) - I sense that they might now have cleared enough to not need any more fires etc. (so probably can't be retrospectively "warned" about it?)

Needless to say, if I spot any more the trusty digital camera will be coming out for "future reference" ;)

Does anyone know if they are knocking the front of the building down (the only bit still standing now)? Would be a shame if they were as its quite nice really.. also is the house next door (which is fenced off) getting demolished too?

Originally posted by Anne23

Does anyone know if they are knocking the front of the building down (the only bit still standing now)? Would be a shame if they were as its quite nice really.. also is the house next door (which is fenced off) getting demolished too?

Sorry to be able to confirm, but the whole lot is coming down :(

(worst of all, this also includes the beautiful red brick chimney at the heart of the site)

*Sigh*

:(

Originally posted by EricaJane

Does anyone know what is happening to the old factory/warehouses on Valley Road in Meersbrook?

That's a shame. Let me guess what's going up in their place? More flats? :roll:

Shame.. I hate bits of sheffield history being erased for some dull flat complex. Makes me really angry so I try not to think about it too much.

:rant: